FNRttC FNRttC Cambridge to Kings Lynn August 30th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just been looking on Google Earth and looks like a route not too far from the ferry. Not too worried about a bit of mud.
I'd not try to go along the board walk south of the ferry pier to reach the dirt track. The slaloms on it may not be obvious on satellite images but they are difficult for wheelchairs, while tricycles and long wheelbase bikes have to be lifted over. Instead, exit along Bankside and the road out to the old garage at the T junction, then a cycleway takes you to the river and into town along its east bank where 20mph streets will take you to Ferry Lane to meet the ferry.

You may be arriving into town just as a group of us leave on a hundred mile ride into Holland Parts of Lincolnshire and back. You're welcome to join us if you can stand our blistering 10mph pace! Otherwise, I commend Norbury's bakery and Soul Cafe in Tower Street and the Filling Station in Norfolk Street as good central cafes. Marriott's Warehouse on the South Quay has the riverfront views but maybe is Cambridge prices more than Lynn ones ;) If anyone's catching a train but has a few minutes to wait, I suggest getting a coffee or ice cream from the cafe by National 1 in the Walks just south of the tracks. Opens 10am I think. The station buffet coffee is not very good, but much else in it seems OK.

OP
OP
Nick Saddlesore

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
We're coming across from West Lynn.
All routes have been ridden, ferry has been forewarned, pub is booked for breakfast - it's a Fridays ride.

mjr

We're coming across from West Lynn.
All routes have been ridden, ferry has been forewarned, pub is booked for breakfast - it's a Fridays ride.
I know you're coming in from West Lynn and assumed you'd warned the ferry, but the reference to mud above made me think someone was considering taking a recumbent along the west bank which is worth warning against IMO. It's all up to you, of course.

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
I was mentioning bridleway / track earlier on in the route (heading into Ely), which I'd assumed was the bit Mr Saddlesore meant. Not familiar with the West Lynn approach.
Apologies if I'm confusing matters!! :blush:

Station buffet has been very patient with me in the past, including a request for lukewarm tea so I could down in haste before dashing for the train ^_^

kimble

Veteran
Upferit in principle, but not signing up until I've proven that I can do >100km without Achilles problems. (riding at someone else's slow pace for hours on the Dun Run set it off, and while I'm now pain-free, it's weak and Not Quite Right™ so I'm building back up gently.)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
It needs a wash, so no so much on the 'bright' :blush:
Gravel bikes attract muck, don't they? :smile:

fuboab

Fat bird
I'm in, coming down in first class, returning in cattle. I'm not sure they'd let me in First after riding all night. That, and the lack of any super-discount- offers.
The responsible adults come from further north than me and have balked at a £200+ train fare. Can't say I blame them, tbh.
I'm hoping for some new roads. And possibly tracks.

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
The gate at Barway (Bertie for comparative size, 48cm frame) with views back up the track and down track toward Ely. The track section is about 1km, then across a cattle grid up onto tarmac path.
IMG_20190730_175139.jpg IMG_20190730_175145.jpg IMG_20190730_175054.jpg IMG_20190730_175059.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nick Saddlesore

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
I think we're following Route 11 - right fork after Barway on the other side of the drain. On the recce we followed a sign to the right down a very short gravel descent, then it got better. I can't see it on Google, so I'll rely on the Garmin. What could go wrong?

mjr

I think we're following Route 11 - right fork after Barway on the other side of the drain. On the recce we followed a sign to the right down a very short gravel descent, then it got better. I can't see it on Google, so I'll rely on the Garmin. What could go wrong?
National 11 is OK but presumably you leave it somewhere to head to TSC - maybe at the junction with National 1? If so, may I suggest using London Road to cut out the wiggles and obstacle course between Denver and Downham Lynn Road unless you really like unnecessary detours with bridges and sand.

Top Bottom