Fuel duty cut will cost £500,000,000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRHysted

Guru
I know just how you feel. But some of my Toryboy friends have explained it all to me. Apparently we plebs just have to trust the posh boys and it will all work out fine for them.

Are you talking about torys or labour?

The biggest growth in gap between income levels happened during the 13 years that labour were in power. There is no difference between any of them, I wish there was.

Remember historicly Labour have left government when the country was skint, Torys have left with money in the bank (but not in our pockets).

benb

Evidence based cyclist
A startling generalization, for someone with the tag of "evidence based cyclist"!
That's a fair point. I should obviously have said "In my experience"

green1

Über Member
Price private cars off the road. What a wonderful idea. Please allow me to buy you beer next time we meet.
Would that be a beer that has has it's ingrediants grown, brewed and delivery to the pub without use of an internal combustion engine?

Alun

Guru
Would that be a beer that has has it's ingrediants grown, brewed and delivery to the pub without use of an internal combustion engine?
They used to deliver Tetley's around Leeds city centre pubs by horse and dray until recently(ish), not convinced that the hops were delivered to the brewery by the same method though

martint235

Dog on a bike
Not sure it's relevant. I'm not particularly green just don't like whining motorists. However I refer the honourable member to the top previous not fussy comment

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
this isn't about U-turns. It's not even about the fuel tax. It's about the collapse in tax revenue and the uncontrolled growth in public spending. This is the most profligate government in history, and the shocking thing is that this profligacy is unplanned and unmanaged.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Do they use private cars to deliver beer these days?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That depends how other people respond.

I'm not sure what would happen if we recalculated the result of 2010 on the basis of a 100% redistribution of Lib Dem votes to Labour!

But 100% of LibDem voters would never ever vote 100% Labour. Many of us would probably spoil our ballots or abstain if forced to chose only between Labour and Tory. (and until such time as no member of Labour's war government is active at the top of the party I'll not vote for them again)

byegad

Legendary Member
You also need to factor in the other costs related to motoring - IIRC the true cost of running a car is something like 24p a mile, so driving those extra five miles for cheap petrol is even more of a false economy than gavintc has made it sound.

Without wear and tear, like tyres, brake pads etc.etc.etc. My car costs me just over £800/annum to stand on the front with VED, insurance, MOT and a service. At 40mpg it costs around 15.5p/mile in fuel. I drive around 5500 miles a year so total cost/mile is around 30p/mile or 40p if I factor in the odd tyre and brake pad replacement. THEN you need to add in the cost of the car less the trade in value when I sell it. Which last time I swapped cars came to around 19p per mile driven.

So the total cost for me is around 60p/mile. If I covered a much higher annual mileage the capital cost/mile would fall by a good chunk, although wear and tear costs would rise.

Linford

Without wear and tear, like tyres, brake pads etc.etc.etc. My car costs me just over £800/annum to stand on the front with VED, insurance, MOT and a service. At 40mpg it costs around 15.5p/mile in fuel. I drive around 5500 miles a year so total cost/mile is around 30p/mile or 40p if I factor in the odd tyre and brake pad replacement. THEN you need to add in the cost of the car less the trade in value when I sell it. Which last time I swapped cars came to around 19p per mile driven.

So the total cost for me is around 60p/mile. If I covered a much higher annual mileage the capital cost/mile would fall by a good chunk, although wear and tear costs would rise.

Ultimately, the only way you can reduce the cost per mile of car ownership is to actually use it more - thanks in greater part to VED, and insurance premium tax - as well as VAT on servicing, and consumables, and that is before you even start the engine.

If the gov were truly demanding that car mileage falls, it would reduce the taxes on static ownership cost, and increase the tax on the fuel duty to make people think long and hard about what they consider to be essential mileage.

Banning private cars from the road is really a dumb idea as the alternatives are very disjointed, and for the greater part impractical, but I do believe that a bit of joined up thinking could actually retain the utility requirement whilst reducing private car journey miles, and thus make the roads a nicer and safer place to be for all.

BSRU

A Human Being
They used to deliver Tetley's around Leeds city centre pubs by horse and dray until recently(ish), not convinced that the hops were delivered to the brewery by the same method though
Ironically when the car first appeared on the streets it was regarded as the "green" alternative to horses because the streets were full of dead horses and tonnes of horse manure.(Assuming QI is correct)

Top Bottom