Front light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I seem to destroy these things!

I invested in a Lezyne Macro drive 800XL a few months back but the battery seems knackered already, it's barely holding a charge for a 1hr ride before needing a charge.

I have lost the receipt as well so doubt I can get a refund from Halfords, I have turned the house upside down looking.

What other lights can people recommend in the same sort of price bracket? I am mainly on back roads and poorly lighted areas so being seen and seeing whats a head is a plus.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hope Vision 1

Takes 4 AA batteries in a pack. So you can carry spares if they run out. (they are held in a case which you can just pop into the light)
A set of rechargeable AA's lasts me the weeks commute.

Uber reliable light made by a decent British company who's customer service is second to none.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Anything that takes removable, rechargeable batteries is still 'light' years ahead of any light that has built in batteries IMO. Being able to swap batteries in an emergency is critical and AA/AAA batteries will always be available for ever so the light has an indefinite life, not one dictated by the life of the battery!

yea I am getting that impression now, I have a little Lezyne I bought from here and it's great for a helmet mounted light, it's rechargeable but the battery comes out and I have a spare.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
A very good choice (say's me having the same colour)

It's going to be another expensive month as I am looking for a saddle replacement as well, the standard Merida saddle and I aren't getting on, for 1hr rides it's fine, 2hrs + not great, oh well! lol

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Lezyne Macro drive 800XL is £55. B+M IXON IQ Premium (says it takes conventional batteries, but I don't know what size - I suspect AA from the 2100mAh comment) and Axa Greenline 50 (USB charging of a built-in batter) are currently available for about that price from Bike-Discount and are legally sufficient, which most aren't.

But for about that price, you could break free from batteries and get a starter dynamo set.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Being the hypocrite I am and spurred on by this thread, I pootled off to look for some occasional use lights to go on my best road bike for the odd time I might use it in poor light conditions or an evening ride where I may be out at dusk.
Found these USB chargeable items at a giveaway price.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezyne-ktv-drive-front-light/rp-prod122409
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezyne-ktv-drive-rear-light/rp-prod122410
£7.50 for the pair when bought Individually which is £1.50 less than buying the set!
Reviews are very positive and even if they don't last forever they are very cheap so not a big loss.
I have upgraded the front light to the more powerful Pro version - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezyne-ktv-drive-pro-front-light/rp-prod122416
It is more expensive but brighter and will sit better on the bars because the cables run along the front. This also gets me over the £9 free delivery hurdle....

They look really small so can always be thrown in a pocket, just in case, and will save me having to mess about swapping my proper lights and brackets off my commuter.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I buy cheap AA/AAA batteries in bulk and keep a couple in the saddle bag with the puncture repair kit. It seems waterproof....

I'm looking at upgrading to a rechargeable light at some point however the batteries tend to last quite a while in my light at the moment.

GOAB

Top Bottom