Found a Bargain? Do Tell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I could do with a set of decent tires & a pair of latex tubes in the sale ....

busdennis

Veteran
Very disappointed with the lack of boxing days, was expecting my in box swamped with emails like the "month of black Friday", but alas nothing. Was hoping for a bargain on a set of deep section wheels

8mph

Veteran
It seemed silly to spend hours and hours looking at bikes and then not buy anything, so on Christmas day, I bought myself this bike on an eBay auction for £99 and I'm picking it up tomorrow.
sram.PNG

Frame: 1981 - 23 1/2 inch Carlton lightweight steel (Reynolds 531)

Groupset: mainly SRAM Apex, 20 speed

Wheels: Shimano RS20

Specialized Body Geometry Saddle

I'm looking at 41cm Sakae Road Champion bars and Suntour Power Shift downtube levers for this bike which will bring the total to £152

The bike has Weinmann brakes, which I like.

Fingers crossed this is a no issues bike.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
It seemed silly to spend hours and hours looking at bikes and then not buy anything, so on Christmas day, I bought myself this bike on an eBay auction for £99 and I'm picking it up tomorrow.
View attachment 444113

Frame: 1981 - 23 1/2 inch Carlton lightweight steel (Reynolds 531)

Groupset: mainly SRAM Apex, 20 speed

Wheels: Shimano RS20

Specialized Body Geometry Saddle

I'm looking at 41cm Sakae Road Champion bars and Suntour Power Shift downtube levers for this bike which will bring the total to £152

The bike has Weinmann brakes, which I like.

Fingers crossed this is a no issues bike.
May I ask, why downtube shifters? Looking at the picture you’ll have to drill and tap the frame. Very nice bike though :okay:

8mph

Veteran
May I ask, why downtube shifters? Looking at the picture you’ll have to drill and tap the frame. Very nice bike though :okay:
I'm undecided about what kind of shifters to go with but I want drop bars. Sram shifters cost a small firtune but I can get some very fine clamp-on down tube shifters for £20. I don't know how I would get on with drop bars and thumb shifters, it's not something that I have tried.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I'm undecided about what kind of shifters to go with but I want drop bars. Sram shifters cost a small firtune but I can get some very fine clamp-on down tube shifters for £20. I don't know how I would get on with drop bars and thumb shifters, it's not something that I have tried.
Drop bars will look great on the bike. I had thumb shifters either side of the stem on my road bike and got rid of them quickly as I felt they made the bike unstable when changing gear while riding, particularly at speed. Brifters can be expensive but you never know what you can find second hand - sometimes it’s cheaper to buy a second hand bike with the brifters you want plus you also get a few other spares too!

Last edited:

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Cheap inner tubes
I know it’s possibly a curse to mention the fairies, but if you are visited by them on too frequent a basis, you might be interested in https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TUIMPC28UB/impac-sv28-700c-inner-tube-unboxed. £1.49 for inner tubes made by Schwalbe and for those of us who use wider tyres, these fit 28-47mm tyres.

Cheap inner tubes
I know it’s possibly a curse to mention the fairies, but if you are visited by them on too frequent a basis, you might be interested in https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TUIMPC28UB/impac-sv28-700c-inner-tube-unboxed. £1.49 for inner tubes made by Schwalbe and for those of us who use wider tyres, these fit 28-47mm tyres.
28 to 47 seems a bit of a spread - any issues getting them to fit on tyres at the narrower end of that?
Planet X a good general source of tubes - never had any issues with their Vavert things - not light but worries me not.

8mph

Veteran
Brifters can be expensive but you never know what you can find second hand - sometimes it’s cheaper to buy a second hand bike with the brifters you want plus you also get a few other spares too!

I'm enquiring about some Sram bar end shifters that I've found online for £20 - Agreed, a second-hand bike with brifters would be even better.
Have the bike and it's in superb condition, the parts are nearly new, no play, no rust and it's lovely and light.^_^

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
28 to 47 seems a bit of a spread - any issues getting them to fit on tyres at the narrower end of that?
Planet X a good general source of tubes - never had any issues with their Vavert things - not light but worries me not.
I’ll let you know when they arrive. Can’t be any worse than the 35-47mm tubes I’ve just removed from my Croix de Fer.

Last edited:
"minor", " major", I don't care. They work for me. Most PX stuff is minor to me. Yes vavert isn't unique to PX (that would be a definition of "minor" to me) for I have seen them in other places, including Go Outdoors, though at a significantly higher price.

Top Bottom