1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Froome and Wiggins TUEs

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by Joffey, 15 Sep 2016.

1. ColinJ

ColinJ Slow Hill Climber/Lift avoider!

Don't ever piss off Nicole Cooke!

Dogtrousers likes this.
  2. ColinJ

ColinJ Slow Hill Climber/Lift avoider!

I was standing at a sharp bend at the foot of a fast descent at Rivington for the Commonwealth Games women's road race in 2002. Nicole Cooke 'overCooke-d' it and almost crashed, losing touch with the leading group as a result. She clipped back in, chased back on, and then won the sprint for the gold medal. I thought at the time that she was a very determined young woman.

3. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

I have all the time in the world for Nicole Cooke.

Marmion likes this.
  4. I think none of our names are on her list. We're safe.

deptfordmarmoset likes this.
  5. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Huge Member

Nicole Cook is just confirming what we all knew in that women's cycling was treated second class to the men's . Getting back to the "package" , noted a comment about the Alain Baxter by someone and the hole he ended up in, it could well be the very reason they went to the lengths they did . However it does smell of sh.... and in the fullness of time if it does come out out that that doping was a cause then quite frankly it's hard to believe anything your told or witness on a cycling front. However the press in this country do have a habit of kicking folk in the spuds and putting them down .

6. SheilaH

SheilaH Guru

We already know that Wiggins used the TUE system to dope. As Jonathan Vaughters (ex-USPS, Wiggins's manager at Garmin) said, repeated use of Kenalog before a GT us "as old school as it gets".

Marmion likes this.
  7. Marmion likes this.
  8. coldash

coldash Senior Member

We know that Wiggins applied for and was granted TUEs. Beyond this is, is at present, conjecture.

Possibly the way forward is for all athletes in all sports to sign a waiver on confidentiality and for TUEs to be published. No waiver, no TUE granted.

9. Marmion

Marmion Guru

We also know he took the medication for which the TUE related.

10. DRM

DRM Senior Member

Having had a think about this, it's funny that this "fancy bears" lot hacked & released all this TUE data, creating a complete shoot storm in the British press, knowing that the journalists will turn themselves inside out trying to make something from nothing, then Russia release a press statement,saying "oops we did dope our athletes, but it wasn't state sponsored, sorry" which hardly gets above a days coverage in the press, while they are so stuck on this TUE circus.
    Now the use of a TUE is legal, other than being very badly handled, it's not as if Sky are sitting on the death star, attached to blood transfusions, while hiding used EPO vials in empty pop cans, they have pushed the boundaries, but this is not as things were in the past.

Viking likes this.
  11. We also know that he's got an official/plausible cover in his TUE. He may well have drawn some therapeutic benefit and he may well have drawn some performance advantage. At the moment I can't see this really going anywhere apart from giving nobodies like us the chance to air our highly worthwhile opinions on the internet.

I do wonder if, in terms of actual positive results, rather than just generating opinions, BC misuse of public funds on Sky projects might have a better chance of getting somewhere.

12. SheilaH

SheilaH Guru

Except its not just nobodies like us commenting, its high up people in and around the sport, and of all those in that position who have had their comments on Wiggins reported I have yet to see one that defends him.

On the contrary, see comments from Tom Dumoulin, Marcel Kittel, David Walsh, Jonathan Vaughters etc.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2016
    Marmion likes this.
  13. Marmion

Marmion Guru

It's nobodies like us that should matter most.

I am not sure what you mean by "results", as I do not think anyone is calling for anyone to be sent to jail or shot.

14. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Marginal gains, innit.

15. Neither do I really. Just something other than us having opinions.

Marmion likes this.