Forum rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I completely blew up on the first Pedal for Cake ride heading into Edinburgh. I'd bitten off more than i could chew having averaged nice speeds on a short commute, and then trying to stick with a pace that I wasn't comfortable with (if you think it's too fast, say so and they should slow down a bit!). We eventually split up so that the group that were heading back to Glasgow could get to Tele and HJs in time to turn round, but I cannot tell you how patient and supportive Scoosh and Seamab were as they hung back and slowly coaxed me to the half way stop :thumbsup:

No one gets left behind really does mean that on forum rides in my experience.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The funniest thing I had happen, on a little group ride when I was struggling up a hill, was Spandex putting his hand on the small of my back and pushing me, faster then I ride down hill, all the way up to the top!^_^:bravo:
IIRC he even told me to stop pedaling.:eek:
:thumbsup:
I had someone do that for me climbing the Col de Rates on the Costa Blanca, only he had his hand at the back of my saddle so I didn't know that he was doing it - I thought I'd suddenly got fit! :whistle:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm not bothered in principle about an all guys ride, with me being the only woman, nor about me being the slowest, if I know my own way, that is.
Apart from the fear of getting lost, I don't mind being left behind.
But then what would be the point of going on a CChat ecosse ride for me?
I might as well go explore on my own, take my time, meet other CChatters on a night out or similar.
Also, I work most weekends.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
I've now organised several rides for works collegues. The only really troublesome part keeping the rides together is the hills. However we all tend to regroup for a breather and a chat at the top. First one up has to go to the back and stay with the last person until the top of the next hill.

D

Deleted member 1258

Club rides are easier to organise because after initially joining everyone knows exactly what to expect, not so on a forum ride, and if you live where you see club riders out and about that can give a false impression of what you might expect to see on a forum ride. I can well understand that riding with strangers [and it doesn't matter how much you have chatted with them on here] is going to be of concern if you haven't done it before, 99% of first timers will have some degree of nervousness.
I often make the route up as I go along tailoring it to suit those less strong, We are all different, some can climb, most can't but that is usually because they come from a flat area. Several people who have been on my rides in the past have come back again much stronger, so I also see forum rides as a place to improve and learn a bit. I suppose the only criteria I have is that you can average 10 mph on your own over 25 + miles, any slower and we just wouldn't make it to the tea stop and back.
Speaking of which the next Rutland forum ride is either 17th or 18th of November [waiting for a couple of oracles to tell me which] and will also be the flattest one so far. It should be up in informal rides sometime this week.

I was nervous about my first forum ride, I wasn't sure why, I'd been club riding for most of the last 25 years and knew the distance wasn't going to be a problem. In the end I worked out that it was because the ride was a big unknown, on the club rides its generally three groups and I know the groups and what pace was involved, the training ride is generally too fast, if I'm going well I might hang on for a couple of miles buts thats about it, with the veterans I did that ride for years but these days I need to push to stay with them and eventually I start going of the back on the hills, the family ride tends to go shorter and slower than I want to go. I turned up and did my first Forum ride, enjoyed it and then found that with the other two I looked forward to doing them and just enjoyed them.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
It's hard organising a ride but give it go and see. I did London to Guildford. And only one turned up so off we went.

On the SMRbtH I'm the slowest but credit to @ianrauk who always waits for me. I dnt know if I'm just keeping up or they stepping off the gas.

Must be me
I did join you for a bit! :smile:

They're easing off- they do it for me too. You're doing them a favour ;)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
@Jodee1kenobi

The problem wasn't the speeds rather then we were organising rides that people thought they were being excluded from.
+1.

On my own, I don't pootle. My speeds may be some people's pootling, but not mine. I like to move at the kind of pace where I'm working hard, but sustainably so- which is generally something in the region of 12-16 mph (overall, not rolling). So the rides for food were/are (I hope we're not done with those!) perfect training for me before the LeJOG travesty, and they proved a real benefit to my fitness levels (I remember Abs and Frank told me I was looking stronger last autumn, and I think they were right). There was the intention of getting to the halfway stop at a reasonable time for lunch, and of getting back to the smoke for early evening, and the advice on speeds was given with that in mind. Slower Less fast people- and I was one of them at times- were welcome, but the idea was to help them progress with their riding- in other words, 'I didn't know I could ride that far/fast, until I did'. Certainly worked for me, hope it did for others. People didn't get left behind, even when they had dropped off the pace a bit (and yup, that was me too). They were still fun rides too of course!

That said, the more pootly rides suit me too. As TMN rightly mentions, an organiser should do a ride that they want to do, and at a pace that they want to do. And as to getting left behind, been there, done that, certainly wouldn't do that to others.... if in doubt, treat people as you would wish to be treated, and remember that everyone on the ride is responsible for everyone else. Slower Less fast riders are not a burden and should never be made to feel (or told) that they are. When I was doing mile after mile on my own trying to chase a dot on the horizon in Scotland last year, I knew I wasn't a burden, and I knew there was no reason for me to be dropped, except selfishness and poor organisation. If the ride leader sets the wrong schedule, or didn't make their intentions on pacing clear (or changes them)...that's their problem, not the riders. Trains run late. Roads close. It rains. It gets blowy. People have days where they're more than capable of riding, but aren't at their best. None of those factors are immovable objects that stop people having a good time, but leaders need to allow for them. Everyone I've ridden with off here, YACF and BikeRadar's done that!

Might well have a go myself some time....

Good post Stu, another point I would like to make is that once a ride gets established you can look up what they were like, photos, comments etc. I think getting the first one off the ground is the hardest both for the organiser and participants.

400bhp

Guru
I'd be happy organising some open rides. Perhaps I'm at the other end of the spectrum where, because of my fitness levels, time pressures of having a family, I don't particularly enjoy riding at a slow pace (slow, for me, would be less than 14mph rolling average on the road) and don't particularly relish spending the entire day on the bike..

It's just the way I am. :shrug:

I think it's very very important to set a level of expectation on a ride, i.e. make it clear what the average speed is likely to be, whether people should wait, frowned upon if disappear into the distance etc.

ashworthacca

Über Member
After many years of being slightly overweight and unfit I have returned to cycling to do something about it. I'd love to come along to a forum ride but like others have said I'd feel concious about holding up the group. I'll be keeping an eye out though.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I'd be happy organising some open rides. Perhaps I'm at the other end of the spectrum where, because of my fitness levels, time pressures of having a family, I don't particularly enjoy riding at a slow pace (slow, for me, would be less than 14mph rolling average on the road) and don't particularly relish spending the entire day on the bike..

It's just the way I am. :shrug:

I think it's very very important to set a level of expectation on a ride, i.e. make it clear what the average speed is likely to be, whether people should wait, frowned upon if disappear into the distance etc.

Unfortunately not everyone who turns up is actually quite as capable of maintaining a given "average speed" (even when posted clearly in advance) as they think they are.
One rider** on the one and only forum ride I organised, was ok-ish at the back of the pack for the first 30 miles, but started to die rapidly thereafter, which meant that the tea-shop planned for the afternoon break was long closed by the time we got there.

I've not organised another, not because of this, but simply because what time I have for rides has been devoted to AUDAX SR and RRTY that I can ride at precisely my own pace - ( a bit slower than 400bhp)

**He knows who is, and would be the first to admit it - and he's still a mate, despite my insulting him at every opportunity on this and other forums

defy-one

not waiting is just plain rude. a fast rider can always go off on a speed run after the ride over or poiltely say he will do this section and meet the others at point x.
why do a group ride if all your going to do is speed off :crazy

i can ride at 15 mph average for 30 miles, not sure after that .... tba

Top Bottom