Front/Rear puncture distributions

What is your personal front/rearpuncture distribution experience on your bikes?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Over the last year I've had two rear wheel flats (both on cheapo unprotected tyres), yet none in the front wheel. That got me thinking about the probability and reason for one tyre puncturing rather than the other. On one hand, there's an argument that the rear wheel carries more load, so will exert more force on sharp objects, pushing them into the tyre harder. But on the other hand, when riding in a straight line, the front wheel should hit any puncture-causing debris first, making it more vulnerable. The front I would expect to be more vulnerable to cyclist-induced flats due to kerbing, potholes etc.
I've therefore put a poll on to find out if my puncture experience is typical, or just bad luck. The poll only allows 10 options, so if you have had 100% front punctures then enter 90% as it's the nearest choice. If you own multiple bikes that have each suffered a puncture, you can give a response for up to 10 bikes.
Question; do you tend to run the same tyres front and rear, or is one end of the bike deliberately fitted with a higher puncture resisting tyre than the other?

What about 100% front?

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What about 100% front?

The Forum software does not allow 11 response options, so 100% Front would have to be recorded as 90% as it's the closest option. I've a feeling 100% Front is an unlikely outcome unless the total number of punctures incurred is very low.

Slick

Guru
I had my cannondale running sweet as in mid December. I probably wouldn't argue if someone said it was all in my head but every run felt fast and I felt like I was finishing strong. I was getting multiple flats on the rear and I couldn't find the cause until eventually I suffered a blowout and replaced with the only tyre I could find as I was hundreds of miles from home. I mistakenly fitted a marathon plus to the rear and now it feels like a tractor although the possibility of picking up another rear wheel puncture any time soon have been greatly reduced.

Not because the tyre is any good but because it's been hanging in my garage unused ever since.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Over how long a period? Last 20 years, last 10, last 5, last 2 ?

I had my cannondale running sweet as in mid December. I probably wouldn't argue if someone said it was all in my head but every run felt fast and I felt like I was finishing strong. I was getting multiple flats on the rear and I couldn't find the cause until eventually I suffered a blowout and replaced with the only tyre I could find as I was hundreds of miles from home. I mistakenly fitted a marathon plus to the rear and now it feels like a tractor although the possibility of picking up another rear wheel puncture any time soon have been greatly reduced.

Not because the tyre is any good but because it's been hanging in my garage unused ever since.
similarly, about 2 years ago SWMBO's commuter carrera hybrid jobbie got 3 punctures in a month on the front (I checked for problems, honestly); I bought her a marathon+ and no more punctures, cos I built her a lighter bike and she retired so hasn't ridden it since!

lane

Veteran
My memory isnt good enough. None yet this year and in the previous two I think I had two but cant remember which wheel.

Top Bottom