FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable 31st May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Carl - you have mail.

In a general way I insist on third party insurance because I want everybody on the ride to know that the people riding with them at sleepy o'clock have third party insurance. That way, if somebody does something silly there's a line of redress.

The CTC provides the club with free Organiser's insurance. Without that there'd be no ride - I'd be putting my house on the line. I did strive to come to some arrangement with BC and with LCC but they couldn't see their way to supporting the ride.

So.........that's the deal. I don't think it's too far-fetched to expect the CTC to get some kind of a return on their support. There are five LCC/BC places on each ride, and an LCC or BC member can have up to five 'free' rides, but after their fifth ride they have to front up the sixteen quid. In addition, everybody who comes on the ride has to join the Fridays, but, at two quid for the year, that's not such a bad bargain.
Purely out of curiosity, because I have no problem at all about renewing my CTC associate membership especially as it's dead cheap compared to what you get out of it, what exactly is it that invalidates the 3rd party coverage that I already have via LCC? Is it some actuarial notion that a group ride will involve the kind of risk taking on the cyclists' part that you'd be more likely to associate with closed road racing?
Apologies if this has been clarified elsewhere - I missed it.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
nothing invalidates the LCC insurance, which is operated by the same (not so spectacular) underwriters as the CTC insurance. It's just part of the deal. I get the organisers insurance, and the CTC gets the members.

LCC did consider offering insurance to The Fridays, which would have made for a happy co-operation between the two organisations, but the sticking point from the underwriters was the rides that started outside London. I'm not really sure how that made the difference - LCC groups do train assisted rides that start in the sticks. The sticking points with BC was helmets (less said the better) and money - I'd have had to charge everybody a small amount for each ride.

I confess I do prioritise LCC riders over BC riders . One or two fine people aside, BC members cancel. And the insurance policy, is, as far as I understand it, not so good.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thanks for the clarification and the email. I shall review the situation. I presume, to join the CTC @ £16 one has to be a member of the Fridays first?

Edit| It has only just occurred to me that Simon Legg is Dellzeqq.

rb58

Enigma
2429128 said:
Getting back into your evil, ride back home pushing ways I see.
I might surprise you one day and do the beer thing instead..... Although we had quite a peloton yesterday, and I think @ianrauk particularly like my diversion over the north downs and the greensand ridge. At least I think that's what I heard him say as we went past Chartwell.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I might surprise you one day and do the beer thing instead..... Although we had quite a peloton yesterday, and I think @ianrauk particularly like my diversion over the north downs and the greensand ridge. At least I think that's what I heard him say as we went past Chartwell.
you didn't go through the Girls' School! With your reputation!

lilolee

Veteran
Signing on, email sent, I must be mad :wacko:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Adam B
Adrian C
Alan D
Alice C
Andrew C
Andrew F
Antonio R
Bill R
Carl P
Charlie M
Chris By (southern)
Christine K
Claudine C
Damien K
David H
Gary J
Geoff S
Grahame D
Guy W
Ian At
Jane D
Jenny M
John M
User10571 B
Kevon R
Kim Carter
Kim W
Lee H
Luke C
Mark W
Martin T
Michael A
Miranda S
Nick L
Paul Rd
Peter W
Rebecca O
Richard G
Ross C
Simon W
son of Kim C
Sonia W
Stephen B
Steve P
Stuart A
Susie F
Tim D
Tim O
Titus H

hatler

Guru
I don't really want to join the CTC as well, one membership is enough.

I have sent an email, but not yet had a reply.

By any measure, £16 for even just one FNRttC is astounding value given the effort that goes into organising the rides.

And after that, all the rides for the next 12 months are free !!

Top Bottom