Froome and Wiggins TUEs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Well if he doesn't ride then Froome will be referred to as the Kenyan cyclist.

Kernow_T

Über Member
Apparently although there is indeed a prerogative whereby ASO can 'ban' a rider taking part if it damaged the reputation etc of the race, actually, in reality, it's pretty much impossible to enforce without them getting a hiding, especially in this circumstance - ASO shouldn't know about this anyway, and proven repeating drugs cheats have ridden in the TdF post multiple bans.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Brexit innit lol

One way or the other this should have been sorted out before the Giro. To the casual follower it looks terrible

Mr Pro tour Punditry

I obviously bow to your better memory, however, the fact remains that the TdF organisers, for decades, did very little to address the drugs cheats in the nineties , in my opinion. The loss to revenue by excluding the star racers of the day, mostly drug fuelled, was too much to risk.

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
It would appear that the UCI regulation stating "The organiser may refuse permission to participate in – or exclude from – an event, a team or one of its members whose presence might be prejudicial to the image or reputation of the organiser or of the event." is something of a paper tiger.
Genuine question, is that a UCI regulation or an ASO contract clause? Either way, it's wide enough for the lawyers to drive the Sky death star through.
Marc Madiot, FDJ boss quoted here
"It's political, courageous and logical, (But) it does not necessarily mean Froome will not be on the starting line-up. There is a judicial hearing and I trust my Anglo-Saxon friends will organise a strong defence,"
Love it! :laugh:

Top Bottom