FNRttC FNRttC Cambridge to Kings Lynn August 30th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Another new destination;

Almost Dutch. From the Greens of Cambridge across Fenland, a vast watery landscape of rivers, peat beds and marshes. A short stretch of bridleway, followed by the only climb to The Ship of The Fens, Ely Cathedral at all of 26 metres above sea level. Onwards along canal banks with sodium-lit crop picking to our halfway stop at Welney Wetland Centre. Final leg through a village named for us to the Cathedral of Marshland at Terrington St Clement and then West Lynn for a ferry (£1.20) to our destination. For a feel of where we're going, settle down to this video

Meet in front of Cambridge station by 23.30 for midnight start. Cheapest trains from London are from Liverpool Street, alternatively faster but more expensive from King's Cross. Cycles are allowed on both routes, no reservation required. King's Lynn trains return direct to King's Cross. A ride of 110km, with just 340m climbing. And no shelter if there's a headwind. Register on the website.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Leave booked. Registered.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Hmm.
On the minus side:
  • it's a longer train journey than usual for me.
  • It's a long way off and I don't usually sign up with five weeks to go.
  • It's a longish train journey home when I'm tired
  • On the Sunday I'm a marshal at a running event so I'll be knackered I'm sure
And yet ....
  • It's a route by @Nick Saddlesore so it's guaranteed to be good
  • It'll be well planned and the trains will work cos he says so
  • The halfway stop will be good because it's a Nick route
  • It sounds very like the atmos on the York-Hull ride - flat, canal side riding on quiet roads. Much like the late, lamented, Brussels-Ostend ride.
  • I can sleep in the train home just like after York-Hull.
  • Train tickets seem to be £16.55 for an anytime day single from King's cross to Cambridge and £17.25 all the way from King's Lynn to King's cross.
  • I'm a sucker for an adventure especially when there's a ferry
I'm in.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
@mmmmartin I'm biased (cos I live in Ely) but I think it's a great route.
The café stop does excellent cake - the manager is a keen ultrarunner / triathlete who I think will be on hand.
EXCELLENT CAIK?

just paid £7.90 for an advance single from l'poo st to Cambridge on the 21:28 train.

Haven't bought a return, might pack a tent and spend a while up there. Nice part of the world.

OP
OP
Nick Saddlesore

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Is it a Recumbent trike friendly route

The first bit of the bridleway could be interesting, even for upright bikes, but some might walk it anyway. There aren't any width barriers, just Sustrans conditions. If it's muddy we'll avoid completely.
The ferry might be impractical, but contact me when you enter and I'll send you a good alternative.

The first bit of the bridleway could be interesting, even for upright bikes, but some might walk it anyway. There aren't any width barriers, just Sustrans conditions. If it's muddy we'll avoid completely.
The ferry might be impractical, but contact me when you enter and I'll send you a good alternative.
Just been looking on Google Earth and looks like a route not too far from the ferry. Not too worried about a bit of mud.

Top Bottom