Forum ride - Hebden Bridge to Waddington, Sun 29th January

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, I'll be checking this thread last thing Saturday evening and at about 07:30 on Sunday morning so if anybody wants to drop out, post below to let me know.

It will be really cold standing around in the car park so let's have a simple rule - we'll set off bang on 09:00! We normally wait for stragglers, but I don't think that is fair to expect that on a freezing winter morning.

I'll time my arrival for about 08:50 - 08:55.

If you are late arriving, you will need to chase after us. You would have 14.5 miles to catch us before the turn off for the Padiham Greenway which you could easily miss. We will not be riding that quickly so you should be able to catch us.

For any chasing latecomers, navigation would be child's play - from the end of the car park, turn left and follow the road back over the bridge into the town centre, turn right down the pedestrianised area by The Shoulder of Mutton and proceed to the lights on the A646. Turn right and follow the A646 to Todmorden, go right at the roundabout and continue to follow the A646 to Burnley, across the 'scissor' junction with the A671 (still on the A646), climb the hill and then descend through the lights on Manchester Road, down Rossendale Road to the next set of lights at Rose Grove. The turn for the Greenway is straight through the lights, and take a left 100 yards on (immediately after crossing the M65), just before the houses. If you haven't caught us by then, you'll need a map or a GPS if you don't know our route!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Colin. I'm definitely up for it, cold or not. A bit of ice doesn't worry me; in fact it will benefit me if I take the towpath from Clayton to Rosegrove because the mud on that section will be frozen.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I have just been over the moors between harrogate and skipton and there is some ice and some snow on the ground and it is very cold I am glad I took the hybrid the back wheel was slipping here and there. But otherwise it is ok.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes, it is certainly very nice today, though chilly out of the sun. I don't think we will get much direct sun tomorrow so it will be feeling very nippy, especially on the ride back from Padiham.

I'm taking us to ICECON #3, especially on the Padiham Greenway, Old Roman Road, and the lane between Cow Ark and Waddington!

potsy

Rambler
I think purely for safety's sake, we should all walk up the Roman road :whistle:
About to clean the bike, so if it gets called off I shall be very upset, don't want to clean it for nothing :tongue:

aJohnson

Unfortunately I wont be there tomorrow, I've had some bad experience with ice that have put me off it and I'm probably still a bit too unfit. Though I am up for whenever the next forum ride will be. Hope those of you who are there tomorrow have a good and safe ride.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I think purely for safety's sake, we should all walk up the Roman road :whistle:
About to clean the bike, so if it gets called off I shall be very upset, don't want to clean it for nothing :tongue:
I'm more worried about cycling down it! It's steep and shaded so I wouldn't be surprised if we find ice anywhere, that it is there ...

Globalti

Legendary Member
All the minor roads were gritted today, LCC gritters have been busy all day.

We are about to leave for Cheshire, will make a final decision later tonight or first thing in the morning. Liable to be tricky descending on fixed if icy. We will have to leave Cheshire around 7.30 to make it. I have your mobile Colin so will keep you informed, have access to a computer later though.

Right I'm bailing out. I keep checking the weather report and the cold doesnt bother me but ice and snow and gritters do. I am on my nice road bike and I am worried about slipping all over the place. So for those of you that do go - have a great time.

Gutted..gutted..gutted...gutted...gutted.....gutted!

potsy

Rambler
Rider list
  • ColinJ
  • potsy
  • oldfatfool
  • aJohnson
  • I like Skol
  • dan_bo
  • Pennine-Paul
  • totallyfixed + Helen
  • kiwi-Sal
  • Edge705 (from start, as far as Longridge Fell)
  • Globalti (riding towards us from Burnley, assuming permission from SWMBO)
  • aJay (at Spring Wood picnic centre, Whalley)
Possibles
  • Svendo (?)

I am on my nice road bike and I am worried about slipping all over the place. So for those of you that do go - have a great time.

Never thought, I could have used this weather as a good excuse to buy that new Hardtail I keep looking at:whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

All the minor roads were gritted today, LCC gritters have been busy all day.
I'm fairly confident that most of the roads should be okay, except for the narrow lane from Cow Ark through Kitchens, and maybe the Old Roman Road, though that is much wider than the Kitchens lane so it ought to be gritted!

I know you want to check out the Greenway, but if it turns out to have ice on it, I'll probably suggest sticking to the road through Padiham. (If so, you could still take a chance on the Greenway and meet us at the end of Station Road in Padiham.)
We are about to leave for Cheshire, will make a final decision later tonight or first thing in the morning. Liable to be tricky descending on fixed if icy. We will have to leave Cheshire around 7.30 to make it. I have your mobile Colin so will keep you informed, have access to a computer later though.
I hope you can both make it if you can put up with the cold and the slow pace on the way out. If that means a split into slow and fast groups for the run back, so be it!
Right I'm bailing out. I keep checking the weather report and the cold doesnt bother me but ice and snow and gritters do. I am on my nice road bike and I am worried about slipping all over the place. So for those of you that do go - have a great time.

I would try and persuade you k-S, but how would I feel if you changed your mind, came along and then fell off! :whistle:

If you are free on Saturday, 18th February, why not join us for the Mini-North-West-Passage from Rochdale instead?

Top Bottom