Front brakes , what are they good for ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have one of these attached to the rear of my Brompton, excellent stopping power in case of emergency 496836

pawl

Legendary Member
If memory serves me correctly some motor bikes had a linked system that applied the front brake before the rear.i never had m/b with this system.I was taught to apply the front brake before the rear.Carried this over to cycling when needing to brake hard.

Front brakes , what are they good for ?

STOPPING!

FWIW, Like a lot of people I use the back break for control but the front brake follows up for actually stopping. More and more however, the front is doing the majority (control and stopping) for me and the rear only comes on when its an emergency stop.

Last edited:

Mark pallister

Stopping my bike ,I couldn’t manage with just a rear and I’ve got discs

I was pondering the other day that in the last ten years I can't ever think of ever using my front brake, I've never even fitted a new brake pad, my rear brake stops me fine at any speed and if I used a front at any kind of speed I would go head first over the handle bars. The only use for it I can see on a normal commuting or leisure bike is if the rear brake cable snaps, something that has never happened to me. I can't speak for competitive mountain bike or stunt riders because I don't do that.

I have a 6 mile commute once a week along the flat canal towpath and the bike I use has no front brake ( or front mech ) I just don't need them.

Possibly doubling up the cable to the rear brake would give you a safety fall back and eliminate the front brake entirely ?

You are pulling our collective legs, aren't you?

I use the front brake all the time.
Endos only happen under braking if:
Your riding position is very upright.
You don't adjust your weight distribution during heavy braking.
You dont brace against the bars.
You apply the front brake suddenly at full power and dont release power when you feel the tyre breaking away from the road surface.

I have never experienced an endo through braking.
I have slid sideways during rear braking. If you are quick it is recoverable.

Always majority brake with the front brake. If you majority brake with the rear brake, it’s akin to using the handbrake to stop in your car. Fixies / track bikes (on a track ) are the exception to the rule.

12boy

Guru
Have you ever pulled a wheel and forgot to return the brake release to the tight position and discovered this when going downhill at 30 mph? Good to have 2 brakes. The muscle memory I've developed over the years puts my hands on the brake levers immediately when a potential threat is sensed and a panic stop is best achieved with two brakes in my opinion. I may have become the kind of old guy that wears both a belt and suspenders in terms of braking but the only time I haven't had a rear brake is when riding fixed. The second brake doesn't add much in terms of weight or complexity, so why not?

Top Bottom