Front Derailleur jumping from largest to smallest cog on triple chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisPAmbulance

Hi All,

I am riding a Ridgeback Voyage which has a triple chainset at the front. As part of a recent service at an LBS, they changed the cable which had become frayed.

Unfortunately, as a result of this, they have introduced a fault whereby changing down from the largest ring, it jumps directly to the smallest ring, missing the middle one entirely and leaving my legs going round at hyper speed. I've also noticed that the indicator on the changer only moves half way across when it used to go all the way.

If I can't sort this quickly, then it will be going back to the LBS, but as I do a lot of travelling for business, this is not that straightforward, if anyone can suggest anything simple I can look at in the meantime which might fix it, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers all.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Too much tension on the cable?

CXRAndy

Guru
Generally you put the front derailleur on the granny ring, with shifter. loosen the cable grip and with pliers pull the cable so its taught. You dont need to have so much tension that the derailleur moves, just tight.

Check operation on all rings, like someone said, see if derailleur is central on the middle ring, adjust with barrel.

mechanical triples can be a tad awkward to fettle, even though it was working fine with a worn cable. Patience is the key to getting it just right

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Do you manage to select the 2 other rings separately when moving back up from the granny ring, i.e can you go small ring - middle ring - big ring with 2 separate clicks? If not and it is actually going straight from small to big then the 'cable too tight' diagnosis would be a good start. I would be on the phone to the bike shop asking for a refund of labour if this is the case (a cable costs about £2)!!!

Top Bottom