front derailleur ( Ultegra )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
IMG_1043.JPG
The front derailleur on my giant trinity had started to rub on the big ring slightly . I took the bike into my giant shop and they sorted the problem but on my next ride it started doing it again after about a mile .
The shop has said the plate is slightly bent and they will replace it under warranty without batting an eyelid .
I have a race on Wednesday evening and wondered if i could just move the derailleur up on the fixing plate so i can at least use the bike until the replacement part has arrived .

S-Express

Of course you can move the mech up, but you will need to re-adjust cable tension after...

I see a big gap there where there's supposed to be none. Between chainring and crank spider. Are you sure it is not just a loose bolt that's causing the chainring to run out?

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I see a big gap there where there's supposed to be none. Between chainring and crank spider. Are you sure it is not just a loose bolt that's causing the chainring to run out?
I don't know as i don't touch these things :thumbsdown: I change wheels and pad stack etc but other than that i take it to the bike shop and point at what i want doing .
Theres no disagreement between us and i have a very good relationship with the shop so no problem there , ive even offered to buy new stuff just to get the bike working and sort out the warranty stuff later . I just want the bike working .

I don't know as i don't touch these things :thumbsdown: I change wheels and pad stack etc but other than that i take it to the bike shop and point at what i want doing .
Theres no disagreement between us and i have a very good relationship with the shop so no problem there , ive even offered to buy new stuff just to get the bike working and sort out the warranty stuff later . I just want the bike working .

There's no need to handicap yourself in life like that. You said you wanted to use the bike until Wednesday. All it takes is a wiggle with the finger, compare it to the other gaps and perhaps a turn with an allen key.

I don't understand this new manly thing if not even attempting to solve a minor mechanical problem.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive wiggled and nothing moves . Its also not a manly thing its a 43 year old thing . If i touch anything mechanical it will never work again EVER .

Ive wiggled and nothing moves . Its also not a manly thing its a 43 year old thing . If i touch anything mechanical it will never work again EVER .

Like I said, you handicap yourself unnecessarily. There is no need to be so helpless.
Compare the gap (if you can see which one I'm talking about with the other similar ones. Are they different?

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
That gap is very small and doesn't look out of place .

Ajax Bay

Guru
wondered if i could just move the derailleur up on the fixing plate
If i touch anything mechanical it will never work again EVER
That gap is very small and doesn't look out of place .
If you are prepared to move the derailleur up (and adjust the cable length (NB to keep the tension the same)) then checking that all your chainring bolts are tight would/will be child's play. Or maybe your plan is to ask the bike shop to do that.
And at least two people think that gap looks out of place (and take to time to point it out), but will bow to your greater expertise and hubris..

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
If you are prepared to move the derailleur up (and adjust the cable length (NB to keep the tension the same)) then checking that all your chainring bolts are tight would/will be child's play. Or maybe your plan is to ask the bike shop to do that.
And at least two people think that gap looks out of place (and take to time to point it out), but will bow to your greater expertise and hubris..
I was asked to look at the gap and compare it with the others . I compared it with the ones on this bike and the same crank on my road bike and replied . :huh:

Top Bottom