FNRttC FNRttC 3rd July to Brighton - the 'Genteel' ride 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
well if Ape is up for it I quite fancy a repeat of Brighton and home again. Pub lunch in Lurgeshall anyone? Dun Run is just too awkward to get to and from for me.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'll join you on that one MacB, if I may, though apres dejeuner I will head west back to the 'Sham

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
dellzeqq said:
.......and listen, chaps. Don't worry about the handbags. There are enough lying around this house for each and every one of you.

I heard you say The Kid had been having a clear out.

Our local equivalent, Bunny Lake, who I should like to stress has only ever been missing for about 4 hours in 19 years, has just come into three or four new handbags. I suspect the actual number to be higher but I had to leave the room as I was coming over all Victorian at the obvious handbag buying collusion of Bunny, the lovely Helen her mother and M her aunt.

Is this great disturbance in the handbag force a seasonal thing?

Dan B

Disengaged member
dellzeqq said:
.......and listen, chaps. Don't worry about the handbags. There are enough lying around this house for each and every one of you.
I was planning just to keep posting in P+L until I get one thrown at me. Should take about ten minutes

MacB

GrumpyGreg said:
I'll join you on that one MacB, if I may, though apres dejeuner I will head west back to the 'Sham

of course you may sir, plans will be fluid as usual but, assuming I attend then it will be:-

home - HPC
HPC - Gatwick
Gatwick - Brighton
Brighton - Lurgeshall(think we can skip the extra 20 miles along the coast this time!!!)
Lurgeshall - home, via some stupendous hills, short and vicious, long and draining

As I have no intent re the Dun Run I should think the above will be a definite. I also have a barbag with mapholder now, so we may not be as badly Garminated as usual:biggrin:

MacB

Aperitif said:
a) :thumbsup::becool:

B) "Bo11ocks" :thumbsup:

now, now, no need to get defensive over your Garmin, we've already established that it's a good piece of kit, Sitting Duck has had no problems. Unfortunately that leads us to the conclusion that you're actually a bit faulty, possibly no big surprise:biggrin:

So what think you Big Fella? Brighton and back or are you Dun Running it, I cannot believe you plan both?

MacB

so, a rough look on google maps gives, Brighton to home, via Lurgashall, as 56.5miles, with 32.9miles to Lurgashall. Sounds rather pleasant to me, breakfast on the front then 33miles to a nice pub lunch. Suitably fortified I can then 'head for the hills' and home. Leave Brighton by 0930, allow 3.5 hours to Lurgeshall, so lunch at 1300hrs. Next leg to begin, slightly guiness fuelled, at 1500hrs and home by about 1700hrs.

Maybe RichP might fancy a run out from Brighton for lunch and home again?

MacB - take a look at the wincy bit I posted on BOAB's thread last night - includes added rich p ~ "for that more refined taste in rides...":smile:

Sittingduck managed to use his Garmin to navigate from the bed to the bog and back to bed again last Sunday morning...I could do that in a couple of hours.:becool:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
MacBludgeon said:
I also have a barbag with mapholder now, so we may not be as badly Garminated as usual:biggrin:

That's way better than combination of sleep deprivation flap jack overload and 1:250000 scale map I used to get myself lost navigate by on Saturday morning

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Aperitif said:
Sittingduck managed to use his Garmin to navigate from the bed to the bog and back to bed again last Sunday morning...I could do that in a couple of hours.;)

Better to be safe then sorry!
I am loving my Garmin by the way :wacko: (even though it seems to take a couple of mins to connect to the sattellites every time I turn it on).

SD

Thread back on track as the genteel ride to Brighton - MacBludgeon will shortly be announcing the departures from Madeira tables schedule as a 'Part-work'.

Genteel people come in your hoardes to Brighton-Under-Lune :wacko:
Hoardes I said...Ah:wacko: - I'm going back to Whitstable. ;)

"Not Whistle you idiot - Whistleable! Whitstable!"

TimO said:
I think I need to do this one, since I haven't managed a Brighton run yet this year, and since I'm currently using a bike with gears, I should be able to haul myself up the beacon, and prove that I can do it!

For a real challenge I should borrow Cam off of NSTN and pop her on the Yak Bob, but I don't think I'm quite that insane. Do you want to borrow the trailer NSTN, it's dead easy to fit it to most bikes. :becool:

(I suppose I could pop Talisker on the trailer, he's a fair bit lighter than Cam, but much less inclined to stay where he's put, and not a big enthusiast of leads either. This is understandable, since he's more of the feline persuasion than of the canine.)

Oh g'wan Tim, what's 18 kilos between friends :bicycle: I'm sure she'd enjoy the ride. Her attempting to leave the trailer every time she saw something worth chasing would add especial flavour...

I won't be taking you up on your kind offer, since I can barely haul myself up the Beacon, gears or not!

hatler

Guru
I'm very sorry to have to report that despite plans for a mass attack of hatlers on the Beacon, it is not to be.

The Saturday is the school's Summer Fair, and I'm manning the bar. And Mrs hatler is managing the whole day. No pass outs allowed.

Grrrrr.

hatler

Guru
AdrianC said:
That is sad, but understandable. The sight of Hatlers at the greenhouses, especially with flasks of coffee, is one of the highlights of a Brighton run.
If it's hatlers at the greenhouses then we've never been without coffee.

Sadly there isn't another Brighton run this year we can do. If the weather is clement I might make the November one, but otherwise it's next year before we see coffee at the greenhouses again.

Booo hisssss.

Sorry about that.

(Unless of course I could persuade myself that driving down with a couple of flasks of coffee, mini-hatler and our two bikes in the car just for him to have a crack at the Beacon might just, possibly, in a parallel universe somewhere, be considered a good idea.)

Top Bottom