FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Felpham 31st August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
2012147 said:
Are you going via Brighton?

No guv, straight up the A29

Trickedem

Guru
2012147 said:
Are you going via Brighton?
I am going back to Brighton. Hoping to pop in to see my son, then catch the 13.19 train back to London, not sure if this will leave much time for proper liquid refreshment in Bognor. Is the South Coast Cycle Route any good?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Is the South Coast Cycle Route any good?

Where it's marked properly, yes. It seems somewhat sporadic though. I'd suggest sticking to the A259 as far as Littlehampton, go through the town to avoid a bit of not-terribly-pleasant dual carriageway and a couple of busy roundabouts (though I have gone that way enough times), then back on the 259 for the duration.

Trickedem

Guru
I don't know the route from Felpham to Littlehampton, but I've done the bit between Brighton and Littlehampton many times. I'd stay off the A259 as much as possible, it's pretty horrible. There is a cycle path alongside the dual carriageway before you turn off over a level crossing somewhere or other. The cycle route weaves about along the coast and the prom in a more relaxed way, and includes the delights of going round the Southwick allotments and across the lock gates at Shoreham - much nicer but probably not as quick so it depends on time pressure I suppose.
Thanks, I have put that route into my garmin, so should be able to find it. Sounds quite nice.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Immediately after breakfast I'll be proceeding sloowly to one of the stations on the Brighton line. Hassocks, Haywards Heath, one of those. I'll go back North the way we came first then turn East, where it's flat-ish.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I shall be returning to Brighton but not on the 259 unless it's unavoidable for a section. Convoluted, complicated and quiet will be my preferred route.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
2013151 said:
I may do, but my plan may involve riding on to Crowborough.
Okay. Abstinence may be good for me!
I'm yet to be convinced though.

U

User10571

I've just come back inside after some fettling, and it's cold out there! I don't think I'll be in shorts & short sleeved jersey tomorrow night.
Blimey! With your last-weekend-before-christmas-ride-to-Whizzy-belle-in-shorts experience, that's saying something.

U

User10571

Metcheck says it'll 'feel' like about 8 degrees. Tricky...
Not so tricky.
Anything in single figures points towards longs. Legs and fingers. YM (and that of others) MV.
'Tricky' is the journey home the following morning - when the sun's a-blistering and you wish you could take off another layer without risking arrest.

Top Bottom