Front/Rear puncture distributions

What is your personal front/rearpuncture distribution experience on your bikes?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Rear wheels are more prone to punctures on both bikes and cars. Sharp objects like nails and thorns lay flat on the road, the front wheel flips them upright just in time for the rear to arrive and take the full hit through the carcass. And as you say, the extra weight on the back tyre probably helps the offending object to bite in more effectively.
Also, you don't feel the tap tap tap through the handlebars as clearly and can't see the tyre as easily.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You beat the orgsniser who went round the next day to take the signs down.
They don't do that any more because they don't want to give the slowcoaches the satisfaction?

screenman

Legendary Member
From my experience of thousands of club/ group rides I can say the guys who got the most punctures were often the ones who would run on knackered old tyres with very little rubber left on them.

Nebulous

Guru
I don't get many. I once got two at the same time, I never did find out what caused them. A tiny pinprick hole in the front one and I literally felt the air from it hit my face as the front wheel went round. I haven't bought Michelin tyres since.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
So long since I had a puncture I cannot remember what wheel it was on.
Same here. I have had my Boardman hybrid for 4 years now and do 1500 miles a year mainly through the East Bristol suburbs and have not had 1 puncture.

I have used nothing but Vittoria Randonneurs during this time but when the current ones wear out I will be fitting the Kenda Kwests I was given for Christmas so will be interesting to see what happens.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don't get many. I once got two at the same time, I never did find out what caused them. A tiny pinprick hole in the front one and I literally felt the air from it hit my face as the front wheel went round. I haven't bought Michelin tyres since.
It's worse when it's raining and you hear that pftt....pftt...pftt coming off the front tyre, can I make it to shelter before I have to stop and fix it.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
new pothole, two on each :rolleyes:

Top Bottom