Froome and Wiggins TUEs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
thank goodness this is just a forum for opinion. Some of the posts on here (and some I've seen on road.cc) seem to be forum anyone who wants to destroy BC. Quite why they would want to do that is their problem, but I'll bet they'll never put their heads above the parapet and try to get elected then actually DO SOMETHING. After all, in their world the BC board should go and be replaced by...what? A board appointed by the govt. who know and care stuff all about the sport, but are right-on PC, and won't worry if membership, participation falls and GB success disappears because they have done "the right thing".
Expressing opinion is one thing, calling for downfall and resignations based on hearsay and Daily Mail type rubbish...silly.
Where is anyone calling for downfall and resignations?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Where is anyone calling for downfall and resignations?

Don't mention downfall, it will only tempt someone to post one of those stupid spoof videos...

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Don't mention downfall, it will only tempt someone to post one of those stupid spoof videos...

This is better than the videos

downfall.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
thank goodness this is just a forum for opinion. Some of the posts on here (and some I've seen on road.cc) seem to be forum anyone who wants to destroy BC. Quite why they would want to do that is their problem, but I'll bet they'll never put their heads above the parapet and try to get elected then actually DO SOMETHING.
They won't get elected. They probably won't even get nominated because nominations can only come from regional councils or national board - those who set the current direction!

The BC system is only one step away from becoming fully self-propagating like Sustrans. If you don't know the full horror of it, see https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/a...d-in-the-governance-of-British-Cycling-0?c=EN - the importance of a vibrant and accountable governance is clear from "This year... 2015" :laugh:

The BC president getting returned unopposed is just the crux of the problem: BC is not currently a functioning democracy.

After all, in their world the BC board should go and be replaced by...what? A board appointed by the govt.
No. How about democracy? Open nominations, hold some Q&As and debates, then let members vote, with proportional representation... but I doubt the veteran shirts (veteran jerseys?) mostly in charge will let that happen because it might see minorities elected rather than chosen ones appointed. Nicole Cooke on the board, anyone? Now that would be a refreshing change.

Personally, I'm mostly happy to ignore BC except when its rule fetishisms hinder charity events, but you did ask...

oldroadman

Veteran
They won't get elected. They probably won't even get nominated because nominations can only come from regional councils or national board - those who set the current direction!

The BC system is only one step away from becoming fully self-propagating like Sustrans. If you don't know the full horror of it, see https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/a...d-in-the-governance-of-British-Cycling-0?c=EN - the importance of a vibrant and accountable governance is clear from "This year... 2015" :laugh:

The BC president getting returned unopposed is just the crux of the problem: BC is not currently a functioning democracy.

No. How about democracy? Open nominations, hold some Q&As and debates, then let members vote, with proportional representation... but I doubt the veteran shirts (veteran jerseys?) mostly in charge will let that happen because it might see minorities elected rather than chosen ones appointed. Nicole Cooke on the board, anyone? Now that would be a refreshing change.

Personally, I'm mostly happy to ignore BC except when its rule fetishisms hinder charity events, but you did ask...
Well we should always be open to new thinking. What BC has become is a business and may well need a board which reflects that. The current set up (I just checked my handbook) is an electoral college, and your point about enfranchisement is interesting. The main thing seems to me that people who know how to run a business need to be in place. The existing board seems to come from volunteers with a sport background, and there has to be a place for them too.
It would take a massive change, and whether the members would accept it, who knows until they are asked, how many would actually even be interested enough to take part in any kind of survey where they would have to think about what they want rather than just slag off the current board/staff/officials? Which is a uniquely British sport!
Don't understand the last bit, what rules of racing (fetishisms?) affect charity rides?

Reactions: mjr

mjr

The current set up (I just checked my handbook) is an electoral college, and your point about enfranchisement is interesting.
And how are the members of that electoral college appointed? Is there any excuse for continuing with an electoral college now that communications are so quick and easy?

whether the members would accept it, who knows until they are asked,
I think "HSBC UK British Cycling" members will accept almost anything. They know what they're getting: BOGU. Membership numbers have gone up and I think the president and board returned unopposed yet again (I can't find the 2016 election results - can you?) despite the reported sexism and disability-discrimination at BC's highest levels last year. Also, when was the last time the members were asked a binding question?

Don't understand the last bit, what rules of racing (fetishisms?) affect charity rides?
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/velo-birmingham-anyone-applying.207238/post-4493356 amongst others. HSBC UK BC has a sportive-shaped cookie-cutter and insists that charity events conform or don't get listed.

oldroadman

Veteran
And how are the members of that electoral college appointed? Is there any excuse for continuing with an electoral college now that communications are so quick and easy?

I think "HSBC UK British Cycling" members will accept almost anything. They know what they're getting: BOGU. Membership numbers have gone up and I think the president and board returned unopposed yet again (I can't find the 2016 election results - can you?) despite the reported sexism and disability-discrimination at BC's highest levels last year. Also, when was the last time the members were asked a binding question?

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/velo-birmingham-anyone-applying.207238/post-4493356 amongst others. HSBC UK BC has a sportive-shaped cookie-cutter and insists that charity events conform or don't get listed.
Looking at the BC site it seems that events registered with BC (for which I suppose they get insurance cover) have a full listing. Some events not registered with BC are still on the site but without much detail except a link to the organisation running it. Now if you were insuring something perhaps you might want to do what you can to keep things as safe and claim free as possible, or may even have the insurers insisting on conditions of cover? I don't know.
But there are sportives and "charity rides" which sometimes are one and the same, and sometimes are not, I can't imagine BC would want to take on the local Rotary club 25km potter to help them raise a few bob for their charity of choice. Just because a sportive rider is doing a bit of fund raising it's still a sportive (or non-categorised road racing to some of those who prefer not to take part in real races).

mjr

The actions BC require organisers to take have little to do with safety, what with there being no evidence for them, and everything to do with various bigotries, from the old one against recumbent cycles to some much more modern ones.

Does The Jump drug test its athletes? ;)

SheilaH

Froome tells the BBC that WADA must tighten TUE regs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/38534318

Funny that Froome should have had an attack of morality during the 2015 Tour.

He had no such qualms one year earlier when he applied for a TUE for banned corticosteroids prior to the Tour de Romandie and had it fast-tracked, so that he could compete in that race.

He must have really needed it, poor lamb. Must be terrible having to race against world class competitors when you are so poorly that you need 40mg per day of Prednisolone.

Still, winning the overall race and winning the final time trial in front of world TT champion Tony Martin probably made up for feeling so poorly.

SWSteve

Guru
An apt metaphor for his retirement - jumping before he was pushed.

Strictly next year?

Maybe the elastic nature of his retirement/career/retirement/career/retirement finally snapped and his management told him to pack it in (the needle hanging above him probably helped Fuller tell Wiggins what to do)

Top Bottom