FNRttC Friday Night Ride to Cambridge - 14th October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
@User - hope you found breakfast somewhere. Ours turned up 10:05!
1476522501380605232542.jpg

Tim Hall

Not full sized butternut squashes with some orange coloured sauce in a big saucepan then? Served with giant sausages. Heston blooming Bloonenthal has a lot to answer for.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
A mini morsel-size of baked beans. I've no idea if that's what the Grain and Hop Store normally serve, or if that was a micro-saucepan used so that they could heat up a number of them together on their grill.

Basically, despite previously confirming 35 hungry cyclists would be arriving, it seems their chef didn't turn up early, meaning they had to take time after they opened to get their grill up to heat. Obviously it was like a steam engine boiler. It was lucky most people had decided to get a train when we passed the station or it would have been more likely to be 10pm rather than 10am to get food!

Apart from that, the night generally went well. A couple of people had to abandon shortly after HPC, due to tyre & knee issues but there weren't any punctures or major mechanicals. At times there was a very fine mist/drizzle in the air, but it wasn't enough to even coat my glasses, so that was nice. Being a smaller group of 33, progress was naturally faster meaning a bit of an enforced break at Stansted. However the McDonald's seemed to have a full team on duty so the processed food turned up quickly.

Heading off again shortly before 6, it hadn't really got any colder thanks to the cloud cover, so the only issue was dodging the potholes. Lots of shouting "hole" running down the peloton. There was very little waymarked needed as so much of the route stays on one Road, and generally we were all riding in a bunch.

Dawn slowly emerged as we started to see the signs for Cambridge and then soon we were rolling past all the building work going on at the hospital to then go along the Busway to the station.

Thanks to everyone for coming along, and sorry it wasn't quite the finale it should have been.

The rides list for 2017 is already being mulled over to see what can be arranged, and I'm hoping to resurrect York to Hull as well as working on another brand new destination. Details will be announced in the New Year.

kimble

Veteran
The rides list for 2017 is already being mulled over to see what can be arranged, and I'm hoping to resurrect York to Hull as well as working on another brand new destination. Details will be announced in the New Year.

Good to hear, York-Hull is one of my favourites.

Shame I had to miss this one.

SandySnake

Thanks Adam and everybody else last night - a lovely slow meander to Cambridge. Sounds like I took the right choice to push on and start my journey home rather than wait for breakfast. Think I got most people in this series of photos as we began to approach the outskirts of Cambridge shortly after sunrise
WP_20161015_07_43_18_Pro.jpg
WP_20161015_07_43_20_Pro.jpg
WP_20161015_07_43_22_Pro.jpg
WP_20161015_07_43_25_Pro.jpg
WP_20161015_07_43_28_Pro.jpg
WP_20161015_07_43_30_Pro.jpg

Top Bottom