FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Felpham 31st August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Simon, having now experienced a good group ride of significantly inferior quality - you, sir, are a genius. I regret intensely my decision to ride to the greatest city on earth rather than a very insignificant South coast town.

If that earns me an honorary life membership in RichP's book of internet nobbers - c'est la vie.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Simon, having now experienced a good group ride of significantly inferior quality - you, sir, are a genius. I regret intensely my decision to ride to the greatest city on earth rather than a very insignificant South coast town.

If that earns me an honorary life membership in RichP's book of internet nobbers - c'est la vie.
Yes, but you did go to a very significant South coast city ;)

mmmmartin

Random geezer
2016946 said:
We were a bit out of order, all over the road, some over the white line, some 3 or 4 abreast.
As the Night's Formal Bloke At The Back I could see it all and, to be said only once, and purely as my own personal private opinion: those who ride like idiots, four across, on the other side of the white line in busy traffic, threatening the CTC insurance, getting Our Glorious Revered Leader in trouble, should be quietly advised that if they want to ride to the coast, they can do it alone. Nuff said.

StuartG

slower but further
We were asked for real report and all they got was this flim-flam. Chocolate box villages, dawn, a visitation from Hot Fuzz ... AND ONLY ONE MENTION OF BREAD PUDDING.

Delicious, filling and great value. The ride summarised in one dessert. Boggers is my favourite ride and this was my favourite Boggers ride. Somehow the miles slipped easily away. It was a very talkative ride, decidely good humoured for those of us who missed the free donation of chips from Sutton. Perfect.

In fact I don't think I have arrived on any ride in such good shape. What to do next?

Hard choice. Getting smashed with Claud & Co or riding back home. Yes, I had not realised that sleep deprivation had so addled my judgement that I set back with a bunch who kidded me they were Team Slow. I also explained I don't do hills and so found myself at the top of Bury. They did wait patiently, bless 'em. Then onward through Amberley with my speedo stuck on the wrong side of 20. An imperial 20!

Its great to be out of your comfort zone. I even enjoyed our unplanned excursion around Gordon's Alma Mater. He must have been impressed with my sympathetic cries of "Christ ..."

Horsham came and went as we retraced our steps through Rusper, refuelling at an organic farm, Newdigate and taking the Merstham Gap deviation to avoid any further hills. We arrived at Purley station at 3.10 with 128 miles on the clock. In bed 30 minutes later.

Woke up to find I had missed Dr Who. So not a perfect day after all.

StuAff

Well..that was (yet another) hell of a night/morning. I must have been quite tired afterwards as the afternoon nap was four hours.. somewhat reinforcing the point that for me, sadly, joining the Southwold ride would not be a good idea...but anyway...

As per recent rides, current role (dealing with damaged/vaguely addressed mail and getting it out for despatch/off to the designated places) and duty time at work (9.30 finish) meant it was a case of bringing the gear in with me, and if need be going straight from there to Portsmouth & Southsea station (which is directly over the road). So, all packed up in the rucksack, ready for the off, all set...then at five (after my meal break) I suddenly realised that my railcard & ticket were still sitting on the shelf at home. ****!!! So, one way or another I'd have to nip home first. If need be, there is a plan B train (getting into Clapham just before midnight) but that involves a connection and assorted potential bother, so certainly not ideal. Fortunately, all the sections that have an unfortunate tendency to dump lots of work on me just when I least want failed to do so, finishing early and leaving little enough for me. By the time I'd dealt with the last of the repairs the sorters were tying up for the despatch (and some of that was already on its way) so I'd done all I could for the day. I could have spent five or ten minutes getting some of those few remaining letters on their way, I do most nights, but not tonight. Made home in ten minutes, changed, out the door again, and at the nearest station (two stops up the line from P&S) with three minutes to spare. Phew! And for once, the train was in early (smelling salts not required).

At HPC, with a hint of moisture in the air, I asked User10571 which forecaster we should shoot. Fortunately, a hint was all it was and that didn't last. So off we went. Sarf Lunnon passed by without incident, and Chutney rapidily (in multiple senses) proved a most capable steed for the night. Comfortable, smooth, no annoying rattles (apart from the longer cables required for the fold tapping against the frame), and surprisingly (to others) quick. A DualDrive hub is not the lightest bit of kit, but it is quite handy being able to (in effect) drop two chainring sizes at a standstill. And the turn of speed is impaired by the rider, not the bike. The little folder that could, did. At no point was I wishing I'd brought one of the other three instead. The hedge was merely a parking space, Rich ;) And great to see you back on a FNR at last.

Oh yes, the Cabin's bread pudding. Ever since I first tried Mark's splendid version, that last stretch to the caf has been The Race For The Bread Pudding. Even when, as last night, I've already had some of my own supply (the bakery down the road does an excellent one), I want some of Mark's and getting to the counter to find it's all gone is not good. Fortunately, the good man had prepared what looked like a bumper batch, and in any case I must have been one of the first fifteen or twenty peeps there (and like most of us, I'm never going to beat the skaters!!). Which was a good job, as I needed the calories after that little time-trial- hard work, but it felt good (sort of).

The off-roading isn't really to my taste, but then neither is the dreadful monotonous grind that is Bury Hill. After the fuzz incident (upon which I can only agree with Adrian), on we went to the Lobster Pot, who once again excelled themselves. Top-notch breakfast, splendid cake, generous pot of tea. Much to like. I joined the pub peloton when they left, before continuing west. The Garmin said 69 miles since HPC, home by my usual straightish route was 25 miles or so. 95 miles? Nope, not having that. So I took a slight detour via Nyetimber before heading up to Chichester, and added a few more miles with another slight diversion. Job done, made home just before 12.30, 100.46 on the clock. Chutney's first century. Then lunch, nap, up again in time for Doctor Who.

As ever, thanks one and all. And for those who will be on their way to Southwold next week, have fun you lucky people.

U

User10571

Stu - just out of interest - did Chutney's previous owner used to be Henryk aka Woollypigs?

In other news...
Just woke up - around half an hour ago.
Consumed about six portions of various salads (it's all I have in the 'ready-to-eat-right-now-without-having-to-do-anything-to-it' category) and a couple of glasses of Sauvvy Blanc.
Am awake, alert.
What the hell am I supposed to do with the rest of the night?
Hmmm?

StuAff

Stu - just out of interest - did Chutney's previous owner used to be Henryk aka Woollypigs?

In other news...
Just woke up - around half an hour ago.
Consumed about six portions of various salads (it's all I have in the 'ready-to-eat-right-now-without-having-to-do-anything-to-it' category) and a couple of glasses of Sauvvy Blanc.
Am awake, alert.
What the hell am I supposed to do with the rest of the night?
Hmmm?
Yes, it is indeed Henrik's former steed. The original 2008 model frame- on which he climbed the Tourmalet- was replaced with a 2010 version under warranty, though it's still got the original fork and other components. He loved it- as I do- but he decided he wasn't riding it enough.

.... then a mass wander on to the Climping Road where, to be honest, we were all across the way, causing two police officers, young, enthusiastic and yet to grow in to the job to stop the ride and thus convert a rolling road block in to a stationary one.

I think you have a Sixth Sense about what's going on sometimes. The best bit was watching it all from the rear, as we could see the 3-4 across developing, and then you zoomed ahead to try and curb that, the unmarked Audi behind you also accelerated in a vain attempt to catch you, along with putting on his siren and flashing lights. After doing his little lecture, the copper gave up in the end I think as he realised no-one was bothered about him telling us we should all be wearing helmets.

Anyway, as mentioned above, my favourite ride. The ups, the downs, the views, the company. Only one puncture about 10 miles north of Faygate, Charlie's first on his new steed. Sadly, he realised too late he only had short valve replacements, which on his fancy wheels meant about 5 mm of stem visible, so nothing for a pump to latch onto. Fortunately, that's enough for a gas cylinder to work on! Remember folks - long valve inner tubes are the way to go.

The Cabin and the Lobster Pot were a tour de force. In fact as we were leaving Felpham, Rebecca and I chatted to the chef and complimented him on the quantity and quality of the food. He in turn complimented the FNRttC by saying the steady line of riders turning up was perfect (as clearly too many at once or too many gaps wouldn't be ideal).

I took lots of pictures, including some bungalows, but you'll have to wait for a few days before I can get them online.

U

User10571

It's just occurred to me....
Does anyone have a picture of Mark from The Cabin?
And another of Mark Grant to compare it to?
Have the two of them ever been seen in the same room?
Just sayin' like.

Buggered sleep patterns. Such marvellous hallucinogenic things.

StuAff

RE Charlie's wheels & tubes. Been there, done that- Campag Zondas don't look like deeper-section rims, but they are. Continental tubes with 42mm stem (or equivalent) do nicely.

rb58

Enigma
Let's be honest, Sutton was great value wasn't it? Adrian and I were trying to figure out if we were entertaining them, or they were entertaining us...

One of the highlights for me was way marking the junction just after Betchworth. The ride had become strung out and the TECs were dealing with Charie's visitation, so I was stood in pitch dark for quite some time. Brilliantly quiet and still. Just me and nature. Loved it. And that meant I could take the stage down to The Cabin at speed. And that's a great road to stretch your legs. Bagsie that corner again next time please Simon.

You excelled yourselves this time Simon. Any grumpiness you felt at the start would never have survived long on such a sublime ride. Thank you!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
2018304 said:
That aside it was all lovely. Dryer than expected, warmer than expected, smaller than expected, quieter in Sutton than expected. All good really.

Are you reading this LongMartin? you big oaf.

Tim Hall

What a fantastic ride.

The evening started badly when the guy at my local (Southern) station refused me entry to the station with my bike. I managed to ride like mad to the next station and catch my train there.

Hi Mr Trousers. Which station was that? What reason did he give? Might be worth following it up with Southern to prevent problems in the future.
I've often sniffed at the idea that lightness is all in a bike, but then I've never had to repeatedly lift my bike over my head. It was a bit galling seeing people lift their featherlight modern bikes with fingertips while I buckled at the knees under the weight of mine. Sorry to those gateholders I whacked in the face while struggling. Still, it was impressive to see that Joanna Lumley rivals Brunel when it comes to bridges.
Having told our esteemed leader that lifting the tandem would present no problems, by not bringing said tandem and using a recumbent instead, the lifting was a bit of an education. Finding where to grab it was the biggest problem.

And on top of all that I saw two Victorian postboxes, and several plaques. What more could the heart of man desire?

Route and some not very good pics are here.
http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=3286684

Thanks as ever to Simon and the wayfinders. And gateholders.

Ooh! Victorian postboxes? Where? Trivia fans note that the Brighton route goes within spitting distance of Reigate telephone exchange, complete with an Edward VIII crest.

Top Bottom