Front light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I bought my Hope 1 (old version) years ago on the advice of this forum and it's still going strong. (Blue one of course;)). In some ways I'm surprise it is still as expensive as that... I'm sure it every now and again it's on offer.

dim

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Bri...204398?hash=item33c38e236e:g:EM4AAOSwImRYNe56

£22 .... I use mine with the headband

s-l1600.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I seem to destroy these things!

I invested in a Lezyne Macro drive 800XL a few months back but the battery seems knackered already, it's barely holding a charge for a 1hr ride before needing a charge.

I have lost the receipt as well so doubt I can get a refund from Halfords, I have turned the house upside down looking.

What other lights can people recommend in the same sort of price bracket? I am mainly on back roads and poorly lighted areas so being seen and seeing whats a head is a plus.

Did you reserve the light on click n collect? If so Halfords might take the email as proof of purchase (or be able to trace it back from it).
Or did Halfords email you a copy of the receipt - this is something they seem to do regularly now most items.

There is some handy advice here: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-get-a-faulty-product-replaced-or-repaired

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Did you reserve the light on click n collect? If so Halfords might take the email as proof of purchase (or be able to trace it back from it).
Or did Halfords email you a copy of the receipt - this is something they seem to do regularly now most items.

There is some handy advice here: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-get-a-faulty-product-replaced-or-repaired

I checked my emails I can see other items just not the light which is very strange.

Cheers for the other link as well.

Hope Vision 1

Takes 4 AA batteries in a pack. So you can carry spares if they run out. (they are held in a case which you can just pop into the light)
A set of rechargeable AA's lasts me the weeks commute.

Uber reliable light made by a decent British company who's customer service is second to none.
+1
And I'd buy one quick.
It's surely going to be discontinued, as:

@ It's very good.
@ It's very keenly priced for what it is
@ Its design is resolutely unfashionabe
@ It doesn't have built in batteries, so it will most likely last forever, or as long as you need it/cycle
@ It's got a lot of metal in it
@ You can't fit it up your anus - unless you are somewhat determined/into that sort of thing
@ It comes in different colours
@ It uses "normal" standard batteries that will doubtless get better/cheaper as you keep the light
@ It won't end up as land fill
@ It reminds folk of good solid British stuff that was actually quite good - telephone boxes/post boxes - none of that tin crap
@ You will be spared the social angst of having to impress folk next year/the year after that/and that with your new light.

mind you, the clamping/bike swapping system could be improved :smile:

I bought my Hope 1 (old version) years ago on the advice of this forum and it's still going strong. (Blue one of course;)). In some ways I'm surprise it is still as expensive as that... I'm sure it every now and again it's on offer.
I'd get a version 2 though - version 1, though great, was maybe a bit too old fashioned/flying by the seat of your pants/macho - what with the notorious sudden light shut off when it decided "fark this for a game of soldiers"
My first was blue, would have stuck with that nice colour if didn't need to avoid confusion - so latest is black.
By the by, does anyone reckon there will be a version 3 from the Barlick metal turning elves?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'd get a version 2 though - version 1, though great, was maybe a bit too old fashioned/flying by the seat of your pants/macho - what with the notorious sudden light shut off when it decided "fark this for a game of soldiers"
My first was blue, would have stuck with that nice colour if didn't need to avoid confusion - so latest is black.
By the by, does anyone reckon there will be a version 3 from the Barlick metal turning elves?
Yes I admit that's a problem with the old ones but I just got into avrecharging pattern and I usually like to have 2 light both back and front.

Do Busch + Muller still make the Ixon IQ ? I've been using one for 1-2 hours a day 5 days a week for the past 6 winters and it's still going strong. Like the Hope it uses standard AA batteries, I think I'm on my 4th set. One charge keeps me going all week on the lower of the 2 brightness settings.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

dim

NO, just NO! If you use that on the road then you are a complete ignorant nobber. It is only suitable for off-road and is far too bright and unfocused for highway use. Even my solar storm x2 is for off-road only.

i use mine everyday .... you need to use it on a headband with it pointing 45 degrees down .... no-one has complained and I'm using it for the 2nd year

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Another happy Hope Vision 1 user here.

Not sure how long the batteries last. I've never had to change the batteries mid ride, even on winter rides that start and finish in the dark and are gloomy between times, or on night rides.

If you have bikes with different sized handlebars, don't lose the fiddly little rubber thingies that are used to adapt for narrow bars.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I have a couple of sets of these,
macro.jpg

Lezyne macro front and micro rear. On tests the front lasted for 4.5 hours going between the full power 400 lumen to the low 100 lumen depending on urban or country road riding. The rear will well outlast that. The mount is the simplest I've seen for transfering between bikes.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I buy cheap AA/AAA batteries in bulk and keep a couple in the saddle bag with the puncture repair kit. It seems waterproof....

I'm looking at upgrading to a rechargeable light at some point however the batteries tend to last quite a while in my light at the moment.

GOAB
You could just buy some recharchable AA or AAA with a charger from tescos for about a tenner.

Top Bottom