Frame refurbishment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaunio

Hi

Have a new frame that I got cheap from eBay and looking to refurbishment it, starting with a paint strip. Any advice on the best way to do this on an aluminium frame. Pics and photo examples are very welcome.

Cheers mi dears.

SHAUN

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Professional powder coat for under £50 Might be cheaper than rattle cans and paint stripper and sanding

Drago

Legendary Member
Soft media blast the frame, have it painted.

Be caution with powered coating alloy frames as the baking process might adversely affect any heat treatment the frame may have had at manufacturer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shaunio

Shaunio

I have had chemical stripping recommended to me too as an alternative to media blasting... any experience with that?

Sheldon brown has a good page on this. Can't link easily from phone. Google it is my advice. IIRC, Blasting not advised with ALU frames as the material beds into the frame and ruins the finish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shaunio

Shaunio

Sheldon brown has a good page on this. Can't link easily from phone. Google it is my advice. IIRC, Blasting not advised with ALU frames as the material beds into the frame and ruins the finish.

Thanks for the site recomendation ConfusedCyclist.

Quick update: While on my way to a soft media blaster in reditch who convinced me they knew what they were doing, I popped into a cycle shop to get the bottom bracket bearings removed and faced off as I don't have the right tools to do it myself. The shop owner told me terrifying things about his steel media blast job, so I changed my plans and drove - frame in boot - to a Zed-Parts, a parts renovations shop. We had a nice chat and the owners wife took the frame off me and placed it in one of her vats of stripping chemicals. Told to come back later. Looking forward to seeing the results. Yay! :biggrin: *rubs hands*
quick-pic.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shaunio

Shaunio

Below are pics of the stripped frame that Zed Parts did for me. It all happened really quickly they told me.

The owner originally thought it would be an overnight soak because it was a polymer coat, but he said when he went to check it after a short while the paint coat just fell off the frame. He thinks it is because normally the paint is etched into the aluminium to make it tough but this wasn't.

Great cost too. cheapper than buying paint remover, PVC gloves, wire brushes, etc. Can't wat to give this a good clean up and transfer the parts from my old smashed up On-One frame.

Got the frame mocked with some bits could immediately salvage from the on-one wreck. just need a zerostack FSA headset, and some hollowtech tools to get it all finished.

Gonna ride it with the raw aluminium and a spot of clear coat to seal the surface. Couple of decals and it'll be great fun.

LRM_20170704_165622.jpg

LRM_20170704_165630.jpg

LRM_20170706_205138.jpg

LRM_20170706_205220.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Very nice !
I am considering having my old boardman repainted as the white is a muck magnet on the commute , not sure how to go about it as it has a carbon fork.

ChrisEyles

Guru
It would look good, but I am not sure the laquer would stick well to a polished surface.

True... though I have seen some gorgeous MTBs that have been polished then lacquered on retrobike. If I could be bothered I'd do the same to my 90s Marin Mount Vision look-alike, but it's a bit of a faff.

Top Bottom