FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Brighton August 23rd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The chances are I wont be cycling back home, so can I just turn up at Brighton Station and buy a ticket on spec with a bike, or do I need to book?

(sighs deeply)
Getting back to London - there are eight trains every hour. My favourites are the 19 and 49 past because they don't stop at Gatwick, land of heavy spoke-busting suitcases. There are still cheap tickets available on Southern, but if you want flexibility on your return time form a group of four to get yourselves a half price Groupsave ticket .

procel

IIRC the cheapest turn-up ticket from Brighton to London is the FCC only ticket to London Bridge (it's not only cheaper than the S ticket to LBr, it's cheaper than a FCC ticket to E Croydon - and you can still use it to get off at E Croydon, weirdly).

procel

2610354 said:
Technically no, that is what train companies call "travelling short" and they can, in theory, charge you the full fair for the journey made. Having said that, they don't care unless the moon is blue.

Only if it's a special ticket (pretty much only booked-particular-train tickets). With normal tickets you can get on at a later station, get off early, or get off early and get back on again. (Rule 16, National Rail Conditions of Carriage).

thom

____
Just checked the met weather forecast - it appears:
1) warm - 16 degrees
2) good chance of rain of sorts
3) mostly a tail-wind
TV weather said the weather patterns for the bank holiday are hard to predict so this may change

hatler

Guru
And one disaster averted. One of our first timers on this ride had his handlebars snap in two on Monday morning on the way to work. New set duly ordered and in the process of being fitted now I understand.

Steve Jones

Given the weather forecast, there are likely to be quite a lot of fresh sharpies on the roads, so I think I'll be putting the Armadillos on the bike for this one.

No doubt I will now get the blame for related incidents having raised doubts in people's minds, but I think my faith is better placed in Kevlar belts rather than not mentioning the unmentionable...

Given the weather forecast, there are likely to be quite a lot of fresh sharpies on the roads, so I think I'll be putting the Armadillos on the bike for this one.

No doubt I will now get the blame for related incidents having raised doubts in people's minds, but I think my faith is better placed in Kevlar belts rather than not mentioning the unmentionable...

What. 'Punctures' do you mean? I am reminded of a quote by Adam of the 'Triple A Team' "Puncture, puncture, puncture, puncture, puncture!" (repeat ad infinitum, or until you get tyred etc) ^_^

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
61 miles. Three set piece hills, one of which is the horror that goes by the name of the Ditchling Beacon. Halfway stop at the Edifice, breakfast at the Madeira Cafe right on the seafront

I recce'd it this morning and was struck by how much it's improved over the years, particularly at the southern end. It offers the shortest route out of London, the single most intoxicating run of tarmac this side of the Pecos, a bit of adventure in the Horley Badlands and some pretty villages. All this and some really sweet countryside,

Late August is really the best time of year to do the Brighton run - there's enough darkness to make it mysterious, the sun should be up and about by the time we get to Slugwash Lane and it won't be too hot on the Beacon. If we get one of those early morning mists it will be just reward for a life of virtue.

Slugwash Lane! I used to live near there for a while. Have fun, but watch out for the Beast of Balcombe. :ph34r:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Adrian C
Alice C
Amanda O
Andrew Bt
Andrew By
Andrew C
Andrew F
Andy C
Angus F
Angus L
Anne H
Anne M
Bill R
Carine B
Charlie B
Charlie M
Chris By
Chris F
Christophe P
Clive B
Clive Bt
Dan P
Daniel R
Dave J
David C
David P
Des O'D
Ejaz R
Elizabeth C
Els V
Fred S
Gary B
Geoff S
Grigor McL
Guy W
Howard K
Ian F
Jenny M
Jerome C
Jim G
Joanna C
Jochen H
John E
John K
John M
John O'L
Jonathan K
Kam S
Katka K
Kirk T
Kristjan K
Lee T
Lee T (Ms)
Lucy J
Luke C
Malcolm D
Marcus C
Marcus Ca
Mark N
Mark St
Martin W
Mary L
Matthew W
Michelle P
Nick L
Nigel Cro
Nigel T
Nigel W
Paul D
Paul E
Peter Wo
Philip P
Richard L
Rimas G
Rob H
Rob P
Robbie F
Simon C
Sophie H
Stan E
Stephen B
Stephen T
Steve D
Steve J
Stuart A
Stuart C
Susie F
Thom F
Tony P
Григо́рий
Павел З

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Oh, this weather is causing some clothing headaches. There appears to be the chance of some very heavy thunder storms.
Do I take my bulky waterproof, night vision evo, which will be too hot or do I take my pacamac jobbie which isnt up to much more than a light shower, but fits easily into a pocket?
I will defo have mudguards, but I may be forced to break another fnrttc rule and bring my pannier!!

Top Bottom