FNRttC FNRttC Cambridge to Kings Lynn August 30th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
I think we're following Route 11 - right fork after Barway on the other side of the drain. On the recce we followed a sign to the right down a very short gravel descent, then it got better. I can't see it on Google, so I'll rely on the Garmin. What could go wrong?

That's the section in my photos above ☺️ it does get better. There's the NCN11 sticker on the gate in the photo :smile:
I've done that bit in the dark before too!

Last edited:

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
The train line goes from King's Lynn via Ely to London. There's also helpful potential bail stations at Downham Market and Littleport.
Yes it is on road. Or as close as the Fens get anyway :laugh:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I'm thinking of riding from London up to Cambridge during the day, probably using something similar to the excellent Fridays route. Weather permitting i was thinking of using the single speed but talk of a gravel section makes me wonder if that's wise. What do you think? 35 mm tyres more sensible?

Edit to add: I suppose I should sign up and book a day off...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nick Saddlesore

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Thanks. When it was last checked by @robjh the main concern was how overgrown it might be.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
It's great to see this discussion because I'm thinking of riding the Thorn Raven which has Rohloff hub, 26 inch wheels 2 inch tyres and I might bring camping kit so I can spend a day or so touring up there afterwards. This talk of a piddly bit of gravel and peeps discussing tyres make me feel that perhaps I won't stand out like a sore thumb with an expedition bike. And I can blame the bike for me being slow, instead of age and decrepitude.

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
The left side of the track (heading Ely-wards) is a bit overgrown (as of 1330 today :tongue:) but the right hand is fine. The river bank section before the pumping station has been cut back so is tidy at present.
The main hazard in daylight hours is headphone wearing pedestrians and their randomly roaming dogs.
Oh and the cows appear to have been moved to other grazing - so no fresh cowpats or bovine path blocks currently ^_^

robjh

Legendary Member
Oh and did I say that Ely cathedral isn't lit up at night? Much to my surprise and disappointment I should add, but it is still an impressively looming dark hulk when you get up close to it at midnight.

Top Bottom