Froome and Wiggins TUEs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Nicole Cook is just confirming what we all knew in that women's cycling was treated second class to the men's . Getting back to the "package" , noted a comment about the Alain Baxter by someone and the hole he ended up in, it could well be the very reason they went to the lengths they did . However it does smell of sh.... and in the fullness of time if it does come out out that that doping was a cause then quite frankly it's hard to believe anything your told or witness on a cycling front. However the press in this country do have a habit of kicking folk in the spuds and putting them down .

SheilaH

We already know that Wiggins used the TUE system to dope. As Jonathan Vaughters (ex-USPS, Wiggins's manager at Garmin) said, repeated use of Kenalog before a GT us "as old school as it gets".

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This tweet made me laugh
upload_2016-12-31_10-29-24.png

coldash

Veteran
We know that Wiggins applied for and was granted TUEs. Beyond this is, is at present, conjecture.

Possibly the way forward is for all athletes in all sports to sign a waiver on confidentiality and for TUEs to be published. No waiver, no TUE granted.

We know that Wiggins applied for and was granted TUEs. Beyond this is, is at present, conjecture.

Possibly the way forward is for all athletes in all sports to sign a waiver on confidentiality and for TUEs to be published. No waiver, no TUE granted.
We also know he took the medication for which the TUE related.

DRM

Guru
Having had a think about this, it's funny that this "fancy bears" lot hacked & released all this TUE data, creating a complete shoot storm in the British press, knowing that the journalists will turn themselves inside out trying to make something from nothing, then Russia release a press statement,saying "oops we did dope our athletes, but it wasn't state sponsored, sorry" which hardly gets above a days coverage in the press, while they are so stuck on this TUE circus.
Now the use of a TUE is legal, other than being very badly handled, it's not as if Sky are sitting on the death star, attached to blood transfusions, while hiding used EPO vials in empty pop cans, they have pushed the boundaries, but this is not as things were in the past.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
We already know that Wiggins used the TUE system to dope. As Jonathan Vaughters (ex-USPS, Wiggins's manager at Garmin) said, repeated use of Kenalog before a GT us "as old school as it gets".
We also know that he's got an official/plausible cover in his TUE. He may well have drawn some therapeutic benefit and he may well have drawn some performance advantage. At the moment I can't see this really going anywhere apart from giving nobodies like us the chance to air our highly worthwhile opinions on the internet.

I do wonder if, in terms of actual positive results, rather than just generating opinions, BC misuse of public funds on Sky projects might have a better chance of getting somewhere.

SheilaH

Except its not just nobodies like us commenting, its high up people in and around the sport, and of all those in that position who have had their comments on Wiggins reported I have yet to see one that defends him.

On the contrary, see comments from Tom Dumoulin, Marcel Kittel, David Walsh, Jonathan Vaughters etc.

Last edited:
...apart from giving nobodies like us the chance to air our highly worthwhile opinions on the internet.
It's nobodies like us that should matter most.

I do wonder if, in terms of actual positive results, rather than just generating opinions, BC misuse of public funds on Sky projects might have a better chance of getting somewhere.
I am not sure what you mean by "results", as I do not think anyone is calling for anyone to be sent to jail or shot.

oldroadman

Veteran
We also know that he's got an official/plausible cover in his TUE. He may well have drawn some therapeutic benefit and he may well have drawn some performance advantage. At the moment I can't see this really going anywhere apart from giving nobodies like us the chance to air our highly worthwhile opinions on the internet.

That's yet to be proved, if as BC say they billed Sky for the staff time. No doubt there's proof of that as the accountants will have logged it?
In any case, who says public funds were used? remember BC gets money from commercial partnerships and subscriptions too.
I'll not be surprised if all the UK sport and Sport England money is fairly tightly ring fenced around projects, as that's the way these public funding bodies like to operate.
So it could well be that BC spent money from their Sky partnership funds and then recharged it to Sky team, effectively Sky paid twice - result!

That's yet to be proved, if as BC say they billed Sky for the staff time. No doubt there's proof of that as the accountants will have logged it?
In any case, who says public funds were used? remember BC gets money from commercial partnerships and subscriptions too.
I'll not be surprised if all the UK sport and Sport England money is fairly tightly ring fenced around projects, as that's the way these public funding bodies like to operate.
So it could well be that BC spent money from their Sky partnership funds and then recharged it to Sky team, effectively Sky paid twice - result!
The risk of "blurred lines" were warned of: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bri...ky-relationship-months-before-copes-delivery/

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You're right about it bein unproven @oldroadman I was just speculating about ways that this business might move to concrete results from incomplete information and opinions.

oldroadman

Veteran
thank goodness this is just a forum for opinion. Some of the posts on here (and some I've seen on road.cc) seem to be forum anyone who wants to destroy BC. Quite why they would want to do that is their problem, but I'll bet they'll never put their heads above the parapet and try to get elected then actually DO SOMETHING. After all, in their world the BC board should go and be replaced by...what? A board appointed by the govt. who know and care stuff all about the sport, but are right-on PC, and won't worry if membership, participation falls and GB success disappears because they have done "the right thing".
Expressing opinion is one thing, calling for downfall and resignations based on hearsay and Daily Mail type rubbish...silly.

Top Bottom