Front/Rear puncture distributions

What is your personal front/rearpuncture distribution experience on your bikes?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
I have thought a bit more about this and I remember the last one was on the front and I thnk the previous one was back so have votes 50/50. Cant remember what happened more than two years ago!

Adam4868

Guru
I find its weather dependant,when its freezing and pissing it down its allways the rear !

lane

Veteran
Last two years only punctures I have had have been in heavy rain so must be a factor. Although also been put ut all day in heavy rain and not had a puncture.

0% front 0% rear.

F663938F-1145-4CCD-9516-8B867147E599.jpeg

davidphilips

Veteran
About %70 rear punctures for me but i seem to be lucky in that most of them seem to wait until i arrive home and have cleaned the bike, Always less stressful at home as no one waiting on me and rather than just fit a new tube i can repair the tube and refit.

Alan O

Über Member
Vast majority of punctures have been rear for me, and I've estimated 90%.

I use the same tyres on front and rear wheels, with one exception last year when a glass puncture damaged a Gatorskin beyond use. For a little while, before I got round to ordering a new Gatorskin, I used one less resistant tyre which I put on the front - the puncture had been on the rear.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Rear wheels are more prone to punctures on both bikes and cars. Sharp objects like nails and thorns lay flat on the road, the front wheel flips them upright just in time for the rear to arrive and take the full hit through the carcass. And as you say, the extra weight on the back tyre probably helps the offending object to bite in more effectively.
^^^^ What he said.

My most surprising puncture was along these lines. A piece of broken plastic (off a car bumper I think) which shouldn't have been sharp enough to penetrate a decent tyre but flicked up on end by the front and run over by the back it went through all the same. Lost me 15 minutes on my first sportive too. Pah!

^^^^ What he said.

My most surprising puncture was along these lines. A piece of broken plastic (off a car bumper I think) which shouldn't have been sharp enough to penetrate a decent tyre but flicked up on end by the front and run over by the back it went through all the same. Lost me 15 minutes on my first sportive too. Pah!
23hr and 15mins on a 60miler is still ok though.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Over how long a period? Last 20 years, last 10, last 5, last 2 ?

Over any period you can still remember the numbers for. Doesn't matter what sort of tyres, what sort of bike or what it was being used for when it punctured. I just want to get an idea of the distribution. Going way back, IIRC rear ones seemed to be more frequent, but then it might have also been that rear ones were more memorable because of being more inconvenient to fix as I tend to take the wheel off before getting the tube out.

Top Bottom