FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Brighton 3rd August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
1967476 said:
If you are being dropped by Long Martin downhill you really need to keep your hands away from the brakes.
It's a matter of practice and confidence - in tyres, brakes and the miracles of physics. Big quin Chris did explain how gravity works its magic, but it came just after he reminded me how he nearly came a cropper on the Berriedale hairpin, so it may not have had tbe desired effect.

Called Simon and repeated the situation, hopefully some of the riders were able to catch a train ride home?

Chris
Team Mars were very firmly directed to the FCC train.

martint235

Dog on a bike
1967476 said:
If you are being dropped by Long Martin downhill you really need to keep your hands away from the brakes.
I do, unfortunately, have to agree with Adrian. If I'm dropping you on a downhill you really need to look at your technique. There's a thread somewhere where I've asked for advice as my descending is so poor. :sad:

Trickedem

Guru
What a great ride that was. Due to the SouthEastern trains bike ban I decided to ride up from Strood. Although I nearly finished my ride in Dartford when a lady pulled out of Petrol Station in front of me. Two front lights, Hi Viz reflective jacket and she still didn't see me! I hope she will be more careful in future. I did my normal stop at the Tea Hut on Blackheath. Apparently "Business is absolutely rubbish, bloody Olympics" . But as I sat down to enjoy my tea, 3 soldiers ordered cheeseburgers for 20 and a gaggle of drunken girls ordered cakes and coffee. Anyway, I can definitely recommend the enormous slices of cake and tea, for just £1.50 and it is open 24 hours. I then rode over Westminster Bridge and was blown away with the projection of famous Olympians on the side of the Palace, unfortunately I was running a little late so didn't have time to stop and take a photo. Met Stuaff on the bridge, which was great as he was able to guide me to HPC.
As others have said the first half was rather uneventful, apart from the crank and well done to Ian for realising what the problem was. I really enjoyed the sandwiches and cake at the Scout Hall, very well done to all involved. And then then came the rain and the p*nct**e fairy. Olaf was on hand with his comprehensive toolkit and hopefully we didn't lose too much time.
It was great to ride up Ditchling with the mini Hatlers. In 8 years time I look forward to saying I rode up Ditchling with our latest Olympic Gold Medal winners.
I formed my very own team superslow to ride home. Having got lost in a Brighton housing estate, I caught up with TMN, who had left half an hour later than me at Lewes! Finished the day with 152miles on the clock, tired but happy.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Enjoyed that! Shame about the crankarm episode... what a rookie error :shy:

I won't mention my 2 punctures either (wasn't my lucky night).

Enjoyed my first ride home too, although my legs don't agree. Must learn to be more conservative on hills. Thanks to Simon for organising this and everybody for the excellent company!

rb58

Enigma
Enjoyed that! Shame about the crankarm episode... what a rookie error :shy:

I won't mention my 2 punctures either (wasn't my lucky night).

Enjoyed my first ride home too, although my legs don't agree. Must learn to be more conservative on hills. Thanks to Simon for organising this and everybody for the excellent company!
Nice to have you join the SMRbtH crew today SD. You can order your 'club' cap from Walz.com

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Very fetching they looked too, Ross! Cheers for the company.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
At a quarter to four this morning Daisy arrives home in a taxi to find her stepfather stumbling around the kitchen with a sheet wrapped around him. Some time before that he returns home in a taxi (a different taxi) having spent some hours in a garden in Tooting with people he'd known on and off for forty years. Two birthday cakes, perfectly iced, one in white with the words 'Roche 60mg' on and the other in blue with the words 'Bayer 60mg' on mark the 60th birthday of Toxic Tom, a man whose dealer has an EPOS machine, Tom, ever a testament to the preserving powers of narcotics, recalls high times before falling over.. I recognise a man who disappeared from a tent in September 1995, not seen since, who was entirely unaware that two people in two tents a few yards away had met that very morning, fallen in love, married and had celebrated their sixteenth wedding anniversary the previous night by riding to Brighton. Another man who had flown from Philadelphia to be at the birthday party who gets to stay at hotels for free because some people call him Sir.

Some time before all that Susie, Des, Stephen and I on a train with a spy turned rocket scientist. He tells us that a spacecraft, weighing as much as a small car will hurtle toward Mars, slowed only by the world's largest (nay, the solar system's largest) supersonic parachute and small rockets pointing outward. The spacecraft will be lowered to the Red Planet's dusty surface by a special crane equipped with special string, and pictures will be beamed back to earth, giving Nick Park and his trusty team just seven minutes to get their plasticine in shape for the television cameras.

Some time before that a message arrives from Brighton Station. Southern Rail's Olympic Celebration Bike Ban is more spoken of than observed.

Earlier still, a boy with red hair rides up the Ditchling Beacon, accompanied by a man on a Colnago. The boy keeps pace with the man until he rounds a tandem and sprints for the top of the hill, cheered to the heavens by his many admirers.

In the preceding hours, sixty friends roll down wet roads enveloped in a feeling of well-being. The green, green lanes through Streat and Westmeston offer a novel view of the South Downs, but while water cascades across the road, none is falling on our heads....but it pours on Lindfield, where shop awnings, helpfully left out overnight, offer shelter as day breaks. We race down through Ardingly and pant up to Turners Hill, fuelled by tea, coffee, sandwiches and home-made cake laid out for us in an Edifice by Scouts who seem pleased to see us.

A while before the cyclists wend their way along a mud track, a gravel path and a tarmac lane through parts of Surrey that are barely travelled, a backland badland of albino wallabies, peacocks and greyhounds. They gather in a private road to pay their respects to some bungalows. And, a little while before that they streak down the smooth, sinuous tarmac of Lonesome Lane, lights ablaze, rocking from left to right across the road to clip the apex of bends best rounded at slower speeds, a snake of carbon, wire and lycra tipping their caps to teddy bears.

The Met directs traffic, and sixty lost souls turn left down a suburban street and then right across an ancient common. This comes as a considerable surprise to many in the herd, Daisy's stepfather inculded.

A crowd gathers in the centre of London. Some greet old acquaintances and some nervous newcomers ponder the significance of 'bollards, bungalows and grooves'.

A boy with a disease that nobody understands is given a bike because the doctors doesn't trust the new medicines. Bikes come and go, and the boy gets stronger by degrees, riding up the Ditchling Beacon for the first time in 1971 at the age of seventeen. Another boy rides up the Ditchling Beacon in 2011 at the age of nine, accompanied by the first boy, now the Ostap (Sulayman Berta Maria) Bender of Night Riding. There's every chance that the second boy, the boy with red hair will do so again in 2051. That's the way history is made.

des.o

Veteran
Very good dell - I liked that.

My first fnrttc for a year or so and my stumbling around the house this morning 24 odd hours later reminds me why I need to ration these lost night's sleep. It was a lovely ride as ever - thanks all.

Particularly enjoyed the new approach to Ditchling, so much nicer than the long dull run in to the village of old. Plus a meander through housing estates and parks unknown to me miraculously appeared to miss out the old route through the south london mayhem. Gets my vote every time. Nice to see that that they had resurfaced the Beacon, shame that their efforts hadn't included flattening it out a bit. I never get this tosh about it being an 'easy enough climb'. I heard the same about something call Brass Knocker hill near Bath a couple of weeks ago after it had reduced me to breathing through my ears. Terrific climbing effort from cafewanda - rounding that last turn looking completely untroubled by the whole thing. As for Hatler jnr, sterling stuff - age is no excuse, I'd never have been able to manage a sprint kick at the end of that hill. If I was in the marketing employ of a Trek or Specialized it would be junior sized road bikes that I'd be pushing to the front of new product development at the moment.

Cheers to Tim for the entertaining and illuminating stories of rocket science on the train ride home - I suspect you are safe in the knowledge that any secrets divulged will have long since been forgotten. On arriving back in town I went in search of Pitt Cue and something that I had read about in the Standard last week called Trailer Trash- a deep fried macaroni cheeseburger with pulled pork. Perfect post fnrttc fare. Unfortunately, but probably good news for my heart, it was closed... I suspect that their marketing efforts had correctly assessed that the demand for such an item is limited at 10:30am.

TimO

Guru
Just to complete their education, or start it for anyone who missed my illuminating (or more likely confusing) explanation on the train, here's a link to a more explanatory video.

Contrary to what that video implies, should it all go horribly wrong, and the remains of Curiosity ends up decorating a large area of the Martian surface, they will have some information about what happened. Mars Express (an ESA spacecraft currently in orbit around Mars) will be monitoring the signal from Curiosity in a so called "Open Loop" recording (as probably will some Earth based ground stations, albeit with a substantially greater Noise to Signal level), which will allow them to see both the Doppler level shifts as the various stages of entry deacceleration occur, but also the limited "tones" that will be transmitted to show what the spacecraft thinks is happening. They can't send back a detailed telemetry, because of the impossibility of accurately pointing a high-gain antenna from a slightly unpredictably moving spacecraft, but they will send a very much lower data rate signal indicating the gross features of the landing. Of course, when it successfully lands, they'll be able to uplink much more detailed telemetry about the landing, including things like pictures from the descent imager, which will take five HD images a second for around the last three minutes of the descent (basically once the heat shield is released, and no longer in the way of the camera).

Exciting stuff, all happening in just under eighteen hours, around 6am tomorrow morning.

Hello Des - I was only asking about you the other day...via 'Agent LFGSS Wanda' and lo! you turn up. :thumbsup:

And thanks for posting the mental equivalent of a Ditchling Beacon for me Tim. (I'll try and decode it later...will there be a big bang? :rolleyes:)

Tim Hall

Random snippets.
Missed a few familiar faces. Boo.
London drivers don't care if they're running over a well loved cycling cap. Boo again.
Explained the story of the teddy bears to a rapt audience.
Failed to set off three speed cameras (the one in Coulsdon is rubbish, Reigate Hill we were baulked by a mini cab, Brighton our planned "ride through the camera together buddy" missed the break).
Felt ever so tired after the Edifice and considered bailing as we crossed the Worth Way. A minute of shut eye at Turners Hill fixed that.
Chatted to some bloke on his first ride "Are they all at night?". Ah. The clue is in the name.
Very pleased when it stopped raing in Lindfield.
Even more pleased to see the hatler coffee bar.

A couple of snaps here. The teddy bears were taken today, as the night time ones didn't work.

Top Bottom