Free wheel issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Strange one this

The free wheel on my PX cx this morning intermittently stopped freewheeling and as a result totally slackened the chain when ever I stopped peddling , resulting in me not being able to free wheel at all incase the chain hit the spokes

What would cause such a think ?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Nothing much constructive to say, other than it sounds like the freehub body or something to me, but im not very adapt with these sort of things.

You are not having much luck with this thing are you? Are the wheels PX in house brand? I'd be knocking on their door with all the trouble you have had.

I've been less than impressed with PX myself, they lost my business by not seeming to know which bike size I needed with any real confidence (I was in their showroom talking to them, and had my road bike with me!). They did offer some advice, but it lacked conviction, not the sort of thing that fills you with confidence when going to spend upwards of £1k. Quite hard to describe the situation to convey the feeling it invoked as may have just been me not being filled with confidence by them.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Nothing much constructive to say, other than it sounds like the freehub body or something to me, but im not very adapt with these sort of things.

You are not having much luck with this thing are you? Are the wheels PX in house brand? I'd be knocking on their door with all the trouble you have had. I've been less than impressed with PX myself, they lost my business by not seeming to know which bike size I needed with any real confidence (I was in their showroom talking to them, and had my road bike with me!). They did offer some advice, but it lacked conviction, not the sort of thing that fills you with confident. Quite hard to describe the situation to convey the feeling it invoked as may have just been me not being filled with confidence by them.

I have to admit I'm pissed with the bike and the attitude of PX

However I'm loving the bike

Argh

It's the pawls - see here.

It sounds as though something is stopping the pawls from dropping down so you really need to take the freehub off and have a look.

Zoiders

If it's not a Campag or Hope pattern freehub body you would need to fabricate a tool to get at the internals of a Shimano pattern freehub body as not may companies make one so just taking it off might not actaully let you see the problem.

Best hope with sticky pawls is soaking it in lube over night and hoping it gets in.

The other answer could be that you are experiencing chain suck for some reason.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have to admit I'm pissed with the bike and the attitude of PX

However I'm loving the bike

Argh

Dont suffer in silence, tell them, to their faces that you are unhappy and want them to remedy the problem. The showroom is only 6 mile from sheffield rail station, took me about 20 mins to get there including getting lost and nearly ending up on the motorway.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Dont suffer in silence, tell them, to their faces that you are unhappy and want them to remedy the problem. The showroom is only 6 mile from sheffield rail station, took me about 20 mins to get there including getting lost and nearly ending up on the motorway.

I have so far dealt with the following myself:

Replacing BB

Getting the BB shell re threaded by a lbs

Replacing worn brake pads

Indexing the gears as they were totally screwed

----------

Now this, I do feel it's time to hit back tbh

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have so far dealt with the following myself:

Replacing BB

Getting the BB shell re threaded by a lbs

Replacing worn brake pads

Indexing the gears as they were totally screwed

----------

Now this, I do feel it's time to hit back tbh

Do it, go to them and explain your discontent, by all means if you cant get there in person, phone them or email, but its harder for them to fob you off if you are stood there. I'd have demanded a refund or a replacement frame and BB as soon as the BB issue was discovered.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Do it, go to them and explain your discontent, by all means if you cant get there in person, phone them or email, but its harder for them to fob you off if you are stood there. I'd have demanded a refund or a replacement frame and BB as soon as the BB issue was discovered.

In fairness they provided a new BB and offered to refund the lbs's charge , but it's just one thing after another now !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it's shimano then replacing/re-lubing the freehub is easy - you just need a 10mm hex/allen key.

If it's cup/cone, remove the axel and bearings and run some standard oil into the freehub (from the drive side).

If it's cartridge, then try and run some oil in where the hub flange meets the freehub body.

TBH - Contact PX as this shouldn't fail so soon.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You should be my rep :smile:

I'm awfully British when it comes to complaining :smile:

I tend not to complain about small things (i.e. no cheese on my burger when I asked for cheese etc) as I often feel embarassed, but when its this sort of money and things are going wrong from the off, especially with the most critical part of a bike, i.e. the frame then I'd be raging. Once I rage, any thoughts about embarassment go out of the window!

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I tend not to complain about small things (i.e. no cheese on my burger when I asked for cheese etc) as I often feel embarassed, but when its this sort of money and things are going wrong from the off, especially with the most critical part of a bike, i.e. the frame then I'd be raging. Once I rage, any thoughts about embarassment go out of the window!

I'm getting close to rage myself tbh

The bike is great fun but the issues and PX are tainting the enjoyment

I'll fire off an email later and see what happens- failing that I'll pop down in person

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Sheffield is nice, worth a day out whilst seeing PX. Bungalows and Bears is a good pub to get a nice meal (only 5 mins from the station), been there a few times to meet up with people/attend certain events in Sheffield. Also a few nice museums/galleries etc.

Top Bottom