FNRttC FNRttC Christmas Ride " Reach for the Stars' Monday 28th December 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@User13710 could you hire a Boris Bike? I know they're horrid to ride, but we're only going about 8 miles.....
Theyre not simply "horrid". If you're petite, they're virtually impossible ride at all. There is a reason all those teenage Japanese girls end up wobbling and falling over on the pavements.

StuartG

slower but further
I can't find a dock at East Croydon on the website either, I think it's not available yet?
That's weird. It's there right across the road from the station together with (a few weeks ago) banners up and down the road proclaiming it open. But I agree no mention on the website. Perhaps someone might ring Brompton to clarify (I'm not able to call during the day atm).

U

User10571

Across the road from the station? By a process of street view fu, and a lemon nation.

Tim Hall

2015-12-11 14.19.25.jpg

Meanwhile, at Three Bridges...

U

User10571

The only reason I am favouring Croydon over Three Bridges is because it would be a PITA to get a bike out at 3B only to have the driver of the replacement bus refuse to let it on board. I have tried to reason with a driver of a replacement bus, and it is absolutely futile.
Out of curiosity, was this with a folded folder / Brommie ?
They're supposed to accept those on board.
And in my (limited) experience, they do.
In other news... I've found replacement bus service drivers to be pragmatic - on occasion.
Philippa and self were able to load our (non-folding) bikes onto a bus replacement service somewhere like Gillingham, en route on a return trip from Whizzy-Bell.
Also in the luggage compartment of that bus was six seater flatpack dining table.
About twice the volumetric size of both bikes put together.
Just saying'.....

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
SWT replacement bus services do not carry 'bulky luggage or cycles'. No mention of folders, although the National Rail website says that they are OK on replacement buses. I do not wish to find out which is right at past midnight on a Monday morning forty miles from home.....

U

User10571

Jenny, it sounds like your bus driver will wonder once a year, every year, why it is that's its always his colleagues and never him that get nominated for the Best Delivery of Customer Services Annual Award. And you are right, with people like that you cannot win.
You are also right in as much as the bus we caught from Gillingham was a coach, with a generously proportioned luggage section under the floor.
FTR I've had the Brommie on Bus / Rail replacement (dis)services around Londres (where the buses are generally London stylee double deckers) without issues - but I can entirely see how issues may arise if there is more than one person with a (folded) bike, a wheelchair user, a push chair user or a curmudgeon at the wheel.

Tim Hall

Another option, to further muddy the waters:
Jump on train a Brighton, complete with Normal Bike
Leap off at Three Bridges
Cycle, with various reprobates, 5 miles to East Grinstead, using the Worth Way (a disused railway cycle track, fine for 25mm tyres).
Jump on train to Victoria
(later the same day)
Jump on train at London Bridge
Leap off at East Grinstead
Cycle to Three Bridges
Leap on train to Brighton

Top Bottom