Froome and Wiggins TUEs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
We're not talking about the kind of weight loss that we mortals are familar with: getting rid of the gut. We are talking about cutting every last ounce of fat while leaving the lean mass intact. This is where the pharmaceuticals come in handy.
Exactly.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In any case, I'm not sure there's very much more to be said right now until Sky come up with their explanation for the AAF.

I'd have thought Murdoch's deal with Disney has also got to be a worry for Sky.
Why worry? A good fairy story seems like it could help Team Sky right about now ;)

Anyway, I read a long Q&A over the last week at https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2017/dec/14/chris-froome-failed-drug-test-live-webchat which might interest some.

Ajax Bay

Guru
In May 1994, Induráin tested positive for salbutamol following the Tour de L'Oise in France. Though the β2-adrenergic agonist, found in nasal inhalers, was on the controlled substances list of both the IOC and UCI, both organizations permitted sportsmen with asthma to use it. However, in France there was an outright ban on its use.[22] The IOC agreed with the UCI that Induráin would not be punished for using a drug banned outright in France because they accepted the salbutamol was contained in a nasal inhaler he had been using legitimately to aid his respiration. In Spain, the incident was interpreted as another case of the French attempting to hinder Induráin's domination of the sport.[23]
NB Another multiple Grand Tour (x7?) winner who suffered from asthma.

Last edited:

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Bloody autocorrect.

Yeah, very scary. I knew a potentially great boxer who first told me about hitting the weight limit. He reckoned the big secret to his success was his ability to drop down over night then get back up before the actual fight. He eventually died of his injuries sustained in the ring.

Had first hand experience of this in a hotel gym in Chattanooga last week.

College kids using our hotel as a base for a wrestling competition. Went to the gym very late in the evening (around 11pm). There they all were. Thermostat turned up to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Layered up in thick tracksuits and hoodies, sweating bucket loads over all the gym bikes, cross trainers and treadmills. Not a sports drink or humble glass of water in sight. Not a pleasant experience!

Slick

Guru
Had first hand experience of this in a hotel gym in Chattanooga last week.

College kids using our hotel as a base for a wrestling competition. Went to the gym very late in the evening (around 11pm). There they all were. Thermostat turned up to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Layered up in thick tracksuits and hoodies, sweating bucket loads over all the gym bikes, cross trainers and treadmills. Not a sports drink or humble glass of water in sight. Not a pleasant experience!
Potentially extremely dangerous.

Yeah, ouch. I'm not sure he's right about Sky overall, they've basically bought success and quite a few riders have gone to them and not done well but he is right about Froome ultimately being responsible and it's the first I've read of him taking his inhaler prior to the doping test; seems odd that.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm not sure why they keep asking Lemond for his opinions as he never has any more insight or insider knowledge than the rest of us.

grellboy

Veteran
Further to Lemons reference a few posts back, that's the second article I have read tonight suggesting Froome will claim to have exceeded limit due to post race consumption so that he wouldn't cough during tv interviews. Apart from the fact that this seems a defence that is very unlikely to succeed, does anyone know of the provenance of this rumour?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Further to Lemons reference a few posts back, that's the second article I have read tonight suggesting Froome will claim to have exceeded limit due to post race consumption so that he wouldn't cough during tv interviews. Apart from the fact that this seems a defence that is very unlikely to succeed, does anyone know of the provenance of this rumour?
I haven't read the rumour but I have several times seen him interviewed after a hard stage when he was coughing a lot.

Tin Pot

Guru
Just an aside, but I thought exercise induced asthma was bollocks until I realised I had it.

Coughing all day and coughing myself to sleep after a run this lunchtime .
:cursing:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
In all the races i have seen, as soon as the race leader crosses the line, they take them straight into a private tent, take urine samples and change well before TV interviews take place...........so i think that stance is b*******s

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In all the races i have seen, as soon as the race leader crosses the line, they take them straight into a private tent, take urine samples and change well before TV interviews take place...........so i think that stance is b*******s
I think sometimes they get a doping control officer staying in sight of them until they give samples, after the interviews and podium protocol especially if the stage was slower than forecast and the TV time is running out.

I don't know what happened that day and I'd be surprised it could show up in urine so quickly... but we don't know if this is the defence anyway!

Sharky

Guru
Wasn't there a case of a rider smuggling in somebody else's urine. The testers could not find any evidence of drugs, but told him he was pregnant.

Top Bottom