FNRttC FNRttC: Whitstable - 17 August 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Having visited the marvellous Waterfront today on a ride. I can report that a super duper new hand drier has been installed in the gents. Replacing the old one that emitted the amount of air akin to a dying mans last breath.
Maybe somebody should start a FNRttC loo-rating guide. None of them stand out as exceptional but the Gatwick Airport "personal suites" were pretty good.

kimble

Veteran
Maybe somebody should start a FNRttC loo-rating guide. None of them stand out as exceptional but the Gatwick Airport "personal suites" were pretty good.

Not strictly a Fridays thing, but those Gatwick ones were what came to mind when I experienced the newly refurbished toilets at the York racecourse this year: Gone are the high-level cisterns, concrete floors, and faint aroma of Jeyes (they never actually had tracing-paper looroll, but it wouldn't have been out of place). In are the trendy hipster rectangular toilet seats, harsh LED lighting, wall-to-wall vandalism-proof mirrors and enough high-performance hand driers to inflate a hot air balloon. There's even enough space in the cubicles for the toilet bowl, a well-stocked bogroll dispenser, the sanitary bin and a non-skinny person standing, with enough left over to close the door.

Friday night's Rally entertainment was watching the looks of confusion and disbelief on the faces of people who'd just arrived and were entering the block for the first time

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

The bottom of the hill leading up to Farthing Downs there's a little group of trees on the left, I've used them twice now, different tree each time, never any soap in the dispenser but good to know they're available 24/7.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The bottom of the hill leading up to Farthing Downs there's a little group of trees on the left, I've used them twice now, different tree each time, never any soap in the dispense but good to know they're available 24/7.
There was a giant stack of logs somewhere in Sussex too. It proved particularly popular with nocturnal male riders. They got quite uninhibited. God Bless the Forestry Commission.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Also not fair on Guildford, which is quite a pleasant little town if you're not forced there for work.
That's not very fair on Shoreham Airport café, which is very nice.
The day TLH decides to ride to either Guildford or Shoreham Airport will be a day of much WHOOOOT!

[MISCHIEF]Nowhere places actually on the Downs Link : Almost everywhere on it. Bramber, Henfield, Partridge Green, West Grinstead, Southwater (where it is currently shut and there's no alternative on offer), Christs Hospital, Rudgwick (Ok the Co-ops alright as in one of the pubs) Slinfold, Baynards, Cranleigh (infested with cyclists on Market Day) Bramley.

Places not acutally on the Downs Link : Shoreham Airport & Guildford. [/MISCHIEF]

Shoreham Airport Café is indeed a thing of beauty of which TLH approves; Guildford not so much unless we go there by train as parking seems nigh on impossible.

StuartG

slower but further
No current FNRttC loo can possibly match Andy's in Rochester. That set a standard none of us will ever forget on the early Whitstable rides. No matter how hard we try ...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No current FNRttC loo can possibly match Andy's in Rochester. That set a standard none of us will ever forget on the early Whitstable rides. No matter how hard we try ...
Handy for putting ones head down for a quick doze in one of downstairs bedrooms.

Tim Hall

The day TLH decides to ride to either Guildford or Shoreham Airport will be a day of much WHOOOOT!

[MISCHIEF]Nowhere places actually on the Downs Link (snip snip) Southwaterwhere it is currently shut and there's no alternative on offer),
I rode it north out of Southwater a couple of weeks back, the day of the England Sweden match, and it wasn't closed. A bit of builder induced jiggery pokery but open.

Cat76

Regular
Considering my second FnRttC (having survived London-Brighton) :O) Still got heavy bike though. How hilly is the Whitstable route...?

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Considering my second FnRttC (having survived London-Brighton) :O) Still got heavy bike though. How hilly is the Whitstable route...?
Not hilly at all. More ‘rolling’....
Seriously, no challenging hills like Brighton. But it does roll a bit in the last few miles before the halfway stop.

Top Bottom