Front brakes , what are they good for ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think the going over the handlebars when applying the front brake means that you have left the braking too late.
I did it back in the early 70's. Slammed on both brakes and over I went still in my rat traps. Ended up with a buckled rear wheel .

Reactions: mjr

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Look at modern sport motorcycles, 2 huge disc as the front, one tiny one at the back. That’s about all you need to know to answer the question. Watch moto gp or similar, under hard breaking the rear wheel is barely in contact with the road.

CXRAndy

Guru
If memory serves me correctly some motor bikes had a linked system that applied the front brake before the rear.i never had m/b with this system.I was taught to apply the front brake before the rear.Carried this over to cycling when needing to brake hard.

My Yamaha has linked brakes, 2 pots out of 6 are used when trail braking

Honda Goldwing link one caliper on the front to the rear brake system.

In fact I would expect many motorcycles to have linked brakes with abs. Both my motorcycles have linked ABS systems

CXRAndy

Guru
I have the stopping distance of an oil tanker and do a lot of hilly rides. Halving my number of brakes is not a sane option.

I upgraded from hydraulic Shimano discs calipers to Hope RX4 calipers. 4 pots per caliper and larger pads.

Ajax Bay

Guru
OP did say he uses canal paths, not the road. But if at any point he has to use the road then the law comes into effect.
I was going to invoke the wrath of the 'law' but then couldn't find the relevant regulation which (may or may not) require two brakes. I expect @mjr will be able to oblige/elaborate.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I was going to invoke the wrath of the 'law' but then couldn't find the relevant regulation which (may or may not) require two brakes. I expect @mjr will be able to oblige/elaborate.
Regulations 7-10 of http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1983/1176/made which I found cited in Appendix A of the Highway Code.

Various exceptions exist but I think it's simplest to have front and back brakes to remove all doubt and reduce risk of delay if you meet police who don't know the exceptions.

mjr

Another thing not mentioned is the rear wheel, especially rims but even discs, normally picks up more shoot than the front (compare crud accumulation in rear stays with crud on front forks), so it wears the braking surfaces and pads faster in the same effort.

Personally, my main uses of rear brake are slowing down gently downhill and doing hill starts.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Lunchtime google to the rescue :smile:

Pedal Cycle Construction and Use Regulations 1983
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1983/1176/pdfs/uksi_19831176_en.pdf

I think this says basically if it's a fixie you need a front brake. If it isn't, you need a front and a rear brake. But I'm not fluent in legalese so I could be wrong.
1576672383084.png

Edit. Nuts. I wasn't quick enough.

Johnno260

Veteran
If you take the bike on the roads then it's a legal requirement I believe, I know the OP said it's mainly off road but if you use it on the road then it needs to be legal.

If you feel the brake is too strong, then I would suggest taking it to a local bike shop for a brake service.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
If you take the bike on the roads then it's a legal requirement I believe, I know the OP said it's mainly off road but if you use it on the road then it needs to be legal.

If you feel the brake is too strong, then I would suggest taking it to a local bike shop for a brake service.
Or just learn how to apply brakes.:wacko:

mjr

Remember that "on the roads" in law includes most untarmacked roads, often confusingly called "off-road". Some canal towpaths (as mentioned in post #1) are one of the few exceptions and I have none near me so I don't know the Canals and Rivers Trust rules on cycle construction.

Eta: agree on brake service and use.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
But it would appear that you don't need any brakes at all if you are riding a unicycle or a penny farthing where the pedals drive the wheel directly.
1576674293674.png

And if you are a temporary visitor from abroad you are subject to the International Convention on Road Traffic, Geneva 1949 which means you only need one brake, but it has to be an efficient one. But you must have a bell.
1576674759497.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom