Front light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
.... you need to use it on a headband with it pointing 45 degrees down ....
If that is true then you are what, maybe 5ft tall when sat on a bike, so will be casting a patch of blindingly intense light reaching about 10ft in front of you and will be unable to define much in the darkness beyond. Not how I would choose to ride a bike at more than a brisk walking pace! I doubt you are really being so considerate.
i use mine everyday ...... no-one has complained and I'm using it for the 2nd year
How could they? They will be far too busy trying to see where the road goes and making sure they don't hit anything because all they can see is the floodlight that some selfish git is shining straight in their eyes. I have been on the receiving end of this and even at cycling speeds on a street lit road it quickly goes from 'that is a bright light' to 'wow, that really is too powerful' to 'shoot that hurts, where has the kerb gone, are there any parked cars in front of me?'
Trust me, while you may be able to see perfectly with your cheap super light, everyone that you meet is being temporarily blinded and will not be able to see properly for a significant length of time after you have passed! How are they supposed to complain when they can't see and you are gone?

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I would go back to Halfords without the receipt.they may have a record of it.Certainly worth a try.

This I will try it's worth a shot even if they say get lost.

Yes I admit that's a problem with the old ones but I just got into avrecharging pattern and I usually like to have 2 light both back and front.
Yes, i always use my ver 1 with a second light, and just hope that it doesn't cut on a tricky downhill :smile: great minds think alike - yes i always use 2 back lights as well unless it's just an uber quick pop to the shops.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
So the cutting-out on the Hope 1 isn't just a fault in my one, it's a common thing? My 'fix' has always been to turn it down to the single-press strength setting. Hmmm, at least I know now. ^_^

Another happy Hope Vision 1 user here.

Not sure how long the batteries last. I've never had to change the batteries mid ride, even on winter rides that start and finish in the dark and are gloomy between times, or on night rides.

If you have bikes with different sized handlebars, don't lose the fiddly little rubber thingies that are used to adapt for narrow bars.
Yes, i can get through a full overnight dunwich dynamo on one set of batteries, and you don't need full power all the time. Those rubber things really are a lash-up :smile: come on hope, sort the mount - something that allows easy bike swapping.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So the cutting-out on the Hope 1 isn't just a fault in my one, it's a common thing? My 'fix' has always been to turn it down to the single-press strength setting. Hmmm, at least I know now. ^_^

Yep, Version 1 of the 1 cut's out. Version 2 of the 1 goes into flash mode when batteries are low.

Sorry to be a bore richk - what sort of batteries does that use? Good that you can get reasonably priced separate mounts.

ta for reply - have there been some questions about that unit's reliability/build quality?

I may have imagined it/got confused with something else.

Ajax Bay

Guru
i use mine [Super Bright 32000LM CREE T6 LED Mountain Bike Light] everyday .... you need to use it on a headband with it pointing 45 degrees down .... no-one has complained
@I like Skol has had a go. May I suggest, @dim , that you let a friend shine this towards you, pointing it down a bit, as you cycle, in the dark, towards them. You will then be able to realise what this is like on the receiving end. At 15mph you're doing 7m per second so despite your best intentions (keep it down at 45 degrees ie with centre of beam about one metre in front of your front wheel) this will blind those coming the other way, both cyclists (unsafe for you both but particularly them) and motorists (unsafe for you (and others)). Have a think about it.

I'm afraid at this time of year colder temperatures do effect the way in which batteries perform, they loose their charge far more quickly.
Over my few years of commuting, experience led me to the best front light I have owned and worth every penny.
Yes below 5 degrees Celsius it is also effected by the cold though only requires a charge near the end of the week compared to a normal weeks commuting .

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Over my few years of commuting, experience led me to the best front light I have owned and worth every penny. Yes below 5 degrees Celsius it is also effected by the cold though only requires a charge near the end of the week compared to a normal weeks commuting .
WOW!! At MSP £269.95 (£199.95) that is one hell of an investment; not that I'm against paying for quality mind you, and you would probably break even on batteries over time. I take it the build quality and reliability are second to none? ^_^

Top Bottom