FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable 31st May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
According to the blog, one has to be a member of either CTC, BC or summat, and that place are limited for BC members, is that the case for this ride?

mmmmartin

Random geezer
If there are no places left for BC peeps, just join the CTC. If you are a member of a club, such as The Fridays, which costs two whole English Pounds, then CTC membership is £14 I think. Believe me, it is worth it for one night ride, let alone a dozen or more. Just sayin' like.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
If there are no places left for BC peeps, just join the CTC. If you are a member of a club, such as The Fridays, which costs two whole English Pounds, then CTC membership is £14 I think. Believe me, it is worth it for one night ride, let alone a dozen or more. Just sayin' like.

I don't really want to join the CTC as well, one membership is enough.

I have sent an email, but not yet had a reply.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I'm totally with you CarlP I'm a member of BC and do not see the need to join another society, however after my first fnrtcc this weekend you become aware of the amount of work Simon puts in to make the ride a really great experience. The fact is he really does not need to do this for the cycling community yet does so.
Personally I will become a sub member of the CTC through the Fridays and not because I believe they offer valuable services to myself above BC, but because I feel its important to support the efforts of Simon and this small request is something he would like. All in all I gain more from fnrttc than I will very likely give.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm totally with you CarlP I'm a member of BC and do not see the need to join another society, however after my first fnrtcc this weekend you become aware of the amount of work Simon puts in to make the ride a really great experience. The fact is he really does not need to do this for the cycling community yet does so.
Personally I will become a sub member of the CTC through the Fridays and not because I believe they offer valuable services to myself above BC, but because I feel its important to support the efforts of Simon and this small request is something he would like. All in all I gain more from fnrttc than I will very likely give.

Fair enough, I'm sure it's a lot of effort, organising these rides, I'm not quite sure why one needs to be a member of any organisation to ride on the roads, other than PLI, but then I'm not sure why one would need PLI to ride a bike, you don't need it when riding on your own. If thems the rules, so be it. I won't be joining CTC.

I expect someone will be along to explain in a moment. Perhaps the ride is full, I haven't had a reply to my mail. I might resent to from a different address.

Tim Hall

Fair enough, I'm sure it's a lot of effort, organising these rides, I'm not quite sure why one needs to be a member of any organisation to ride on the roads, other than PLI, but then I'm not sure why one would need PLI to ride a bike, you don't need it when riding on your own. If thems the rules, so be it. I won't be joining CTC.

I expect someone will be along to explain in a moment. Perhaps the ride is full, I haven't had a reply to my mail. I might resent to from a different address.
His Leggness was rather occupied yesterday, what with there being an FNRTTC to Brighton and all. And then this morning I spied him asleep outside the Madeira Cafe. Either he's still there or was whisked off to Wetherspoons to recuperate. Give him a chance to reply, he's only (super)human.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

Carl, the reasons for the insurance thing are many and varied. Simon did not take the decision to go down the club/compulsory insurance route lightly or without thoroughly evaluating the possible options. And you probably haven't had a reply yet because of last night's ride ;)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Carl - you have mail.

In a general way I insist on third party insurance because I want everybody on the ride to know that the people riding with them at sleepy o'clock have third party insurance. That way, if somebody does something silly there's a line of redress.

The CTC provides the club with free Organiser's insurance. Without that there'd be no ride - I'd be putting my house on the line. I did strive to come to some arrangement with BC and with LCC but they couldn't see their way to supporting the ride.

So.........that's the deal. I don't think it's too far-fetched to expect the CTC to get some kind of a return on their support. There are five LCC/BC places on each ride, and an LCC or BC member can have up to five 'free' rides, but after their fifth ride they have to front up the sixteen quid. In addition, everybody who comes on the ride has to join the Fridays, but, at two quid for the year, that's not such a bad bargain.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I'm not quite sure why one needs to be a member of any organisation to ride on the roads
I absolutely agree, it is obvious that there surely should be no logical reason that anyone should have to be a member of any organisation simply to ride the roads. Going down that route would be madness and I would stick my neck out and say that (virtually) no member of such an open and friendly and co-operative group as The Fridays would disagree.

This is a CTC ride so it is not unreasonable to ask that those on it adhere to the rules set out by the CTC. Without CTC insurance for the organiser these rides would not happen. So obviously The Fridays members, I am sure, would back to the hilt your absolute right to ride public roads from Hyde Park Corner to Whitstable, but if the BC places are taken and you won't join the CTC/Fridays, then you're not going to do this ride with us.

This is a free country, and that is your choice.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Well worth the money imo. I dont need BC membership as i dont race (i dont have the stream lined physique for it ) I only got it to get the 10% discount on my old bike form Helfrauds so the 3 rd party insurance was just a bonus. I will be joining the CTC when mine is up for renewel. As then im not limited to the amount of fnrttc rides i can attend.

Top Bottom