Forum ride - Hebden Bridge to Waddington, Sun 29th January

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Been up on the top of the Pennines today - it was icy with snow/black ice but the main roads were all clear. Cleared up by about 11am.

Be careful out there and enjoy it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Think I'll meet u at the Todmorden roundabout,
as I'm cycling up from Shaw seems daft to ride to H/B and then
ride back again,You should be there about 9.20ish I guess
See you all in the morning :thumbsup:
That makes sense and, yes, it should be 09:20-ish unless someone has a puncture/other mechanical problem on the way. If you are there on time and we don't turn up within a few minutes, why not ride towards us to keep warm? We shouldn't be far away, but if there has been a delay, you won't want to be standing around for an extra 20 minutes!

I don't have a phone number for you, so if we are delayed, one or more of us will ride on to Tod to let you know what is going on. We are meeting people further up the road so we don't want to be introducing extra delays in HB or Tod so if you get to Tod much after 09:20, assume that we are ahead of you and set off in pursuit of us!

Been up on the top of the Pennines today - it was icy with snow/black ice but the main roads were all clear. Cleared up by about 11am.

Be careful out there and enjoy it.
I walked up to Heptonstall and there was snow lying in shadowy verges. All the roads were clear though.

We will be on the A646 until at least 10:15 and it would be a disgrace if that hadn't been properly gritted, given the amount of notice that the councils have had of this cold snap.

See you in Rochdale in 3 weeks time for the mini-North-West-Passage! :hello:

400bhp

Guru
We will be on the A646 until at least 10:15 and it would be a disgrace if that hadn't been properly gritted, given the amount of

Well, I ventured out at 8am along the A56 through Altrincham, then towards Lymm. I had to go back home because it was clear it hadn't been gritted. :sad:

I think I will try again tomorrow and , given it hasn't rained today, the roads should be better. Just have your wits about you. :thumbsup:

Ajay

Veteran
I'll be taking a longer, hopefully ice-free route in the morning so don't wait for me at Spring Wood if I'm not there, I'll see you somewhere between Whalley and Waddie. Ciao

potsy

Rambler
Well, I ventured out at 8am along the A56 through Altrincham, then towards Lymm. I had to go back home because it was clear it hadn't been gritted. :sad:

I think I will try again tomorrow and , given it hasn't rained today, the roads should be better. Just have your wits about you. :thumbsup:
I've just been pelted with grit coming thru Timperley :B)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I intend being in Hebden Bridge in time to get a bacon sarnie from that cafe on the front by the bank but if I have any issues on the way there I knew I could just wait in Todmorden for you lot to arrive. See you at 9am in the morning.

Current temp here in Holmes Chapel is 0.3C so final decision will now be made early in the morning. If we decide to come and are running a bit late [we have a 58 mile drive] we will park up in Todmorden as that is the way we will be driving from the M62. I am assuming your mobile is still the same? Would be sorry to miss the ride but discretion and valour come to mind plus it is up to the boss. Will check for messages about 10pm.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Late addition to the ride, now able to get out and get bl**dy cold with you lot.
I'll be taking a longer, hopefully ice-free route in the morning so don't wait for me at Spring Wood if I'm not there, I'll see you somewhere between Whalley and Waddie. Ciao
I intend being in Hebden Bridge in time to get a bacon sarnie from that cafe on the front by the bank but if I have any issues on the way there I knew I could just wait in Todmorden for you lot to arrive. See you at 9am in the morning.
:thumbsup:

Current temp here in Holmes Chapel is 0.3C so final decision will now be made early in the morning. If we decide to come and are running a bit late [we have a 58 mile drive] we will park up in Todmorden as that is the way we will be driving from the M62. I am assuming your mobile is still the same? Would be sorry to miss the ride but discretion and valour come to mind plus it is up to the boss. Will check for messages about 10pm.
Okay, Steve - if you are coming, see you & Helen at the roundabout in Tod. with Pennine-Paul at approximately 09:20. Yes, my phone number is the same as before. I'll check this thread and my phone for new messages at 08:30 am before coming out to meet everyone.

Rider list
  • ColinJ
  • potsy
  • oldfatfool
  • I like Skol
  • dan_bo
  • Pennine-Paul
  • Edge705 (from start, as far as Longridge Fell)
  • Globalti (riding towards us from Burnley, assuming permission from SWMBO)
  • aJay (at Spring Wood picnic centre, Whalley, or elsewhere!)
  • tubbycyclist
Possibles
  • Svendo (?)
  • totallyfixed + Helen (if they come over from Cheshire?)

Providing there isn't sheet ice outside the door at 7.45am:ohmy: then I will see you around 8.45.

Just thought it will be my first time on the road 'clipless' as well:eek: so everytime we come to a halt if I could have someone either side.................:laugh:

Svendo

Guru
Hi guys, I'm planning to do the Evans Ride It route tomorrow. Want a quick ride in the temperatures likely tomorrow. Haven't decided whether I'll actually enter or just follow the route at the same time. Other than being timed by them, some bar and gel freebies not sure what the entrance fee would gain me. The route is marked, but the GPX is online anyway (and I know all the roads on the route anyway). If I do change my mind in the morning I also know the roads of your planned route so will just catch you up.

I went out this afternoon and the main roads were all clear, some slush in the gutters so beware of ice where melt water may have frozen and in shady bits but should be OK.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Providing there isn't sheet ice outside the door at 7.45am:ohmy: then I will see you around 8.45.

Just thought it will be my first time on the road 'clipless' as well:eek: so everytime we come to a halt if I could have someone either side.................:laugh:
I can't keep up!

You try and remember that you are clipped in, and we will try to remember to shout out ...

"Stopping - UNCLIP!!!!" :thumbsup:

Top Bottom