Front derailleur fun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lochen

What fun that was!
My chain was slightly rubbing at one extreme of the gear set (I can't remember which end, I think the very lowest).
So I looked on you tube for how to adjust it.
Hours of absolute joyful entertainment :wacko:

And it still rubs.......I have though, managed to get the set i use most, running quietly through the range.

LBS next week :rolleyes:

pawl

Legendary Member
What fun that was!
My chain was slightly rubbing at one extreme of the gear set (I can't remember which end, I think the very lowest).
So I looked on you tube for how to adjust it.
Hours of absolute joyful entertainment :wacko:

And it still rubs.......I have though, managed to get the set i use most, running quietly through the range.

LBS next week :rolleyes:[/QUOT

Are you cross chaining.Big front big on the cassette or small ring small on cassette.

OP
OP
L

Lochen

Small ring on the front, big ring on the rear. Set the frame side (L) travel limiter and so on.....
Just watched another video. Apparently, noise at the lowest gear is 'just shimano'?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Small ring on the front, big ring on the rear. Set the frame side (L) travel limiter and so on.....
Just watched another video. Apparently, noise at the lowest gear is 'just shimano'?
Unless your cross chaining ie big big or small small you shoulnt get chain rub

winjim

Smash the cistern
You should be able to cross chain without chain rub. I think if you have ridiculously short chainstays you might have a problem but that's not the case on most road bikes.

ryan_w

I have NEVER had a bike run smooth in every gear, mechanical or electric. Even with auto trim on my DA Di2, 53/11T will still rub (just).

You will always get some rub with cross chaining, it's the bikes way of telling you you're using it wrong!...

spiderman2

Über Member
I have NEVER had a bike run smooth in every gear, mechanical or electric. Even with auto trim on my DA Di2, 53/11T will still rub (just).

You will always get some rub with cross chaining, it's the bikes way of telling you you're using it wrong!...

I was wondering if Di2 was perfect in every gear? you have just answered a question Ive always had

OP
OP
L

Lochen

I've just educated myself around cross chaining. I feel better now :okay:

Thanks chaps

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think sram is the only one i have heard of that has a front mech that is designed to be used in "cross chaining " and not rub , could be marketing hype ?

winjim

Smash the cistern
No chain rub on my 9sp Sora. No chain rub on my 9sp Xenon/Veloce. No chain rub on my 11sp Chorus.

Chain rub on the front mech is not the reason that cross chaining is discouraged.

Top Bottom