Front drop out shape not accommodating hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's the focus feature - I'll have another go dreckly

OK, also better light if you can. That would help.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
In what respect? (Sorry for being a donut). I know sometimes a gentle flex is required (which is then eased when wheel in dropouts) put its not quite sitting completely flush in the hole as it were. Can be tightened but isn't 100% to my mind

Ahhhhhhhhh...sorry, no it was me being the donut :blush:
I was looking at the pics wrong.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
So issue is more the shape of the drop out (moreseo one than other) not quite allowing entry from above when upside down. It accommodates is with a little flex of the fork bypassing the narrow top opening but doesn't sit completely level/flush but a little filing could achieve this I think.
Looks quite normal for summat slapped together in the far east, bet it's been like that from new.

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Ok, brought the bike inside for pics and can confirm the following:
The issue is not with the width or asymmetry of dropouts etc it's purely with the opening of the dropouts being almost slightly hooked at the front thus not allowing the hub to drop directly in. Gently prising the fork apart and sliding the wheels in directly rather than through the top has the wheel sitting perfectly securely and perfectly normally. Same when taking the wheel out forks slightly prised to the side, wheel out and then they flex back. I suppose one option would just be to file and mm perhaps of the hook which is blocking the wheel dropping directly in or most likely just carry on and get on with it and leave it as it is

Attachments

• IMG_20190221_082810.jpg
    IMG_20190221_082810.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20190221_082920.jpg
    IMG_20190221_082920.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190221_082831.jpg
    IMG_20190221_082831.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20190221_082856.jpg
    IMG_20190221_082856.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 21
That dropout almost certainly received a bash from the front. I would suggest careful filing to open it up again, rather than attempting to bend it open. @mickle 's wisdom trumps all speculation.

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
That dropout almost certainly received a bash from the front. I would suggest careful filing to open it up again, rather than attempting to bend it open. @mickle 's wisdom trumps all speculation.
Thanks for comment, much appreciated. Or leaving it and just sliding the wheel in/out as I did in the pics? Cheers

As Yellow Saddle said it looks as though it has received a bash of some kind. It looks as though the forks have landed heavily after the wheel was removed. Someone has probably dropped it !
I don't see why you couldn't just ease the gap out with a gentle bit of filing.

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
As Yellow Saddle said it looks as though it has received a bash of some kind. It looks as though the forks have landed heavily after the wheel was removed. Someone has probably dropped it !
I don't see why you couldn't just ease the gap out with a gentle bit of filing.
Yes, makes sense and I'd think that's the case too - will try gently filing as suggested. Many thanks all

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
It looks as though that it is just the tip which is the main culprit for not allowing the axle to fit .
Yes it is exactly that, the wheel sits perfectly/normally in the drop out when the opening is bypassed as it were so a gentle file of the tip (sounds sore) to ensure access?

Top Bottom