Forget cycling...what other hobbits ...erm...hobbies..do you partake in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Night Train said:
That's the parallel 'branes theory where a universe pops out of momentary contact between any pair of 'branes isn't it. Not read it but read about it.
It's an oddball way of looking at things as it supposes an existance for the 'branes to be in outside of the universes they create. There maybe something in it but I will need to read up on their theory first hand.

Ah, a classicist. Not a fan of brane cosmology or the ekpyrotic scenario I take it? You more motivated from the general relativity side of things then?

Night Train

Maker of Things
marinyork said:
Ah, a classicist. Not a fan of brane cosmology or the ekpyrotic scenario I take it? You more motivated from the general relativity side of things then?
It's what I grew up with so I am more familiar with it. I find it hard enough imagining the development of the universe(s) from an external viewpoint without having an external viewpoint to an external structure. As an agnostic, I tend to leave that side of things to a higher being, with a bigger brain, to contemplate while I think about gravity and time.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Reading, listening to music, gardening, bike fettling, being nice to our catand I suppose DIY, though that's necessity rather than a hobby.
There are lots of things I used to do, which I don't do any more because of time, mainly. Horse riding, drawing, walking.

Abitrary

Going to the theatre, reading, all sports, and active membership in various groups promoting peace and justice in the world.

LLB

I haven't managed to see the 9F at the GWR yet. Meant to this year, but never got around to it.

There's a nice model engineering society place by B&Q, on Hatherley Lane.

That is the old Dowty one. The thing about engineers is that they are generally drawn to this sort of thing so want to tinker even in their spare time.

The people involved in this group make or made aircraft landing gear, carbon fibre propellers, jet engine fuel systems, cockpit instruments etc.

Dowty is now owned by GE who are winding a lot of it down, but was a major employer in this area for many years.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I chose the two most expensive hobbies out there...Guitars and bikes....the third (Scuba) had to go...to expensive. I am a Padi advanced diver but havent got wet for..oh...probably 6 years at least.

LLB

Arch said:
If you're ever at Toddington, and they've got 35006 P & O on show, give her a pat for me. She's the engine my late partner used to work on, and I remember the first time I saw her, I couldn't believe how massive she was. You forget how much difference it makes, not being on a platform, but being at ground level.

As for hobbies, well, there's the knitting, and I've just bought a Ukulele. And every so often I dabble in model making - OO scale dioramas and the like - but that comes and goes - I have an archeaological dig in a box file to put together on day - I've painted all the figures, just need to assemble it.

Got a pic ?

I had a good look around the sidings to find the engines being worked on. Even the Diesels I find fascinating when you see one of the pistons bench the size of a large paint pot which has been lifted out of a 90 litre shunting engine.

I think as you say it is the scale of it all which boggles the mind.

Chris James

Über Member
LLB said:
That is the old Dowty one. The thing about engineers is that they are generally drawn to this sort of thing so want to tinker even in their spare time.

The people involved in this group make or made aircraft landing gear, carbon fibre propellers, jet engine fuel systems, cockpit instruments etc.

Dowty is now owned by GE who are winding a lot of it down, but was a major employer in this area for many years.

The landing gear site at Gloucester is called Messier-Dowty and is part of the Safran group.

Dowty Props is owned by GE.

Top Bottom