FOOD!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

Here's what I generally eat. Anyone else do something more exciting? Also any christmas dinner ideas??

Breakfast: I've got oats, powdered milk and sugar all mixed up in a container and I just pour some in my mug, add cold water, and shovel it in. It is considerably less faff and less mess than hot porridge and, if I ever felt the need, with the addition of raisins and nuts it is almost muesli. I like this and it sets you up for the day. If I have left the stove out I can make tea and pour in hot water into the oats which is also good.

Lunch: Bread with cheese, dulce de leche, jam or banana. Or with any combination of the above, or with all of it. Bread only lasts a few days before going stale so another option is to carry crackers which last a bit longer or flour. You can use flour to make chapatis (flat bread made from flour, salt and water) or "beer bread" (rises a bit, made with beer and flour). Good to cook these over a fire but its ok on a stove too.

Dinner: Pasta and stock cube. Or, if I fancy a change, rice and stock cube. Cheap and quick to cook. Occasionally, I will buy a few random tins, tuna, sardines, sweetcorn, peas, etc. Also I sometimes have things like olive oil, garlic, fresh ginger, herbs, curry powder, onion, salami, parmazan and the odd carrot. Powdered soups also good as an alternative to stock cubes. In towns I go wild and eat vegetables, red meat, eggs and yoghurt, as these don't travel well.

Snacks: Biscuits, chocolate and mints. I have to hide these from myself in the bottom of the panniers. Fruit and other healthy food doesn´t tend to travel well so I do a good deal of healthy eating outside shops. Apples and oranges are about the best for taking with.

Drinks: Water or black tea. In town, the occasional beer or wine. I'm also brewing some strawberry wine in time for Christmas. Its fizzing all the time now and I have to unscrew the cap to release the pressure every 10km.

andym

Über Member
Hi Hubbike, hope you're doing OK.

I'm not a diet expert, but one comment I'd make is that your diet seems pretty low on protein. Milk and cheese, tuna and sardines and stuff are obviously good sources of protein, but rice or pasta with a stock cube is going to be only about 5g of protein per 100g.

Magna

I take couscous and a tin of kippers (from lidl) for evening meals. Gorgeous stuff and easy to prepare, kippers cook in their own smokey sauce in the tin.

I'm thinking of getting a dehydrator in the new year but haven't came across a great deal of recipes using self dried food which have sealed the deal.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Can you get Quinoa or Bulgar wheat instead of rice or pasta? Quinoa or Quechua (tastes bland - plenty of stock and other flavouring required) gives a full set of amino acids (building blocks of protein) and originates from South America. Bulgar wheat has got a better flavour, but doesn't fit the super-food category quite so well and is more Mediterranean or Middle Eastern.

scots_lass

hubbike said:
Breakfast: I've got oats, powdered milk and sugar all mixed up in a container and I just pour some in my mug, add cold water, and shovel it in. It is considerably less faff and less mess than hot porridge and, if I ever felt the need, with the addition of raisins and nuts it is almost muesli. I like this and it sets you up for the day. If I have left the stove out I can make tea and pour in hot water into the oats which is also good.

Up north we call this brose - oatmeal plus a bit of salt plus hot water!

How about Complan - will give a balanced meal with all the essentials and can be mixed with cold water or milk?

jimboalee

scots_lass said:
Up north we call this brose - oatmeal plus a bit of salt plus hot water!

How about Complan - will give a balanced meal with all the essentials and can be mixed with cold water or milk?

Who else thinks that stuff tastes and looks like second-hand food.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I am Spartacus said:
;)
Anyone else confused by what this guy is actually putting inside "his panniers" as well?
Is he rich, loony and homeless or what?

Might be something to do with this thread.

OP
OP
H

hubbike

andym said:
Hi Hubbike, hope you're doing OK.

I'm not a diet expert, but one comment I'd make is that your diet seems pretty low on protein.

I eat quite a bit of red meat and vegetables when I hit towns (once or twice a week at the moment) so i think that protien is probably alright...

hard boiled eggs, good tip...

BrumJim, thanks for the Quinoa tip, I will keep my eyes peeled in the supermarket...
I am Spartacus said:
:smile:
Is he rich, loony and homeless or what?
2 out of 3 ain`t bad...

Top Bottom