Froome and Wiggins TUEs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At a loose end today so, I've been reading around the internet, including some of the more ... er ... tin-foil-hat-wearing areas. Buried in amongst some flaky sensationalist writing I'm seeing the following theory - and it does make some sense :

Froome was using oral salbutamol as a weight-loss PED (it is used for weight loss in bodybuilding circles and has been touted as a potential obesity treatment). His use via an inhaler for asthma is just a cover to explain its presence in the body and he may not actually have asthma at all.

I actually think that's quite plausible.

Reasons I find it plausible:
Oral use would explain the reading of double the upper limit. Inhaled use just doesn't.
It would match the pattern of using a theraputically-explicable drug to aid weight loss that Sky seem to have established with Wiggins. (Wiggins needed a TUE for Kenacort, Froome just needed to stay under the allowable limit for Salbutamol).

Reasons I'm inclined to disbelieve it.
If you were using a PED for weight loss then surely the time to use it is during training, not in competition.

Reasons I don't care
We'll probably never get to the truth of this anyway, so it's pointless speculating.

(Takes off tin foil hat.)
I dread to think how many dribbling loony posts in The Clinic you've actually read.

hoopdriver

Guru
He’s been treated for asthma since he was ten. That is certainly plotting well ahead, isn’t it?

hoopdriver

Guru
It would be hard to over speculate, but i personally dont think he cheated knowingly,If that makes sense,i just cant see him having won the Tour then going into the Vuelta after 18 stages taking that sort of risk ? Being tested every day he knew what was coming.My guess would be that they will ban him for missuse,accidently taking more than allowed.I dont think it will be too long and i dont think he will have his victory taken off him.
Thats me being positive,he cant be that stupid after 10 plus years as a pro.Hes at the top of his game anyway,strange to take that sort of risk then.
On another note,it could well be the unravelling of sky if it is proven.
This makes far more sense. There is no logic or benefit for him to attempt to cheat in this way or with this drug. An unfortunate accident which will cost him dearly.

Siclo

Veteran
The reason I find that entirely plausible is partly because it fits the Sky modus operandi with Wiggins, and also because it provides an explanation for the high test value, which inhaler use does not. That said, it does seem an unlikely drug to cheat with mid-race.

The double walled tin-foil hat theory goes:

Use as a PED in high doses during off-season for weight loss.
Extract blood while loaded on salbutamol
Infuse blood after bad day in Vuelta.
Be way over the limit.

This all depends on if you think the peloton is still blood doping

Adam4868

Guru
There's something fishy about it that's for sure.Who leaked the story ? Cookson knew about it when he went on TV to say sky needed their reputation back.I guess Lappartient knew to...who's interest was it to let the story out ?

D

Deleted member 1258

It would be hard to over speculate, but i personally dont think he cheated knowingly,If that makes sense,i just cant see him having won the Tour then going into the Vuelta after 18 stages taking that sort of risk ? Being tested every day he knew what was coming.My guess would be that they will ban him for missuse,accidently taking more than allowed.I dont think it will be too long and i dont think he will have his victory taken off him.
Thats me being positive,he cant be that stupid after 10 plus years as a pro.Hes at the top of his game anyway,strange to take that sort of risk then.
On another note,it could well be the unravelling of sky if it is proven.

Yes, I'm inclined to think this is a cock up of some sort.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
There's something fishy about it that's for sure.Who leaked the story ? Cookson knew about it when he went on TV to say sky needed their reputation back.I guess Lappartient knew to...who's interest was it to let the story out ?

Great minds think alike - viz. you and Big Tex...

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/3933/...hing-is-not-right-about-the-way-this-unfolded

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's definitely that. Someone screwed up. What's unclear is what they were doing when they screwed up.

That's been my speculative view all along. It isn't a screw up of legitimate salbutamol use. Sky were carefully managing his intake to maximise effect whilst remaining within limits. And then something went wrong and, in a pressured situation, a serious miscalculation was made

D

Deleted member 1258

That's been my speculative view all along. It isn't a screw up of legitimate salbutamol use. Sky were carefully managing his intake to maximise effect whilst remaining within limits. And then something went wrong and, in a pressured situation, a serious miscalculation was made

Yes, I'm thinking along similar lines.

Top Bottom