Froome and Wiggins TUEs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Siclo

Veteran
so where has this magical figure of 1,429ng/ml come from , if that's the figure then why not say that from the start , if it isn't the figure then stick with the original , I don't understand how someone came up with a "revised "figure

AIUI the rules are about to change take into account the specific gravity of the urine in the sample, in order to allow for dehydration effects on the concentration of the salbutamol in the sample. If you correct Froome's 2000 odd number to allow for the SG of his urine it comes out at 1429, still over 40% over the limit but a damn sight closer to the UCI decision threshold of 1200 (I think, although it might be 1250)

Adam4868

Guru
I hope it's sorted before,but as far as I can see is there any time limit ? What's to stop this dragging on past the Tour.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Was just about to post the same link. I hadn't previously heard of '1500 pages', but there doesn't seem to be anything new otherwise. The comments are predictable.

Elsewhere, the provisional team & rider listings for the Tour de France have been announced, including Froome of course. I wonder what discussions are going on behind closed doors at the ASO.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
On a more practical note and guilty or not, how are they going to ensure Froome's safety? Even with the more 'pragmatic' Giro crowds, there was the giant inhaler and the spitting incident. I'd put the chances of there being a proper nutter at the tour who fancies making the news as quite high. I wonder if the CRS have watched the videos of last year's Vuelta and contacting their cousins in the Guardia Civil for tips?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
We'll have to wait and see, but I wonder if the 1500 pages include proof "... through a controlled pharmacokinetic study, that the abnormal result was the consequence of a therapeutic dose (by inhalation) up to the maximum dose ..." as required by WADA.

Or will it be "we haven't done the PK study that WADA requires, but here's 1500 pages of other stuff".

Last I heard, the route they were going to take was to challenge the credibility of the limit by showing that it was possible to exceed it by taking a legal dose.

I think they quickly realised that the pharmokinetic study route wasn't going to get them anywhere.

Burying the case in paperwork seems like a good wheeze. I suspect Dave Brailsford has been reading Bleak House. Eventually, 50 years from now, Froome's grandchildren will find themselves getting a ban on his behalf when the case is finally resolved.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Last I heard, the route they were going to take was to challenge the credibility of the limit by showing that it was possible to exceed it by taking a legal dose.

I think they quickly realised that the pharmokinetic study route wasn't going to get them anywhere.
Eh, how do you challenge the credibility without doing a pharmocokinetic study? Rely on previous studies I suppose? I've just found one that studied horses!

Am very keen to see if Sky/Froome have an ace up their sleeve, rather than trying to relying on something akin to 'reasonable doubt'.

Meanwhile, are Froome's team still being denied access to his other samples? Surely that's denying Froome access to evidence?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Eh, how do you challenge the credibility without doing a pharmocokinetic study?

Sorry, not being clear...

Originally, the talk was of doing the study on Froome himself, showing that his abnormal physiology and/or dodgy liver, combined with extreme dehydration, was the cause of the excess salbutamol reading.

Now I think they've changed their approach to using existing studies, which use modelling to show that it is possible in hypothetical circumstances to exceed the limit, thereby showing the limit is scientifically unsound.

The difference is that they're using legal chicanery to undermine the testing procedure, rather than using science to prove that Froome is a freak.

Dr Freedman speaks, well writes, thankfully no one stole the laptop he wrote it on

http://road.cc/content/news/243385-team-sky-jiffy-bag-doctor-break-silence-extraordinary-new-book

Former Team Sky and British Cycling doctor Richard Freeman is to break his silence in what its publishers call “an extraordinary new book” on the ‘Jiffy Bag’ affair that led to both being investigated by UK Anti-doping over allegations of wrongdoing.

A week before the Tour starts it comes out. Ethically cynical timing.

hoopdriver

Guru
Dr Freedman speaks, well writes, thankfully no one stole the laptop he wrote it on

http://road.cc/content/news/243385-team-sky-jiffy-bag-doctor-break-silence-extraordinary-new-book

Former Team Sky and British Cycling doctor Richard Freeman is to break his silence in what its publishers call “an extraordinary new book” on the ‘Jiffy Bag’ affair that led to both being investigated by UK Anti-doping over allegations of wrongdoing.

A week before the Tour starts it comes out. Ethically cynical timing.
As you say, just before the Tour. Seeking more of those marginal gains.
Nice that he is healthy now - as I recall he was to Ill to testify

Adam4868

Guru
What's the betting there's nowt new in it and he feels hard done by,not forgetting a bit of money would be nice....Be careful what you say doc they have lawyers !

Top Bottom