Forget cycling...what other hobbits ...erm...hobbies..do you partake in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Since watching James May's prog about toys from the 60's and 70's, I have a strange compulsion to start collecting Action Man equipment again!

Mrs B says it will go away if I lie down...

:B)

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Been through a few hobbies over the years but one by one they seem to have disappeared...

Climbing - seemed expensive at the time I was a student. I moved North and stopped going as my climbing buddies were back in the Midlands

Badminton - played in a Men's A Team (no B.A, Face or Murdoch though - shame!) and Mixed B Team in a league. Moved to Manchester for University and after going back each weekend for matches I decided that I couldn't afford the petrol/time.

SCUBA diving - up at 4.40am to get stuff ready and pick people up to go and do 2 f*cking freezing dives in a North Wales quarry which had a reputation for numerous deaths... Too much faff and very expensive!! Also first-born arrived so sleep was a luxury at the best of times! :laugh:

Photography (digital) - still do this but seems to be mostly of my kids now, don't get much chance to go out without the family to take photos.

5-a-side footie - still play twice a week and enjoy it, but recovering from tough matches is taking longer now (it's an age thing!) :B)

nilling

Über Member
beanzontoast said:
Since watching James May's prog about toys from the 60's and 70's, I have a strange compulsion to start collecting Action Man equipment again!:laugh:

I bought the Colditz board game a few years back from a church jumble. use to play it as teenagers in the 70's. Never had a problem as to who would play the Germans as one lad always insisted, he went on to join the police :B). Don't remember the rules being that complicated at the time but listening to the arguments James was having with his friend I don't know. Need to persuade my brother to play again.

LLB

Getting back in to Photography which I've always enjoyed. Hope to do some fast moving stuff like the showjumping & m/cycle Trackdays of which I've got 2 booked this year.

Got a couple of horses as well which are show jumped by one of my kids as well as hacking out when the opportunity arises - was out on Sunday from a village in the Cotswolds as there is good quiet circuit starting and finishing at a nice pub ;)

Go (legal) green laning as well in the 4x4 occasionally.

All these things costs money, so all done in moderation as and when..

ChrisKH

Guru
I don't know where people find the time TBH. Pre kids it was rugby and that was pretty much all consuming. Post kids, it's the er...kids. Like willow, even with Mrs. KH we don't have any support so only occasionally get out on our own to pursue first interest (cycling for me, schoolboys for her) and we maybe go out maybe four times a year together and that's it. Finding a good babysitter is half the problem and you can't rely on your friends indefinitely.

nilling said:
I bought the Colditz board game a few years back from a church jumble. use to play it as teenagers in the 70's. Never had a problem as to who would play the Germans as one lad always insisted, he went on to join the police ;). Don't remember the rules being that complicated at the time but listening to the arguments James was having with his friend I don't know. Need to persuade my brother to play again.

I've got one of those too. Bought it hoping Mrs B or son/daughter would give me a game now and then, but not a favourite of theirs by any means.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm a season ticket holder at a certain premier league football club and go to all home and lots of away games. I wouldn't call it a hobby though, more a habit now as it's something I've been doing for 45 years and would probably miss it if I stopped going. This, the cycling, work and family life means there's not a lot of time for the other thing I like to do most.....nothing.

Top Bottom