Front lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I am looking to change my torch light to a proper bike light.
I am looking for something with a decent level of brightness, 4 hours run time and under £100.
I am sure I have seen someone with a dual led light where one could be on and the other flashing. Does anyone know what this could have been.

Thanks

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Flashing is improper work of the devil, so no. :smile:

B&M Cyo, Axa Greenline, Cateye GVolt, to name three battery options. More are available for dynamos.

davidphilips

Veteran
posted this on another thread but they seem a great deal in halfords i have 2 of the back lights already and they are really bright, i just ordered a set will collect later today.
also theres no harm in an extra back light one on steady and the other flashing.
Lezyne Micro Drive Bike Light Set - Black
£43.49

SAVE £31.50
RRP £74.99 *

Attachments

• Hydrangeas.jpg
    Hydrangeas.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 51

Brand X

I've got the Lezyne 350xl. It will only run for an hour on maximum brightness (but that is VERY bright) but it'll run for several hours on medium. The only thing I don't like is how stiff the button is. What were they thinking? The on/off/select button is hard to push and I can't see any reason for it.

simongt

Guru
On the matter of front lights, a point that intruges me is the number of cyclists who only have a rear lamp fitted when cycling at night. Yes, motorists can see you from behind, even though they have headlights. But my take is that a good front lamp is more important because when coming up to junctions / side roads / roundabouts etc., then motorists can see you approaching from such angles that their own lights can't pick you out.
It was just within living memory when the government of the day made rear lamps on cycles compulsory and no less that the CTC railed against it arguing that the onus was then put on the cyclist to be seen rather than the motorist to see the cyclist. Front lamps were of course virtually universal in those days of less reliable street lighting.
So what's your take on this - ?

davidphilips

Veteran
On the matter of front lights, a point that intruges me is the number of cyclists who only have a rear lamp fitted when cycling at night. Yes, motorists can see you from behind, even though they have headlights. But my take is that a good front lamp is more important because when coming up to junctions / side roads / roundabouts etc., then motorists can see you approaching from such angles that their own lights can't pick you out.
It was just within living memory when the government of the day made rear lamps on cycles compulsory and no less that the CTC railed against it arguing that the onus was then put on the cyclist to be seen rather than the motorist to see the cyclist. Front lamps were of course virtually universal in those days of less reliable street lighting.
So what's your take on this - ?

my take simongt is drivers should drive carefully and even if there was a stationery object on the road (like a parked motorcycle) they should not drive into it , having said that as a cyclist i have to make myself as easy to be seen as possible in poor lighting conditions due to the number of careless drivers about, a good set of lights may seem expensive but in my view well worth the cost.

when i see a cyclist out in the dark with a cheap/poor set of lights i really hope they are ok, i have had so many scares on a bike at night i would not cycle in the dark without 2 sets of reasonable lights now.

there was a cyclist killed on a well light road a few weeks ago very close to where i live at 5.50am, the lezyne light may not be the best of the best but they are very bright and i know if i have 2 rear on, one flashing and one steady they are not easy to miss i have even been told by friends that they are to bright, brighter than car fog lights and i notice that the brighter the rear lights the further away drivers seem to stay, only my view/take.

also check out the light output of some rear lights some are 5 lumens and others up to 100 me i would like some bright ones for the dark low out put may be ok for day time but thats another talking point, safe cycling, ttfn.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But my take is that a good front lamp is more important because when coming up to junctions / side roads / roundabouts etc., then motorists can see you approaching from such angles that their own lights can't pick you out.
And it needs to be a good front light to help then. Not just one that shines only forwards and casts no light to the sides.

But in general, motorists should not strike unlit objects.

simongt

Guru
Only this evening, I passed the scene of an accident. Apparently a cyclist had collided with a pedestrian on a unlit rural shared cyclepath walkway. According to an attendant cyclist the rider involved had a good front light, but then, the occasional pedestrian I see on said path is usually wearing dark clothes and rarely carries any form of illumination. But then was the rider momentarily distracted, did the pedestrian waver into the path of the cyclist - ? Many possibilities before apportioning blame.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
two lezyne micros on the front, one flashing...sometimes both on solid.

one on the rear...on pulse, solid or flash, depends how I feel.
I cant deal with the symmetry thing of only one front light, winds me up.

dim

two lezyne micros on the front, one flashing...sometimes both on solid.

one on the rear...on pulse, solid or flash, depends how I feel.
I cant deal with the symmetry thing of only one front light, winds me up.

some people on other forums frown about people who use their front lights on flash mode (especially on narrow cycle paths/lanes) .... something to do without being able to see behind the person with the flashing lights.

It never bothers me though when an oncoming cyclist has his front light on flash mode, as I don't look directly at the light

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
some people on other forums frown about people who use their front lights on flash mode (especially on narrow cycle paths/lanes) .... something to do without being able to see behind the person with the flashing lights.

It never bothers me though when an oncoming cyclist has his front light on flash mode, as I don't look directly at the light
yep, I actually agree but my riding is through London. Oh and I'm not sure its flashing but strobe that winds some up.

Although it has to be said the the new Superhighway is problematic with flashing lights ad ninjas, overtaking on it in the dark is a bit tricky as you just cant see the riders coming the other way sometimes

Top Bottom