FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Felpham 31st August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kimble

Veteran
Having told our esteemed leader that lifting the tandem would present no problems, by not bringing said tandem and using a recumbent instead, the lifting was a bit of an education. Finding where to grab it was the biggest problem.

I solved that one, after having trouble on previous rides with well-meaning people having no idea of where to grab it (the centre of mass is unintuitive, and not all likely-looking protrusions are capable of bearing the bike's substantial weight, while several unlikely-looking ones are), by the novel solution of turning mine upside-down and balancing it on my head. The seat padding made this surprisingly comfortable.

This was a source of amusement to several on-lookers, but enabled me to negotiate the gates relatively painlessly, as long as someone was available to do the open-closey thing and tell me what was going on with the back of the bike (sadly I'm not tall enough for the rack bag to clear the fence).

Unfortunately it all went a bit wrong when putting the bike down after, I think, the third gate. As the weight of the bike prevented me from tilting my head, I hadn't spotted the substantial wildlife-related excavation at the side of the path. Naturally, I managed to put my foot right in it, twisting my knee crunchily in the process, and making the final part of the ride somewhat painful. It's a lot better today, though.

As the entire rabbit population of south-east England appeared to be lying dead on the roads (seriously, did anyone else think the amount of roadkill on this ride was much higher than usual?), I've decided to blame badgers. They're always causing problems, badgers.

All that aside, this was by far the best Felpham ride I've done, and one of the best FNRttCs ever. It all just came together beautifully. Many thanks and congratulations to all who made it happen!

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
It was jolly decent of Simon to do a repeat performance of the Clapham Common artic trick, for the benefit of those who missed it first time.

I'd never really appreciated the Felpham run in the past for more than a slightly longer version of Brighton. Last night, however was magical. The spooky Blair Witch Project woods, the long long descents and that stretch that seemed to be 5+ miles at 20+mph just before the right turn where we stopped for ages just after sunrise.

Big thanks to Adam FD for a swift tube change and the CO2 fix. Most people are far quicker than me at changing tubes. That was indeed the last tube left over from my Bianchi, the short valve stems long forgotten about.

The warp speed SMRbtH with Ian, Moses and Ant put the tin lid on the whole night/day, although I bailed at Croydon. 143 miles for me.

And finally…
All that aside, this was by far the best Felpham ride I've done, and one of the best FNRttCs ever. It all just came together beautifully. Many thanks and congratulations to all who made it happen!

U

User10571

2018499 said:
Brilliant. You have just identified for me the moment of Simon's mood change. We were looking at the traffic to identify a suitable gap when I pointed the Arctic down the road, which he sized up as a potential target target with something approaching relish.
You know what?
That didn't pass me by either....

EDIT: I recall an exchange of words along the lines of 'OMG. He's not going to go for the artic again, is he?'

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
You know what?
That didn't pass me by either....

EDIT: I recall an exchange of words along the lines of 'OMG. He's not going to go for the artic again, is he?'
Had the artic driver not stopped my bad mood would have been a wonder to behold.

U

User10571

Had the artic driver not stopped my bad mood would have been a wonder to behold.
There is no way that driver, at the start of his tacho-regulated shift, could've possibly known The Force he was going to encounter during the course of his night's work....

thom

____
2018742 said:
Just got it, very good, mock my dyslexia why don't you.
:rolleyes:
That Arctic would've cooled down most situations...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
There is no way that driver, at the start of his tacho-regulated shift, could've possibly known The Force he was going to encounter during the course of his night's work....
StarWarsIV_243Pyxurz.jpg

"You don't need to run these cyclists over. They're free to get on their way".

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Which station was that? What reason did he give? Might be worth following it up with Southern to prevent problems in the future.
Honor Oak Park. There is a big poster with convoluted Olympic and Paralympic bike restrictions (none of which appear on http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/cycle-policy/ When he wouldn't let me in I didn't stand around arguing as it would probably have been futile and I had to make haste to get to the next station (Forest Hill) which has an unattended side entrance, so I knew I'd be able to get in. However, I've since checked the poster and as far as I can tell none of the restrictions apply to the time/service I was getting so I may send them an email. For all the good it will do.

Ooh! Victorian postboxes? Where?
The first Victorian Post Box find was in Yapton, by the village shop. The second in Hurstpierpoint on my morning ride. There's a plaque to William Blake on the Fox in Felpham. Blake lived in Felpham and wrote a poem about the place sometimes quoted by Simon. Curiously the pictoral sign of the Fox, shows a ship. There's a plaque on the wall that says that the painter George Morland painted a picture of a ship on the wall of the inn in lieu of rent. Intruiging ... all the more reason to go on the next Felpham ride.

2018664 said:
A weasel, which ran across the road in front of me on the road beneath Arundel Castle.
I too saw a weasel somewhere to the North of Arundel on my way home.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I thought about pulling out of this one. I had one of my dogs put to sleep on Friday afternoon, so wasn't sure how I'd feel. As it turned out it was a great ride, possibly my favourite so far. My ride up to the start felt relaxed but still quick, the ride back out of London on familiar roads equally relaxed. The long dark stretches across the Weald were perfect for just getting in the rhythm, feeling the night air, getting my thoughts in some kind of order. Squaring up to a chunk of bread pudding the size of a house brick. A gentle change from dark to light accompanied by the smell of decomposing badger. Being 'officially' told off for riding helmetless, being supported by a helmeted trauma surgeon. Feeling that if I hadn't needed to spend time with family I could have ridden home, not fast but comfortably. Getting off the train early just so I could ride just a bit further. Good times, good memories. Thanks for a great night one and all.

Tim Hall

Honor Oak Park. There is a big poster with convoluted Olympic and Paralympic bike restrictions (none of which appear on http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/cycle-policy/ When he wouldn't let me in I didn't stand around arguing as it would probably have been futile and I had to make haste to get to the next station (Forest Hill) which has an unattended side entrance, so I knew I'd be able to get in. However, I've since checked the poster and as far as I can tell none of the restrictions apply to the time/service I was getting so I may send them an email. For all the good it will do.

The convoluted restrictions were withdrawn for the Paralympics for reasons unclear. Southern put something on their website. Seems the message didn't get through to the man on the Clapham Omnibus man at Honor Oak Park.

The first Victorian Post Box find was in Yapton, by the village shop. The second in Hurstpierpoint on my morning ride. There's a plaque to William Blake on the Fox in Felpham. Blake lived in Felpham and wrote a poem about the place sometimes quoted by Simon. Curiously the pictoral sign of the Fox, shows a ship. There's a plaque on the wall that says that the painter George Morland painted a picture of a ship on the wall of the inn in lieu of rent. Intruiging ... all the more reason to go on the next Felpham ride.

Snapped the Blake plaque last time I did that ride:
IMGP3144.JPG

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I've already posted but on reflection would like to say that being All Up Man is very enjoyable, especially when accompanied by such fine fellows as John, Ian and Trickeredem. It would be even more enjoyable and the ride would be slightly quicker if riders would have a quick pee at a regrouping rather than wait until the ride is moving off then disappear into the woods. Then 300 yards later someone else does the same. And I am sure the FNRttC says something about checking batteries so we don't stop after an hour to change batteries in a light, only to discover we don't have any new ones.
But for anyone who wants to know, being able to yell ALL UP at regular intervals is A Fun Thing and I commend it to the house.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I've already posted but on reflection would like to say that being All Up Man is very enjoyable, especially when accompanied by such fine fellows as John, Ian and Trickeredem. It would be even more enjoyable and the ride would be slightly quicker if riders would have a quick pee at a regrouping rather than wait until the ride is moving off then disappear into the woods. Then 300 yards later someone else does the same. And I am sure the FNRttC says something about checking batteries so we don't stop after an hour to change batteries in a light, only to discover we don't have any new ones.
But for anyone who wants to know, being able to yell ALL UP at regular intervals is A Fun Thing and I commend it to the house.
FYI, I usually have eight AAs & four AAAs (fully charged, natch) should they be needed.

Top Bottom