Front light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm afraid at this time of year colder temperatures do effect the way in which batteries perform, they loose their charge far more quickly.

Not just for lights, but for Garmins also.
My Edge 200 used to last all weeks commute and more. I'm having to recharge it on a Thursday.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Not just for lights, but for Garmins also.
My Edge 200 used to last all weeks commute and more. I'm having to recharge it on a Thursday.

I am noticing my Edge 520 is getting hammered as well.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
WOW!! At MSP £269.95 (£199.95) that is one hell of an investment; not that I'm against paying for quality mind you, and you would probably break even on batteries over time. I take it the build quality and reliability are second to none? ^_^
:eek: A good starter hub dynamo setup, which is relatively unaffected by the cold, is about a third of that price, which must make it a bargain. I disagree with the cheap Chinese dazzlers but I can understand that they're cheap and that will attract some people, but what's the point of expensive substandard lights? If you've got that sort of money, you might as well go legal.

You think that exposure light is substandard mjr?

Honest question.

Fair point about the dynamo option. And of course you get a round wheel thing as well. For less.

I think you've sold me - on batteries I won't go beyond Hope 1 ( i would buy a version 3) and then it will be a dynamo hub. Probably shimano.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I did consider a dynamo, but I was put off by the price, and the idea of having to do what seemed to be a really fiddly installation. I have a box full of rechargeable batteries ready to go at all times, so batteries aren't an issue - and I use AA powered GPSs as well, so I decided against it in the end.

Also, bear in mind if you buy anything expensive that charges from a (hideous, flimsy) micro USB port that it has a very vulnerable weakness.

mjr

You think that exposure light is substandard mjr?
Yes. It seems to meet no standard. Reviews suggest it has a round O beam shape which will put too much light close to the bike - and in oncoming road users' eyes unless you aim it very low. It might be OK for off-road MTB or something.

I did consider a dynamo, but I was put off by the price, and the idea of having to do what seemed to be a really fiddly installation.
Do you mean putting a wheel in? Other than that, it's a matter of attaching the light brackets (that has to be done with almost all lights except little rubber band ones) and plugging the wires in (which has to be done with lights that have external battery packs). The only fiddle that I can think of is that the plug tends to come with the dynamo and you're left to attach the plug to the headlight wire, but that's all push-fit stuff. Oh and maybe that you have to make a little coil in the wire where it starts its journey to the back light, else it might unplug itself when you turn sharply... but again, some battery pack lights share that.

Tim Hall

I did consider a dynamo, but I was put off by the price, and the idea of having to do what seemed to be a really fiddly installation.

Adding to mjr's point, I find my dynamo equipped bikes hassle free. It's a one time set up, a bit of cable faffage (just the once) and then just forget about it. I got a Shimano hub dynamo from Big Al for <can't remember how much, fairly reasonable> some time ago. The light is from B&M, securely bolted to a brake crown bracket. It Just Works.

(My battery light equipped bikes are similarly hassle free. I just have to remember to charge the batteries when the light (B&M again) starts giving a warning.)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
OK fair enough. Maybe I overestimated the fiddle and faff with cables and ewoks and stuff.

I still decided against it, because my system (of always having a load of charged AAs and AAAs to hand) ain't broke. Certainly isn't broke to the cost of a couple of hundred quid to have a wheel built with a dynohub. When I'm commuting I use cheap USB charged (spit) lights that go on to charge on my desk.

Last edited:

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
TBH I've always fancied a hub dynamo set-up, but just never got around saving up / sorting it out (not something I could build or fit myself). Are they reliable? Presumably they have a long shelf life - years and years?

Certainly isn't broke to the cost of a couple of hundred quid to have a wheel built with a dynohub. .

You certainly don't have to pay anywhere near that with Rose. .

I thought you could just buy a front of them.Maybe you can but I can't fiddle round their web site properly.

Price in euros - for TWO wheels - front and back.

https://www.rosebikes.com/article/r...re-xt-780dh-3n80-trekking-wheelset/aid:248052

Though if (more likely when) I go for a hub dynamo set-up think I'd maybe pay more and go with Spa as Spa will work with a Rigida Sputnik rim - I don't think Rose do.

Spa:

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s170p371/SPA-CYCLES-Shimano-N80-Dynamo-Wheel

Last edited:

mjr

I still decided against it, because my system (of always having a load of charged AAs and AAAs to hand) ain't broke.
Fair enough. I didn't upgrade mine until I had a reason.

Certainly isn't broke to the cost of a couple of hundred quid to have a wheel built with a dynohub.
You don't have to use platinum spokes, you know! My last wheel build (622-18 36h - or it might be 32h - for the Dutchie, so rather more commonplace than some of mine!) was under £40 including rims... or you can buy the dynamo already in a wheel.

When I'm commuting I use cheap USB charged (spit) lights that go on to charge on my desk.
Wow, recharging every day.

TBH I've always fancied a hub dynamo set-up, but just never got around saving up / sorting it out (not something I could build or fit myself). Are they reliable? Presumably they have a long shelf life - years and years?
The Shimano DH-3N72 (I think) on one bike here has been running for two years with minimal maintenance but I fear it may need new bearings soon *gulp*. I'm not sure how old the Sturmey XL-FDD is - can you remind me @amasidlover, please?

The Shimano DH-3N72 (I think) on one bike here has been running for two years with minimal maintenance but I fear it may need new bearings soon *gulp*.

I understand that, with a bit of effort, the Shimano can be self serviced. But not the SON. True?
Personally don't like stuff that can't, as your knowledge and confidence increases, be self serviced with a bit of friendly on line help

I bought the Sturmey XL-FDD in 2011... It had done about 9,000km when I sent it to you and the bearings etc. still felt perfect; unlike the PD-8 I replaced it with to use with Carbon forks which is now desperate for a bearing change at 14,000km (but its looking like it will be about $30 to do, so not awful...)

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom