Frame refurbishment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Shaunio

Shaunio

It would look good, but I am not sure the laquer would stick well to a polished surface.

True... though I have seen some gorgeous MTBs that have been polished then lacquered on retrobike. If I could be bothered I'd do the same to my 90s Marin Mount Vision look-alike, but it's a bit of a faff.

Maybe marine epoxy paint would, but that requires judicious use of a mask, or preferably a respirator.

Interesting thoughts. I hear that you can get aluminium anodied in a clear coat to maintain a seal between the environment and metal. My gear stick in my car is treated in this way. Might be a step too far for a cheap old bike frame like mine though.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Interesting thoughts. I hear that you can get aluminium anodied in a clear coat to maintain a seal between the environment and metal. My gear stick in my car is treated in this way. Might be a step too far for a cheap old bike frame like mine though.

Do it. A bright dip clear ano job will make that look superb. :becool:

si_c

Guru
Very nice !
I am considering having my old boardman repainted as the white is a muck magnet on the commute , not sure how to go about it as it has a carbon fork.

Might be worth a chat with a local frame painter. I had a chat at C&G finishes in Liverpool when I had my Peugeot repainted and from memory they said they painted carbon as well as metal frames. They certainly had a lot of frames on the wall.

OP
OP
Shaunio

Shaunio

Quick update. I scratch finished the alu frame with wire wool and 2K clear coated (cheaper & faster for me than anodising) it with some starter decals still have to put a few more layers of clearcoat on it to seal the decals properly but it's slowly coming along. Therre were a few deep scratches/dents so to save the structural integrety of the tube I just decided to leave them in and call them war wounds. Got most of my parts, just waiting for a No. 10 FSA headset and more 2K clear coat. Pics below.

frame-5.jpg

frame-4.jpg

frame-1.jpg

frame-2.jpg

Top Bottom