Frame painting questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
I'm painting my cervelo r5 frame as the previous owner had it repaired (properly) then decided to just spray it full black with black cervelo decals, I didn't like it so removed the paint and got a can of Matt gray I thought matched the images online however I think it's came out a fair bit lighter, so you think it looks okay or does it just look like horrid primer? I'm getting the correct 2014 decals made up.

Also should I clear cost the paint now and then again when the decals are on or should I apply the decals direct to the paint then clearcoat.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

screenman

Legendary Member
Was it cold when you painted it, or slightly damp? If that is black it looks like it has bloomed from here.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
It's a touch lighter than the pictures, but I don't think it looks bad at all. :okay:
Did you do that with a rattle can?

Prob just looks bare because of the lack of decals.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Yes used a can dont see why i needed to pay a company loads to do it when i used to spray weapons, never used clearcoat before though so unsure what to do with that, i guess i could go to halfords and pick up some darker car paint but id rather not spend the cash if others think it will look alright

arch684

Veteran
It will look better with the decals fitted and rebuilt.Give it a clean with some white spirit and dry of, fit the decals then apply the clear coat

Citius

It will look better with the decals fitted and rebuilt.Give it a clean with some white spirit and dry of, fit the decals then apply the clear coat

Seriously - don't clean a freshly-painted matt finish with white spirit. Assuming you prepped the surface properly in the first place, just apply the decals and the clear coat.

arch684

Veteran
How long since you painted it ? You do know the paint needs time to harden

arch684

Veteran
Seriously - don't clean a freshly-painted matt finish with white spirit. Assuming you prepped the surface properly in the first place, just apply the decals and the clear coat.
I expected the op knew to let it harden

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Its had 4 coats already and it touch dry but its going to be left to dry over 24hrs i just put the fork in and wheels on to get a better view, i know its mymchoice but id like a few more opinions as i cant decide

arch684

Veteran
Its had 4 coats already and it touch dry but its going to be left to dry over 24hrs i just put the fork in and wheels on to get a better view, i know its mymchoice but id like a few more opinions as i cant decide
24 hours is not long enough,it should be allowed to harden for about a week

HOU5EY

Looks good, add the decals and I think it will be sweet. It's the same as when you paint anything, you're the only one that will notice most of the imperfections

Top Bottom