'Flirt With The Dales' - Hebden Bridge/Bolton Abbey/Gargrave/Trawden - this weekend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Calum and I were unable to complete our hilly ride last weekend when we discovered that his rear wheel didn't have proper rim tape in it. We made this discovery after his rear tube started puncturing at regular intervals. Very disappointing that, so we feel like doing another ride this weekend. I don't fancy riding out Emley Moor way again just yet so I'm proposing a trip out to the fringes of the Yorkshire Dales instead. Some of the route is the old Spring Into The Dales route in reverse so I thought I'd pay homage by naming this route 'Flirt With The Dales'!

Route: Hebden Bridge, Oxenhope, Sawood, Cullingworth, Harden, Bingley, Crossflatts, West Morton, Brunthwaite, Nab End, Nudge Hill, then descend to the A65 and take the old SITD footbridge over the Wharfe at Addingham (warning - steep steps not good for Look cleats or recumbents!), Beamsley, Bolton Bridge, Cavendish Pavilion (toilets/cafe stop?), Barden, Barden Scale, Halton Moor, Embsay, north on B6265 to Rylstone, Hetton, Gargrave (famous Dalesman cafe), Broughton, cross the A59 (caution - busy!), Elslack, Elslack Moor, Black Lane Ends, Laneshaw Bridge, Trawden, Coldwell (cafe?), Widdop, Slack, Lee Wood road, Hebden Bridge.

I clock it at 112 km with about 2,200 m of climbing (70 miles, 7,200 ft) so its stats are very similar to SITD. We could call in at the cyclists' cafe at Gargrave after 73 km but could also make short stops at Cavendish Pavilion (after 47 km) and/or Coldwell Activity Centre cafe (after 96 km).

It could be on Saturday or Sunday. Whichever has the better weather really. At the moment, the forecast is better for Saturday but that could change as we get closer to the weekend so I'd rather not fix the day until a more accurate forecast is available.

Some of the route will be familiar to those of you who are regulars on my rides or who have ridden SITD. There are a few sections that I haven't ridden before, including one from Barden Scale to Embsay which is supposed to be very scenic and I'm looking forward to checking out.

Usual rules - I'm a slow climber so wait for me at the summits please! Nobody gets left behind but you should be confident of tackling a hilly ride of this distance. Some of the hills are steep! It is likely to take me 8 - 8.5 hours to complete this route and I expect we would start at about 09:30 so we'd be getting back to Hebden Bridge at roughly 17:30 - 18:00.

Note one thing though - I developed a sore leg at the weekend so I will be cycling tomorrow to check that it is likely to be okay for this coming ride - watch this space!

So, anybody free and interested? :laugh:

aJohnson

I'll try to make it. Trying to get some different wheels on my bike but the tyres on the different wheels are so hard to get off and I managed to slice the innertube so now I have to get the tyres off.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

aJohnson said:
I'll try to make it. Trying to get some different wheels on my bike but the tyres on the different wheels are so hard to get off and I managed to slice the innertube so now I have to get the tyres off.
It's good practice for you - much better to get good at it at home, than having to learn at the side of the road in a thunderstorm! :blush:

RedBike said:
Drat.
Sorry Colin I'm doing some daft event across Wales.
Involving hundreds of miles and sleep deprivation?

Sunday is looking better from a weather point of view. I didn't get out today but will try to tomorrow to test my leg. It feels better than it did, but not quite right yet.

aJohnson

ColinJ said:
It's good practice for you - much better to get good at it at home, than having to learn at the side of the road in a thunderstorm! :blush:

Well I'm usually quick at taking tyres off and on but it was these tyres on these different wheels which were extremely tight, I've managed it now though. :wacko:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

bromptonfb said:
i will join but if its too fast for the brompton i'll drop out at coldwell. either day for me.
Very good!

It won't be quick - we were only averaging about 13 kph (8 mph) on Sunday before the mechanicals! Calum and aJ (if he comes) are much quicker than me uphill. In fact you probably will be too after your months of long commutes. I am quicker than aJ downhill but that doesn't make up any time because it just means everybody waits for me at summits and I wait for everyone else after descents!

It would probably make sense for you to head for home from Coldwell anyway, otherwise you'd be adding about 20 miles or so to the 70-odd that we'll be doing. Feel free if you want to of course!

aJohnson said:
Well I'm usually quick at taking tyres off and on but it was these tyres on these different wheels which were extremely tight, I've managed it now though. ;)
Calum was getting really good at it after doing it about 6 times on the trot!

Actually some wheel/tyre combinations are swines. My Michelin Pro Race tyres were really awkward on my Cannondale's Campagnolo Proton wheels. I punctured on a hot day in the mountains on the Costa Blanca once and I was so knackered that it took me 30 minutes to get the tyre back on! I thought I was going to be stranded at the roadside...

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
ColinJ said:
Very good!

It won't be quick - we were only averaging about 13 kph (8 mph) on Sunday before the mechanicals! Calum and aJ (if he comes) are much quicker than me uphill. In fact you probably will be too after your months of long commutes. I am quicker than aJ downhill but that doesn't make up any time because it just means everybody waits for me at summits and I wait for everyone else after descents!

It would probably make sense for you to head for home from Coldwell anyway, otherwise you'd be adding about 20 miles or so to the 70-odd that we'll be doing. Feel free if you want to of course!

Calum was getting really good at it after doing it about 6 times on the trot!

Actually some wheel/tyre combinations are swines. My Michelin Pro Race tyres were really awkward on my Cannondale's Campagnolo Proton wheels. I punctured on a hot day in the mountains on the Costa Blanca once and I was so knackered that it took me 30 minutes to get the tyre back on! I thought I was going to be stranded at the roadside...

on a heavy heavy brompton. i doubt it very much. if i am too slow you can leave me behind. you know i know my way around them there hills.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Colin - I'm free on Sunday and can join you from Bingley.

Weather looks the same for both days according to Met Office.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Moodyman said:
Colin - I'm free on Sunday and can join you from Bingley.

Weather looks the same for both days according to Met Office.
It's always good to meet another CC member! I've lost count of how many it is so far, but I'd guess it is about 25. [PS It's more than that - I've just looked back through my blog and 26 different CC members have ridden with me since Jan 2009. I probably met 4 or 5 more before starting the blog so the total is nearer 30]

bromptonfb said:
sunday only for me now. job just come in that has to be sat.
Right, Sunday it is then. Meet at the usual Market Place car park in Hebden Bridge at 09:30 with a view to setting off at 09:45 after Calum has ridden over from the railway station.

Moodyman - assuming that we set off on time and don't have any repeat of the mechanical problems that wrecked Calum's ride last weekend, I'd guesstimate that we will arrive in Bingley between 11:15 and 11:30. We will be turning left onto the B6265 and then right off that up Morton Lane. If you wait for us at the bottom of Morton Lane at 11:15 we'll try not to keep you hanging about too long. Despite being a mobile-phone-phobe I do carry one on CC forum rides to be fair to you chaps if there is a problem. I'll PM my number to you.

If any of you have a problem on Sunday morning, text me - I never manage to get my phone out in time to take voice calls because the damn thing only rings a few times before diverting to voicemail. I'm sure it's Orange's way of making more money and it really annoys me!

I always check the forum before setting off so if you aren't coming just post in this thread to let me know and then we won't hang about for you.

Anybody else fancy joining us? It's a tough hilly route but I've ridden 90% of it before and it is a good 'un!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Kestevan said:
Ooooohhhh I'm sorely tempted...

I'll have to check and see if I'm allowed to come and play :biggrin:
The more the merrier!

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get to Market Place car park before 09:45 because we won't be hanging about once all those officially riding have gathered!

getmapimage.asp

It's a long stay pay-and-display car park and is only about 30p/hour. NB - wardens regularly patrol here and issue £70 fines so make sure you pay enough! (I reckon that we will probably get back around 18:00)

Alternatively, there is a stretch of the A646 between Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd here where there aren't any yellow lines so if you can find a spot, you could park there and ride in. That's on the right as you come from Mytholmroyd.

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

tubbycyclist

ColinJ said:
The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

I am a newbie on here, but was thinking about coming along - if that is OK with you lot and I can agree a pass out. Managed Spring Into the Dales ( just about - with an hour to spare) but you may have to wait for me on climbs!

Just a quick note on access to the car park - Bridge Gate is closed at the moment so drivers may have to follow the diversion which is signposted.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

tubbycyclist said:
I am a newbie on here, but was thinking about coming along - if that is OK with you lot and I can agree a pass out. Managed Spring Into the Dales ( just about - with an hour to spare) but you may have to wait for me on climbs!
Hi tc - welcome to CycleChat!

You managed SITD so you should be able to manage this ride too since it is pretty similar in length and hilliness. Sounds like you took about the same time as I did with fellow CC rider Alun this year.

I've put over 2 stone on since 2006 so I'm not exactly quick uphill these days either!

tubbycyclist said:
Just a quick note on access to the car park - Bridge Gate is closed at the moment so drivers may have to follow the diversion which is signposted.
That's a permanent closure as part of the pedestrianisation scheme, or did you mean Old Gate? (If that is closed, I hadn't noticed it.)

So the current rider list is...

From Hebden Bridge:
  • ColinJ
  • Calum
  • bromptonfb
  • aJohnson
  • Kestevan (subject to pass)
  • tubbycyclist (subject to pass)

From Bingley:
  • Moodyman

I've put the route up on Bikely but that site is really slow recently - you might need to try it lots of times before you can get it to load. Route here.

Just a reminder - we will be going down some steps and crossing a footbridge over the Wharfe at Addingham so if you use Look pedals you might want to bring some cleat covers!

Top Bottom