Front Derailleur Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kashegan

Regular
I have a Shimano 105 groupset and no matter how I adjust the front derailleur the chain still catches on the guard when in the smallest gear and on both big and small ring. If I manage to adjust it to stop the catching I lose the ability to choose the highest gear. It's almost as if there is not enough range in the cage width. Any suggestions, please?

pawl

Legendary Member
I have a Shimano 105 groupset and no matter how I adjust the front derailleur the chain still catches on the guard when in the smallest gear and on both big and small ring. If I manage to adjust it to stop the catching I lose the ability to choose the highest gear. It's almost as if there is not enough range in the cage width. Any suggestions, please?

Small rear Small front not recommended On the outer ring have you tried adjusting the outer limit screw?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They will. Just avoid that combination.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have found 105 tricky to set up, but once you are there it runs like a dream. Even harder with a triple.

Start again: Set your outer and limit screws properly. Go to YouTube or google for help on this. Then set your tension.

You SHOULDN'T be getting any rub when on the largest CR and smallest rear cog. And you shouldn’t get this on the smallest CR and largest rear cog. In the opposite vein, it’s obvious you will, but best practice says you shouldn’t be running these combinations in the extreme anyway.

It is also possible the front derailleur is bolted on the skew. Realign if so.

Top Bottom