Front brakes , what are they good for ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RufusChucklebutty

Über Member
I was pondering the other day that in the last ten years I can't ever think of ever using my front brake, I've never even fitted a new brake pad, my rear brake stops me fine at any speed and if I used a front at any kind of speed I would go head first over the handle bars. The only use for it I can see on a normal commuting or leisure bike is if the rear brake cable snaps, something that has never happened to me. I can't speak for competitive mountain bike or stunt riders because I don't do that.

I have a 6 mile commute once a week along the flat canal towpath and the bike I use has no front brake ( or front mech ) I just don't need them.

Possibly doubling up the cable to the rear brake would give you a safety fall back and eliminate the front brake entirely ?

IBarrett

Über Member
I need both my brakes when going downhill or my fat 'arris would be like a runaway truck heading to a disaster on most downhills.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As above. I use my front brake most of the time. Rear for gradual speed reduction. Front/both for stopping. Front pads wear out first but I normally replace both together because if I'm going to faff around I may as well kill two birds with one stone.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Ride only on the flat?
Go slowly?

Yes to one/both of the above and the rear is fine on it's own.

Me? I live in the hills and the front stops me much faster than the rear, as a result I wear the front pads more heavily than the rear.

As has been said above , the majority of the braking is done with the front brake . The weight transfer places more weight onto the front wheel under braking and lessens that on the rear wheel. The rear brake acts more as a steadying influence .

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
If you brace against the handlebars you won't go over them unless you are doing extreme braking. You can shift your weight back behind the saddle to help if you are bombing down alpine descents or something.

Top Bottom