Froome and Wiggins TUEs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Crumbs!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Where do I vote?
You're a member of Scottish Cycling, aren't you? It claims to be "the national governing body for cycling in Scotland". Ask them when you get to vote for a UCI president. The answer may be hilarious. Or hilarity. Like the rest of BC, there's only a vestigal democracy left and that's probably part of the reason they're not clamping down on doping - the dopers have more power than the fans.

Like Nicole Cooke writes, the "governance structure at the National Federation – British Cycling - ... is not responsible to anyone other than itself for its own actions. ... [On doping, it's] the wrong people fighting the wrong war, in the wrong way, with the wrong tools. Since both of these require the support and activity of management involved in the governance of sports, at a variety of levels, there are obviously areas of mutual inclusivity in the problematic areas."

It's cracking stuff. I'll read the rest later.

You're a member of Scottish Cycling, aren't you? It claims to be "the national governing body for cycling in Scotland". Ask them when you get to vote for a UCI president. The answer may be hilarious. Or hilarity. Like the rest of BC, there's only a vestigal democracy left and that's probably part of the reason they're not clamping down on doping - the dopers have more power than the fans.

Like Nicole Cooke writes, the "governance structure at the National Federation – British Cycling - ... is not responsible to anyone other than itself for its own actions. ... [On doping, it's] the wrong people fighting the wrong war, in the wrong way, with the wrong tools. Since both of these require the support and activity of management involved in the governance of sports, at a variety of levels, there are obviously areas of mutual inclusivity in the problematic areas."

It's cracking stuff. I'll read the rest later.
Am I? I am a member of British Cycling but not sure of the membership links between the two, I had always thought Scottish Cycling was just the bit of BC that was thrown some bawbees to cover stuff up here and not a separate entity.

Anyway, it's immaterial as it would have same outcome. I really just need to accept I am unlikely to race again rather than renew every year then not ride.

oldroadman

Veteran
I'd temper everything that Cooke says with her ability to be a loner in a crowd.
having read it, and her book some while ago, it's mainly quotes from that, and opinion mostly. Where's the fish shop? Needs to find one to balance the chip on the other shoulder (although the "submission" reads like the stuff Mr Cooke senior used to push out).
No doubt about the talent and ability, interesting that plenty of riders had no desire to be on a team with Ms Cooke, and if I recall correctly when her own team collapsed, didn't BC rescue the situation by creating a women's team (with a few token men) built around her? Selective memory about some things. But this was all about 10 years ago and things have moved on a bit since then. Some people like to bash BC based on opinion, and sometimes I expect they need bashing. personally I'd rather wait to see what comes out of the UKAD report (not a BC issue as anti-doping is now all under UKAD's remit).

SheilaH

having read it, and her book some while ago, it's mainly quotes from that, and opinion mostly. Where's the fish shop? Needs to find one to balance the chip on the other shoulder (although the "submission" reads like the stuff Mr Cooke senior used to push out).
No doubt about the talent and ability, interesting that plenty of riders had no desire to be on a team with Ms Cooke, and if I recall correctly when her own team collapsed, didn't BC rescue the situation by creating a women's team (with a few token men) built around her? Selective memory about some things. But this was all about 10 years ago and things have moved on a bit since then. Some people like to bash BC based on opinion, and sometimes I expect they need bashing. personally I'd rather wait to see what comes out of the UKAD report (not a BC issue as anti-doping is now all under UKAD's remit).

A snide, victim-blaming, smear attempt and personal attack on a woman, giving clear evidence on the institutional patriarchy (and incompetence) of British Cycling, and the disinterest and ineptitude of UKAD, following hot on the heels of the Jess Varnish affair which cited similar issues, and a parliamentary comittee investigating the Dan Stevens affair which ended with an excoriation of UKAD by an external review. So yeah...lets wait for the UKAD verdict :whistle:

Really classy, oldroadman, and not just a little dumb.

Meanwhile, the review conducted into BC/Sky by UK Sport has concluded. It is going to be made public next month, but key players have already received copies. Key player, Ian Drake, CEO of BC, has brought forward his planned resignation with immediate effect. Cant imagine there is a connection...

Last edited:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I've listened to some of the shoot talked about Nicole Cooke by older men involved in British Cycling in the past, and @oldroadman's patronising sexist guff is typical. However, a lot of it was even worse, centred on her looks, rumours about her sex life and suchlike. Cooke was an enormous talent, probably the most naturally gifted cyclist Britain has ever had, but she never achieved as much as she could have done because she has a brain in her head and isn't afraid to use it and she refused to conform to norms of femininity and 'knowing her place.' She is unequivocally my favourite British cyclist precisely because of this.

Viking

Agreed that Cooke was a great and underappreciated talent when she was competing but IMV, Beryl Burton has a good claim on the "greatest ever etc" honours.

Last edited:
Top Bottom